GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with new installed wheels and springs

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Are you running hubcentric rings? Maybe one got left behind on the hub and is acting as a spacer.

That is really poor service with no attention to detail, especially considering the price. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Good chance this is correct.

2x hubcentric rings on one wheel and 0x on another. The tend to stick on the hubs when the wheel is removed.

Tech would really have to be a hack to not notice, but generally master techs aren't doing wheel swaps.

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
When you took it back I bet they didn't do another alignment. When they did the alignment it was set with the wrong offset, being the wheel was on the front instead the rear. That's why the camber is off on that side. since they said they can't do anymore for you I would take it to another shop and get the alignment check and if its out have the shop print the spec before any adjustments and have the first place pay for it.*

correct, but 4 days ago they did alignment again with new setup and still rear-driver side is inside the fender about 5mm compare to the passenger side. they told me to drive it for a week and if i have i problem i can bring it back. i just made an appointment for Monday morning and i will go to the dealer for the last time, otherwise i will fight for the money to get it back! :mad:

OP, why 2 threads on the same topic?

i posted this problem in 2 different websites, i think it's OK to hear the answers from different peoples :rolleyes:

This is normal, unfortunately

The rear subframe is offset a little, making the rear passenger wheel stick out just a HAIR further, to make room for the gas filler neck

so all the GTI drivers have the same problem like me?!

What are the specs on the wheels?

Front: 19x8.5 ET45
Rear: 19x8.5 ET35
Tires: 235/35/19

OP says about 1 inch diff L/R
I do not think 1 inch can be by design

Also I do not buy into the alignment done with diff offset as being the cause. Camber angle shall be the same regardless of the offset

OP did you had time to take a pic from the rear?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I just took some pictures and they are not perfect, now is better after the second alignment but still i think rear-driver side needs to be outside the fender for 5mm (or maybe more)

You paid a thousand almost for spring and alignment? Which local dealer hosed you like this?

well, that was the cheapest price that i could find! it's a Fox Valley VW in Schaumburg, IL

That's definitely NOT a 1" difference in those pics, look at the tire sidewall on the driver's side and then on the passenger side.
Maybe 5mm difference, or 10mm max.

Anyways...check out the MK5/MK6/Tiguan/CC (complaints)....all the newer VW's are like this & when you go low(er), that's when you notice it:
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136918

you are right sir.

Are you running hubcentric rings? Maybe one got left behind on the hub and is acting as a spacer.

That is really poor service with no attention to detail, especially considering the price. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Yes, i do have running hub centric rings. i gave them 4 aluminium rings to install them with the wheels.

Good chance this is correct.

2x hubcentric rings on one wheel and 0x on another. The tend to stick on the hubs when the wheel is removed.

Tech would really have to be a hack to not notice, but generally master techs aren't doing wheel swaps.

so do i have to ask them to remove the wheels and check it again in Monday? :(

=================================

I'm really tired of this problem and keep going back to the dealer. i need to know if (technically) is there any way that they push the rear-driver wheel out just like the passenger side or not? without using any spacer or anything. if they can not fix it why they told me to bring it back when they can not do anything to it!

I'm going back again for the 5th time this Monday and really don't know what i need to do over there!

Thank you all :)

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I think you should be able to visually tell if there is a ring acting as a spacer between the wheel and hub. Does the wheel fully seat against the hub or is there a gap? Can you take out one wheel bolt on each side? The number of full turns to install the wheel bolt should be the same for both sides.

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you should be able to visually tell if there is a ring acting as a spacer between the wheel and hub. Does the wheel fully seat against the hub or is there a gap? Can you take out one wheel bolt on each side? The number of full turns to install the wheel bolt should be the same for both sides.

I will take some close-up photos from the hub tomorrow. but last time when i checked the wheels, i could not see any space or rings like spacer on the center of the wheels and i could not see any gap.

you mean that i should take one bolt from both rear wheels and check the turns when i'm going to install them back? :eek:

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I just took some pictures and they are not perfect, now is better after the second alignment but still i think rear-driver side needs to be outside the fender for 5mm (or maybe more)

You think the driver side is the problem? IMO, the issue is the passenger side sticking out too far and that is where I would concentrate the troubleshooting.

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
you mean that i should take one bolt from both rear wheels and check the turns when i'm going to install them back? :eek:
I would. For example, if you get 5 turns to fully torque on one side and 9 on the other side then that is a clear indication something is acting as a spacer.

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
You think the driver side is the problem? IMO, the issue is the passenger side sticking out too far and that is where I would concentrate the troubleshooting.

to be honest, right now, i do not have any idea which side is the problem! i just want them to be even :(

I would. For example, if you get 5 turns to fully torque on one side and 9 on the other side then that is a clear indication something is acting as a spacer.

i will try it, thanks a lot

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If the hub ring was "acting like a spacer"....there would be a CRAZY wobble back there from the wheel not sitting properly

The wheel is BARELY sticking out...say 5mm or so

Again...it's 100% normal & on every vehicle for the fuel neck. It becomes more noticeable when you're lowered & you're going for that "hella flush" look though

Buy a 5mm spacer for the driver's side to even it out & call it a day, if you're really worried about
Shifting the rear subframe MIGHT be an option, but I haven't seen anyone successfully do it to even it out.

Outside of that you're stressing out & wasting your and your dealer's time over something they can't fix, seriously

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The camber being off is probably enough to visually tell a difference.

Them saying they “can’t” get it any better is complete bs, they’re just lazy...which boils my blood since they took you to the cleaners on labor.

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything, but do you have any tools at home to try and diagnose yourself? If you have the ability to change a flat tire, you should be able rule out everything other than the alignment being off.

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
These are some close-up pictures from the wheels.

Driver-Side:

Passenger-Side:

If the hub ring was "acting like a spacer"....there would be a CRAZY wobble back there from the wheel not sitting properly

The wheel is BARELY sticking out...say 5mm or so

Again...it's 100% normal & on every vehicle for the fuel neck. It becomes more noticeable when you're lowered & you're going for that "hella flush" look though

Buy a 5mm spacer for the driver's side to even it out & call it a day, if you're really worried about
Shifting the rear subframe MIGHT be an option, but I haven't seen anyone successfully do it to even it out.

Outside of that you're stressing out & wasting your and your dealer's time over something they can't fix, seriously

I do not want to waste my time and the dealers time, but if they can not fix it, they should tell me that they can't. first time when i went to the dealer and ask them why this wheels is poked more compare to other side, they told me that "we did it on purpose, because of the alignment", but this time i will go to do something different, if they can not fix it, i will not waste my time and dealer time, then i go and get an spacer to fix it! :(:eek:

I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything, but do you have any tools at home to try and diagnose yourself? If you have the ability to change a flat tire, you should be able rule out everything other than the alignment being off.

but the money that i paid it's killing me, i did not pay to fix it by myself! :eek:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I do not want to waste my time and the dealers time, but if they can not fix it, they should tell me that they can't. first time when i went to the dealer and ask them why this wheels is poked more compare to other side, they told me that "we did it on purpose, because of the alignment", but this time i will go to do something different, if they can not fix it, i will not waste my time and dealer time, then i go and get an spacer to fix it! :(:eek:

Sounds like your dealer is not as familiar with VWs offset rear subframe as the forums are and they gave you the best answer they could. I've had 2 generations of VWs now, both of them lowered with very flush wheel fitments and they both had more poke on the passenger rear with completely even camber. This is by design from VW (though it's not exactly something VW put out a bulletin for I'm sure) to give clearance to the fuel filler neck, but it isn't really noticable at stock height.

You either get to ignore it, or put a 3-6mm spacer on the opposite side with appropriately longer bolts to even it out. That's it, not a big deal. Nothing to "fix".

Pics for clicks, hopefully you can see the offset difference. No rear spacers, 18x9 ET45 wheels, -1.8 degree rear camber even:

20180127_142209_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20180127_142153_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Last edited:

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like your dealer is not as familiar with VWs offset rear subframe as the forums are and they gave you the best answer they could. I've had 2 generations of VWs now, both of them lowered with very flush wheel fitments and they both had more poke on the passenger rear with completely even camber. This is by design from VW (though it's not exactly something VW put out a bulletin for I'm sure) to give clearance to the fuel filler neck, but it isn't really noticable at stock height.

You either get to ignore it, or put a 3-6mm spacer on the opposite side with appropriately longer bolts to even it out. That's it, not a big deal. Nothing to "fix".

can i ask them to re-adjust the rear subframe? is it possible to fix the problem with just adjust the subframe? and about the spacers you are right, it can be fixed with spacers and the only reason that i got these wheels with different offset for front and rear was to avoid using spacers :eek:

i saw you pictures, you have more poke on rear-passenger side just like me

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
can i ask them to re-adjust the rear subframe? is it possible to fix the problem with just adjust the subframe? and about the spacers you are right, it can be fixed with spacers and the only reason that i got these wheels with different offset for front and rear was to avoid using spacers :eek:

i saw you pictures, you have more poke on rear-passenger side just like me

There's no fix, no readjustment, it's built that way from the factory to give clearance for the fuel filler pipes. If you don't want to run spacers, then you've got what you've got. End of story. Your dealer can't do anything about it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

ShoMpeT

Passed Driver's Ed
There's no fix, no readjustment, it's built that way from the factory to give clearance for the fuel filler pipes. If you don't want to run spacers, then you've got what you've got. End of story. Your dealer can't do anything about it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Thank you sir