GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

kimchee411

BTW, after settling for a week or two the ride quality is AWESOME. It was maybe a tad too stiff for my liking initially, but now soaks up bumps really nicely while remaining tight and well controlled. Definitely not floaty and you do feel the bumps (I call that feedback), but not hard or crashy at all.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I can only hear it when driving at slow speeds, especially over gravel/rough surfaces.

Pretty damn sure it's the bump stops. I noticed when first putting on the mount/dust cover/bump stop assembly that it went on really tight and I really had to push down. I just took one off again to inspect and when I put it on and slowly push down all the way to the bottom of travel where it hits the bump stop, then give it some hard pushes from there, I hear the same creaky rubber noise.

The OEM rear bump stops are very long and I think there is very little travel before hitting them on my setup, which is almost as mild as it gets (H&R OE Sport are supposedly about -.0.75") . They need to be trimmed or replaced with shorter ones and/or possibly bored out a bit and/or lubricated so they are not so squeaky. Not sure if they're supposed to be that tight. This is my first go at working on suspension and I don't remember if they were that tight coming off the OEM shocks.

Anyway, I didn't have right zip ties to remove the dust covers and put them back on so I didn't trim them. I did make sure to push the bump stops firmly up to the mounts before reinstalling and the push test yielded slightly better results on the side I worked on--I basically had to sit in the trunk and bounce a little to hear it on that side--but I still hear it while driving slowly.

Is there anything that needs to be done to install the bump stops other than just putting them on? Like is there a notch they settle into or something?

I'm going to take it in to my local shop this week to let them handle it and will report back.

Anyone running Koni yellows with OEM bump stops and lowering springs NOT getting creaky noises from the rear?

An easy test would be cut the OEM zip ties off the dust boot and pull it down to reveal the bump stop & see how much clearance/travel you have. Then, if you want to test further, have someone else push down on the rear of the car and see if the bump stop is compressing & making the noise....that's an easy test.
If it is, trim the bump stop then to allow for more travel

Then just zip tie the dust boot around the bump stop again.

But, no, there is no "notch" for the rear bump stop. It just slides snuggly into the the upper shock mount cup

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
BTW, after settling for a week or two the ride quality is AWESOME. It was maybe a tad too stiff for my liking initially, but now soaks up bumps really nicely while remaining tight and well controlled. Definitely not floaty and you do feel the bumps (I call that feedback), but not hard or crashy at all.

Agreed that compression was too stiff the first couple days. Much better now.

Yep, I think 1.5 turns may have been too much. Hwy speed dips and bumps were feeling less floaty but more frequent with 1.5 turns. Really though I believe this is more about matching the spring rates than anything else. Something between 1.0 and 1.5 turns from soft should be perfect for mine, will try 1.25 next time.

What did you do with the rears Sam?

I made a mistake. When I went to re-adjust, I discovered my driver side was .5 from soft and passenger was 1.5 from soft. No wonder the bouncy came back. Ran 1.25/1.25 over the weekend and it felt great. Will try 1.75/1.75 some time this week.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I made a mistake. When I went to re-adjust, I discovered my driver side was .5 from soft and passenger was 1.5 from soft. No wonder the bouncy came back. Ran 1.25/1.25 over the weekend and it felt great. Will try 1.75/1.75 some time this week.

1.75 turns from soft in the fronts (almost full stiff) didn't feel much different than 1.25 turns. I imagine at a certain point the difference will probably only be noticeable when shifting weight quickly from one side of the car to the other during slalom / auto x. Too stiff and maybe the inside wheels don't rebound quickly enough? Might dial it back to 1.25 just so I've got more stiff to dial in when the dampers inevitably loosen up with age.

kimchee411

An easy test would be cut the OEM zip ties off the dust boot and pull it down to reveal the bump stop & see how much clearance/travel you have. Then, if you want to test further, have someone else push down on the rear of the car and see if the bump stop is compressing & making the noise....that's an easy test.
If it is, trim the bump stop then to allow for more travel

Then just zip tie the dust boot around the bump stop again.

But, no, there is no "notch" for the rear bump stop. It just slides snuggly into the the upper shock mount cup

Good thinking!

I just took it in today and indeed it was the bump stops. Tech said it was basically sitting on them at rest and he trimmed them. Problem solved!

Now that the creaking is gone I'm hearing an existing interior rattle more clearly, which is annoying the hell out of me. :D

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Good thinking!

I just took it in today and indeed it was the bump stops. Tech said it was basically sitting on them at rest and he trimmed them. Problem solved!

Now that the creaking is gone I'm hearing an existing interior rattle more clearly, which is annoying the hell out of me. :D

Glad that you were able to resolve this, I have to go back and fix mine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Finally had time to work on the car and very happy to report that the noise is gone.

Many thanks for all the input.

Kimchee411 was spot on ,the bump stops are the issue and I never gave it a second thought , basically it will make the same noise even when bench testing it.

Went for a drive an I love my car again lol

symbiotix

Passed Driver's Ed
Just chiming in here for some guidance. I have ordered a set of Konis and the US Pro Kit (Konis on back order till mid June). I am in the process of doing my research and prepping for install so I appreciate this informative thread.

I have ordered new hardware and strut bearings but I was curious if new strut mounts were absolutely necessary? If so it sounds like OEM is the way to go?

Also how does the top nut install on the Konis? I gather it is different from the stock dampers as it likely doesn't use an allen key. The reason I ask is because I want to have all the tools needed for install (looking for an excuse to buy new tools ;)

Thanks in advance!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just chiming in here for some guidance. I have ordered a set of Konis and the US Pro Kit (Konis on back order till mid June). I am in the process of doing my research and prepping for install so I appreciate this informative thread.

I have ordered new hardware and strut bearings but I was curious if new strut mounts were absolutely necessary? If so it sounds like OEM is the way to go?

Also how does the top nut install on the Konis? I gather it is different from the stock dampers as it likely doesn't use an allen key. The reason I ask is because I want to have all the tools needed for install (looking for an excuse to buy new tools ;)

Thanks in advance!

Dunno about the fronts, but the rears use an allen key and top not.

I took my rears off last night and adjusted them to 1.5 stiff. I think they came from the factory close to full soft. Drove on them today. Too stiff. I probably should have listened to Jay from the start and went 1 full turn front and rear.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Oh wow. You trimmed off a lot. I trimmed some off of mine, but it must not have been enough. I'll take off even more this weekend.
Finally had time to work on the car and very happy to report that the noise is gone.

Many thanks for all the input.

Kimchee411 was spot on ,the bump stops are the issue and I never gave it a second thought , basically it will make the same noise even when bench testing it.

Went for a drive an I love my car again lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Oh wow. You trimmed off a lot. I trimmed some off of mine, but it must not have been enough. I'll take off even more this weekend.

Yeah, quite short. I will cut just the top off mine this weekend when I take them back off. They don't make any noise, I just don't like losing the travel.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

I should’ve give out a bit more info, the trimmed part on the pic is the bottom part and that was left out of the shock, the upper part stayed in. If in doubt you can check for noises by compressing the shock fully and simulate bouncing on it , my car is silent now, love it

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ah, that makes more sense. What is that white ring designed to do?