GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty work failure, proper etiquette when dealing with VW?

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
I fed the trolls, then I actually tried arguing with the trolls, just better to leave it be.

Several of you guys get real snarky behind a keyboard. It's pretty shitty to ask an honest question(s) and get jumped on by a bunch of keyboard warriors. We ain't perfect, who cares if my question was strange? Ya'll don't gotta be dicks about it.

I guess it makes you guys feel better about yourselves:confused:

We're not trying to fight with you man, honestly, just your initial statements were thing that come off as condescending/offensive to those of us that work as techs.

I apologize for my initail post, just please keep in mind for those of us still in the industry:

Claiming you never made a mistake is just not possible or you're purposefully being a dick; we all have made mistakes, no one can enter a field as a master in their craft, or they weren't in it long enough to have any chance of error.

And repeatedly referring to ASE certs is either a sign of someone green or an elitist. ASE certs, for those of us who have them, know they're stupidly easy, multiple choice tests, that just get you a few cents more an hour and allow the owner to put a sticker on the wall (Que the flames from those whom have spent hundreds of dollars on them).

As to your original post: You're entirely within your right to ask them to look over the job. My original comment wasn't entirely snarky: I'd check it over and give them exact points as to what you are concerned about, but I still believe if you've driven it a full day (and it's clearly still warranty) why not simply reseat the intake and drive it in?

A tech missaligning a calmp doesn't mean the whole job was botched, and ideally you talk to the tech directly and allow him to make it right.

This is assuming of course he's not a dick about it, and in which case take it to another dealer/shop to be evaluated.

Again; My apologies I'm trying to proactive in this community and not off-putting, I just responded before my morning coffee

Last edited:

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Anyways,

They came by today and fixed the car in my driveway. They are really good guys, and I feel this is one of the better overall experiences with vehicle service in my 25 years of owning cars.

I always give these guys good reviews, and I have a survey to do for them for this job and I will still give them high marks.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
And repeatedly referring to ASE certs is either a sign of someone green or an elitist. ASE certs, for those of us who have them, know they're stupidly easy, multiple choice tests, that just get you a few cents more an hour and allow the owner to put a sticker on the wall (Que the flames from those whom have spent hundreds of dollars on them).

I have multiple ASE certs, working on Master Tech. While I don't feel they mean much, it is important for an indie shop to have an ASE Master Tech, as it gives the shop the option for AAA certification and so on so forth. I, like you said, only get cents raise for each cert, but a few dollars for Master Tech, so getting it is worth it. Never spent a dollar on the tests as my employer pays for the first try, and I have always passed on the first try. Real world experience trumps studying for them so far.

I have had issues with my car, the dealership, and VWoA. I have let them know my experience, along with the fact that I have had to diagnose every issue with the car due to the dealership shop foreman, as well as the VWoA quality control technician being unable or unwilling to diagnose the issues, as well as blaming them on things that could in no way cause the issues. Pretty embarrassing that an indie tech who works and has to specialize on almost every make sold in NA can diagnose issues that people who supposedly know everything about one make can't figure out.

But I am a total elitist having grown up in the industry. So I should probably go suck some dicks and fuck off or whatever. Thanks to these forums and my unending browsing and learning, I also end up teaching the class and the instructors things that even the dealership employee's don't ever learn about. Toot toot, blowing my own horn here, look how awesome and cool I am... fuck. Anyways I love you guys :D

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
A hose was accidentally left disconnected/loose and then you started questioning the whole car & work/job in general....even referring to a 2016 GTI as a "hooptie" I might add.
Seems a little extreme

But no...you went even further to suggest having it towed to the dealer, then fully inspected, and then having VW possibly eat the last 5 lease payments as well

That's a little much. If it ain't broke, there's nothing (else) for them to fix though.
And you still have time left on the warranty, and that's what it's there for
That's what VW would've told you too.
The DSG "broke" and they fixed it (already)....case closed.

The hose being loose is on the dealer, but it sounds like you made a bigger deal about it then you needed to (IMO).
All you had to do was call/tell them & they would've made it right....life goes on

Making a mountain out of a molehill

takemorepills

Ready to race!
A hose was accidentally left disconnected/loose and then you started questioning the whole car & work/job in general....even referring to a 2016 GTI as a "hooptie" I might add.
Seems a little extreme

But no...you went even further to suggest having it towed to the dealer, then fully inspected, and then having VW possibly eat the last 5 lease payments as well

That's a little much. If it ain't broke, there's nothing (else) for them to fix though.
And you still have time left on the warranty, and that's what it's there for
That's what VW would've told you too.
The DSG "broke" and they fixed it (already)....case closed.

The hose being loose is on the dealer, but it sounds like you made a bigger deal about it then you needed to (IMO).
All you had to do was call/tell them & they would've made it right....life goes on

Making a mountain out of a molehill

Do you feel better now?

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
Do you feel better now?

You asked for opinions... :D

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I fed the trolls, then I actually tried arguing with the trolls, just better to leave it be.

Several of you guys get real snarky behind a keyboard. It's pretty shitty to ask an honest question(s) and get jumped on by a bunch of keyboard warriors. We ain't perfect, who cares if my question was strange? Ya'll don't gotta be dicks about it.

I guess it makes you guys feel better about yourselves:confused:

just an fyi for you.
i recently went to my local dealer with the complaint of a coolant smell. i had an appt. dropped the car off for the day. diagnosed as a faulty thermostat housing. they asked to keep thecar overnight cause they couldn’t finish it that day. no problem i say. picked up the car on my lunch the next day ( friday). didn’t even make it back to work before the coolant light came on, car pissing coolant.
called the dealer to tell them the car is coming back on a tow. they offered a rental for the weekend. picked the car up monday after work.

could i have screamed and yelled at them. could i have started a thread on the interwebs complaining. maybe. instead i treated them the exact same way i would want to be treated.
try it sometime.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
no shit? did you not see the issue was resolved without your genius input? holy fuck man...thanks for yesterdays advice, I guess? or, are you just a troll late to the bash party? I think the latter....:rolleyes:

adam1991

Banned
wow, other people process things differently than you do! Then it shall be your job to go online and make light of how wrong people are compared to your perfect way of assessing things!

<we shall all be the same, non-conformative thinking shall be trolled upon with impunity!>

You made a mountain out of a molehill, and the world called you out on it.

The world is not obligated to honor and embrace what you think and do simply because you think and do it.

And part of what we responded to was that you told this story in public in the first place.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You asked a question and most of the answers were similar.

I'm too lazy to look for the Morgan Freeman "They're right you know" GIF