GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what tires to use for HPDE

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Dual Duty is going to be a compromise. There will be differing priorities.

Making this call is tricky until you get to the track to find out whether you have made the right decision.

I looked at the Dunlop Direzzas and Bridgestone RE71R for their track ability based on input from fellow track mates. I’m partial to Nitto NT01’s which I run on my Cooper S. Not an option for a dual duty setup.

Wet weather traction was high on my list of priorities. This took the Bridgestones and Direzza out of the running. I considered the Extreme Contact Sport but did not see any scores on Tire Rack to use for comparison. Price was right but he reviews were mixed. I wasn’t convinced. Michelin PSS floated to the top of my list. MP4S is a replacement for the PSS and has a 30,000 mile tread life warranty. These are supposedly fractionally better than the PSS in all categories with a tread life warranty. That’s what chose.

MP4S’s were available in limited sizes last year. 245-40-18 was the closest fit but Discount tire would not fit these to my stock 7.5J wheels, so I sprung for the Neuspeeds. 235’s are now available which is on the limit for a 7.5” wheel. This is the route I would have gone had 235’s been available. I don’t regret going this route, even considering that I had to pony up for a set of wheels. My Nagoras will be going up for sale to help offset some of that cost.

BTW- I do have a slight rub on big compressions, hard cornering and taking curb on track. On the street it’s only on big compressions. For track work 235’s will clear or 245’s on 17’s shouldn’t be a problem. ( stock suspension and ride height)

For what it is worth, I have 4 track days and 7,000 miles on my MP4S’s. Just measured tread depths. I’m at 80% on my fronts and 66% on my rears. My next set of tires will be MP4S. I will be satisfied with 20-25,000 miles from these tires. If you check out my YouTube videos you see that I drove these hard at VIR. They were protesting pretty good at the limits, so there is fair warning before things get interesting. A set of Vorschlag caster/camber plates would improve front end bite.

If I could get these in 225/15” or 16”; they would become my daily driver/wet track tires for my Cooper S.

Had I gone the dedicated track tire setup, I would have gone with 17” Neuspeed RSE5’s with Nittos or RE71R’s.

https://youtu.be/ZzKoiu7D3Ag
I'm Lowered on ED springs. I was checking sneaky and he runs 19x8.5 with a 235/35 with front sway and camber plates on springs and had no rub. I'd really like to go with 8.5 wide but I can dip to 8 if I need. Would likely go 19's tho if I did that on some OZ.

I feel like if I do 18x8.5 +43 on a 235/40 or 245/35 I might need a front sway to keep the rubbing away.

I'm strongly looking at conti's and pss now. My 3 tracks I'll run will be Autobahn, Blackhawk farms, and road America will be the one I run most often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I have a couple of observations.

35 profile tires on 19’s will give you good steering response. The same or similar ultimatum grip.

I would not want the added unsprung weight of a 19” wheel vs. 18’s or 17’s. Especially after replacing front rotors this weekend. Those are some heavy ass rotors. For the street 35 profile tires will mean your rims will take a beating and the tires vulnerable to puncture.

If you are lowered, I would go with 235’s on an 8.5” rim. It is my understanding Michelin’s run a little wider than most other brands. My rub is slight. I can see it on the wheel liner. At VIR there are a few corners that I run curbs to straighten my line.

Larger sway bars will not help you with rubbing issues over bumps. Suspension will still go up and down. Larger sway bars will reduce roll through left right transitions and steady state cornering. The car will feel nimble. You can also achieve this by increasing your spring rate. As long as the stiffer springs are within the window for your shock valving.

The added camber from the camber plates is what has eliminated the rub as the tire is tucked clear of the fender. I don’t believe the sway bar is preventing the rub. In bump at least. Our cars definitely need more camber. If you want 19’s. Camber plates will eliminate any potential rub with 245’s and give you better front end bite and improved tire wear. 235’s with added camber will be faster than 245’s at stock camber. The outside tire shoulder will take a beating on track. Camber plates will reduce/eliminate this. You can also roll the fenders for added clearance.

When doing your research make sure that the guys are tracking there cars. The loads on the street may not be enough to show any potential rubs on track.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
The MP4S / ExtremeContact Sports / Firestone Indy 500ws should fit the bill. Any of those ~300 treadwear summer tires are forgiving enough that it makes them great to learn & have fun on while having decent ability on the track, and they give the means for "dual duty" on the street where you'll probably want rain traction and hydroplaning resistance as well.

I'm at the point where I'll probably start looking at the ~200 treadwear RS3s, Direzza Star Specs, Bridgestone RE71Rs, etc. after this season when my current tires are worn. Just need to consider the tradeoff they bring concerning wet performance, but those will provide more track capability if you're not as concerned about that sort of thing.

But overall, I agree with what Mini7 said above... brakes are at least as important as the "perfect" choice in tire, same with camber. Just depends what your goals are.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
For dedicated track tires. Nittos or RE71R’s. Then Direzzas. On 17” rims.

Ran VIR on Mon/Tue. I am pushing the limits of the PP brake setup with Pagid brake pads. The RS3 air deflectors didn’t come in on time to install. Group D/C or Green/Blue you will be OK, but as you gain more experience you will start taxing the PP brake setup.

Camber/Castor plates will improve front end bite, increasing corner speeds meaning you can brake less. SuperPro front control arms. These would be my next mods.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
For dedicated track tires. Nittos or RE71R’s. Then Direzzas. On 17” rims.

Ran VIR on Mon/Tue. I am pushing the limits of the PP brake setup with Pagid brake pads. The RS3 air deflectors didn’t come in on time to install. Group D/C or Green/Blue you will be OK, but as you gain more experience you will start taxing the PP brake setup.

Camber/Castor plates will improve front end bite, increasing corner speeds meaning you can brake less. SuperPro front control arms. These would be my next mods.

I'm excited to hear your feed back on the deflectors. Due to work I'm not going to make it to the track until June!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I'm excited to hear your feed back on the deflectors. Due to work I'm not going to make it to the track until June!

Local Audi dealer had issues with shipping. The air deflectors didn’t come in before I left for VIR. I really needed them.