GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Increase horsepower and torque? IS38 with Stock Downpipe and APR IS38 file?

KDahlstrom

I'm looking to increase power (HP) and acceleration (TQ). Because California has strict emission laws and I fear failing smog, I don't want to upgrade my downpipe.

Has anyone swapped out IS20 for IS38 with stock downpipe? APR Stage IS38 file? Suggestions for more power?

Current setup:
2015 MK7 GTI (non PP) APR Stage 1, VWR R600 Intake, VWR Turbo Muffler Delete, VWR MQB Intercooler, GFB Diverter Valve, Remus Resonated Catback exhaust

I just bought a HPA Dogbone mount and by year's end I plan on buying Neuspeed RSe12 18x8.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 245 40 18.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm looking to increase power (HP) and acceleration (TQ). Because California has strict emission laws and I fear failing smog, I don't want to upgrade my downpipe.

Has anyone swapped out IS20 for IS38 with stock downpipe? APR Stage IS38 file? Suggestions for more power?

Current setup:
2015 MK7 GTI (non PP) APR Stage 1, VWR R600 Intake, VWR Turbo Muffler Delete, VWR MQB Intercooler, GFB Diverter Valve, Remus Resonated Catback exhaust

I just bought a HPA Dogbone mount and by year's end I plan on buying Neuspeed RSe12 18x8.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 245 40 18.

Why not just install downpipe and keep stock so you can swap out when it's time for emissions? New cars don't even need to be smogged till like after 6 years. Downpipe and tune are the two best mods for this car.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Op, seems you've been preparing for the days of stage 3 - intercooler, intake, etc. Nice! Just a thought, does Cali do visual inspection? My APR dealer tells me the Nuespeed and AWE catted downpipes run cel-free and pass OBD2 readiness.

KDahlstrom

Why not just install downpipe and keep stock so you can swap out when it's time for emissions? New cars don't even need to be smogged till like after 6 years. Downpipe and tune are the two best mods for this car.

I was under the assumption that I had to get it smogged sooner. I bought it used (1400miles) in 2015. I'll look into adding a downpipe.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I ran an is38, jb4 and stock downpipe. Made about 315 whp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDahlstrom

Op, seems you've been preparing for the days of stage 3 - intercooler, intake, etc. Nice! Just a thought, does Cali do visual inspection? My APR dealer tells me the Nuespeed and AWE catted downpipes run cel-free and pass OBD2 readiness.

To my knowledge California does do a visual inspection. I bought VWR R600 intake because of it's function but also it's OEM look. I'm going to try to pass the visual with it installed. I will however swap out my Spulen intake hose though. I'll look into those downpipes. Thanks

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I was JB4 only. Definitely worth the upgrade over the is20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
I have the is38, all supporting mods, except the downpipe and I’m on the APR is38 tune. I was apr low output stage 1 before. Very large difference in power