GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st service report questions regarding brakes and tire life

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
I had my car serviced for it's 10k/1yr when the indicator came up, last month (only 7k mi, and 6 mth into lease (, and got a video of the inspection and report of the car.)

They mentioned tire life: 7/11fr, 8/11rr;
And
Brake pads: 11/20mm fr, 8/16mm rr
(provided the max number I located online was in fact for the PP brake was correct, which I have on my car.

They stated this was "very good".....

I read at 2mm brakes and tires are both toast. So considering that, being only at 8k miles now, that I'll need tires soon and my brake power should fade.....how could I be at the wear i am for tires and brakes.....

I checked alot of sources and 6 different tests of this car show 159-164 consistent 70-0 at between 1k-4k miles, and 161-166 on the 41k test. Original clutch and pads. Same tires for each test, Potenza s0001s, and I have Re97 a/s, but that's the only issue with the comparison.

So if the pads are original, how can I have half the total mm of brake pad life left, but the car report numbers that are the same as when out of the box?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zero10

Ready to race!
I checked alot of sources and 6 different tests of this car show 159-164 consistent 70-0 at between 1k-4k miles, and 161-166 on the 41k test. Original clutch and pads. Same tires for each test, Potenza s0001s, and I have Re97 a/s, but that's the only issue with the comparison.

I have no idea what those numbers are representing.... stopping distance in feet from 70mph to 0 on cars between 1000 and 4000 miles?...

But, your pads sound nearly new. I've never seen pads on a passenger car with 16mm or 20mm of material so those numbers they provided are crazy. They're crazy enough I'd ask them to show me new pads that measure out at 20mm thick.

I have read on here that pad life seems to vary a bit (obviously) but that people tend to be changing them around 60,000-80,000mi.

Also, your brake performance (in non-racing conditions) shouldn't be affected by worn pads. The friction material remains the same through the depth of the pad so the grip they have on the rotor is largely unchanged. With a normally loaded car, from reasonable speeds in a single stop (even if the pads are already a little bit warm from normal driving) you won't put enough heat into them to get brake fade.

Your tires do sound like they are wearing a bit quicker than I'd like, but you'd have to check the tire manufacturer's spec sheet for your size and exact model of tires to get the original tread depth and determine life from there.

I agree, 2mm is a good time to replace tires and brakes.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
I have no idea what those numbers are representing.... stopping distance in feet from 70mph to 0 on cars between 1000 and 4000 miles?...
Yes, 70-0 on the same exact car, a gti (dsg and manuals mixed) and then the same tests on a 41,000 mile gti; stopping distance barely changed. It was a major praise of the article, original pads.

But, your pads sound nearly new. I've never seen pads on a passenger car with 16mm or 20mm of material so those numbers they provided are crazy. They're crazy enough I'd ask them to show me new pads that measure out at 20mm thick.
Im happy to hear that. 20mm front 16mm rear is what i found online for the specs of the PP brakes. The 13.4 in front/12in rear ones. I would be overjoyed to know the real maximum size of the brakes. since the dealer reported to me the remaining life in mm, thats really all i had to work off of.

I have read on here that pad life seems to vary a bit (obviously) but that people tend to be changing them around 60,000-80,000mi.
Thats really good im not even concerned about the cost or the total length of life, but just to understand the wear in general.

Your tires do sound like they are wearing a bit quicker than I'd like, but you'd have to check the tire manufacturer's spec sheet for your size and exact model of tires to get the original tread depth and determine life from there.
Ah, im used to blowing through tires.... last car got basically 10k mi out of A/S michelin pilot sports.

These are the shitty stock potenza re as's, so i honestly am happy to wear them out as quick as possible. Everywhere i read the max was 11 or 12, and i think i pulled 11 from bridgestones site...

I agree, 2mm is a good time to replace tires and brakes.
Thx for responding! Appreciate it. Most happy to hear i must be wrong about the max brake pad mm's/life. Circling back, anyone know the real max brake size for the PP? I did search here one time.... unless i was too drunk to see the result =D