GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie GTI non PP tracking

flip7

Ready to race!
howdy,
:confused:

I am planning to attend a racing school - Road Racing Foundations class in a short while

My car has had no Brakes upgrades yet.

Is this completely crazy? What kind of wear and issues may I encounter?

I have 18" Michelin PSSs mounted on 21LBS wheels (sparco assesto gara)
I am currently Tuned stage 1 - should I dial that back to factory?

Any 11th hour advice for me?

Thanks!

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
I would at a minimum change brake fluid to something with a higher boiling point, like Motul 660. Beginner classes you don’t really beat on the car too bad, so you should be ok with just the brake fluid change. Later on you will have to upgrade pads and rotors at a minimum and possibly brake lines, but start off with the fluid. Also I would recommend an upgraded Intercooler particularly since you’re in hot ass Texas

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
It sounds like you are new to track driving. The following is offered from this perspective.

Watch this video for an introduction to HPDE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMMPHMEtL0

Find in-car videos of the track you are going to and watch many times over. Try to find different videos or an instructional video so you don't pick up bad driving habits from amateur drivers. The idea is to familiarize yourself with the track.

Flush your brakes, using ATE 200 or similar.

Replace any brake pads where the pad is equal to or less than the thickness of the backing plate.

Replace front brake pads with a compound that is better suited to track driving. There are lots of choices. Bed the brakes before getting to the track.

Change engine oil. Make sure all fluids are topped off.

Make sure you arrive at the track with all necessary forms, completed as required.

Get track insurance; e.g., Lockton Motorsports.

Take plenty of water to stay hydrated. Take a canopy or covered chair to stay out of the sun.

Pay attention to your instructor.

I could go on, but I think I'll stop here. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned

flip7

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the responses, pointers and advice. Track training day completed successfully and uneventful :) Well.... except for the tire rubber.

Seems everybody forgot to say this can be addictive... ;)
Anyone racing on Driveway Austin?