GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark Plug Torque specs

Jerin_L

Passed Driver's Ed
What are they?

Recently went APR stage 1 and was going to throw in some Denso IKH24...

So conventional wisdom says hand tight then 1/4 - 1/2 turn... I've also seen people throw around 22 NM, and also 30 NM. Both of those numbers supposedly came "directly from the repair manual".

Or is all of the above irrelevant when not using OEM plugs, do we follow Denso's guide found at the following link?

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/basic_knowledge/installation/index.html

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
Curious, as I haven't needed to or bothered to change my plugs in years. Is indexing a thing of the past with plugs? or we just center and torque to spec?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think the torque is all that critical here. Just tight it by hand until the washer gets crushed all the way, then another 1/4 turn and call it a day.

alper

Ready to race!
And IIRC, replace them when the engine is cold.

According to some reports, it helps having brought the engine up to temp (or thereabouts) as it apparently helps a lot with getting the rubber boots of the coil packs off. A few people that did the change on a stone cold engine reported damaged boots that needed replacing.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
From the ERWIN official VW workshop manual for the R engine...

30Nm

9Nm for the earth wires...

use those special coil pack puller tools.. T10530..& do when hot as always...Christ I've been pulling conventional spark leads when hot ..you need to on any car with 16v or more as they are sooo buried..

B95zP

Ready to race!
According to some reports, it helps having brought the engine up to temp (or thereabouts) as it apparently helps a lot with getting the rubber boots of the coil packs off. A few people that did the change on a stone cold engine reported damaged boots that needed replacing.

I've read the same.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion

Can confirm this. Done my plugs a few times, no issues.