GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First FWD Turbo Autox

FuzzyLogic

Not new to autox but this is my first time in a FWD Turbo car. Its a 2017 GTI S. The club Ill be with this weekend has about 12 to 15 minutes between runs in your heat. My question is whether to leave the car idling between runs or just shut it off? Just want to keep the turbo happy.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
My strategy has been to turn the car off and open the hood if the oil temperature is above ~110 C and leave it idling if it's below ~80 C. If your temperature is right around 95-100 C then just leaving it off and hood closed is probably best, but I always turn on the car when it's getting close to my run (2nd or 3rd in line).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I turn the AC on full blast with the hood open and the car stays running. this forces the rad fan on and that kinda helps to move air...I can usually see oil temp drop from doing that..

FuzzyLogic

My strategy has been to turn the car off and open the hood if the oil temperature is above ~110 C and leave it idling if it's below ~80 C. If your temperature is right around 95-100 C then just leaving it off and hood closed is probably best, but I always turn on the car when it's getting close to my run (2nd or 3rd in line).
Thanks, sounds along the lines of what I was thinking,

I turn the AC on full blast with the hood open and the car stays running. this forces the rad fan on and that kinda helps to move air...I can usually see oil temp drop from doing that..

Sounds like a great excuse to run the AC on hot summer shade less blacktop!
I'll have to try this with my STR Miata, I always suffer in the heat because I assumed the AC would make the engine run hotter in grid.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
yeah thats a side benefit, only thing I worry about is fuel level. If the run interval gets too long I might shut the car off if the fuel is critically low. GTI can run for a while without running into fuel starve even with the light on. But I sometimes do worry with a codriver on a longer course.

Really hot days though I would spray the radiator with my watersprayer for tires.....