GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Manual Driver Questions

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Also in daily driving you don't really need to heel + toe. Definitely cool if you can master it especially with this pedal layout (I certainly am no good at it!), but you can still rev match your downshifts by blipping the throttle and just take your foot off the brake for a second to do so. Unless you're braking really hard it should be doable in most situations.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
For the heel-toe, I've found it fairly easy to use the left side of the ball of my foot for the brake and then to roll my ankle around and use the right side of the ball off my foot to blip the throttle. The throttle response mod helped to make this easier also

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
slight derail......

why don't mfr's have reverse as a granny gear? IE idle is 1 mph and it has to be 2-3K rpm to go at anything other than walking speed

just trying to learn

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Congrats and THANK YOU for buying a manual car. It is a less seen skill these days and incredibly rewarding as you learn more. 3 pedals can make a slow car seem fast and a boring car seem fun, in the GSW I have it is the perfect blend of fun and "sensibility" so I love mine.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
It is always good to check for clutch slip at 45 mph in 6th gear. ;).

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
For the heel-toe, I've found it fairly easy to use the left side of the ball of my foot for the brake and then to roll my ankle around and use the right side of the ball off my foot to blip the throttle. The throttle response mod helped to make this easier also

Which mod is this?

joofcorn

Ready to race!
I have pretty small feet (US 8) and am able to heel toe by just doing left side/right side, granted not with all of my shoes though, some are too narrow. Its a skill I almost never use, but I can.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
1. Yes, but frankly there's never a scenario where I find this useful. The engine bogs for a second then gives it a little gas on your behalf. I get straight to the point and just give it gas to begin with.

2. Yes, this is no problem. Just give the revs time to drop to the right RPM when you do this.

3. I have multiple posts and threads on here bitching about the pedals on this car and how it's impossible to get comfortable and heel-toe in this car. Now, two years later, I'm a little proud to say that I can actually heel-toe this car quite comfortably. Like you, I was new to manual two years ago. Best advice I can give you is always always rev match and get really good at it. Then one day start trying it during a little braking. It feels awkward at first. Slowly, but surely it becomes possible.

4. 1 > 2 gear change on this car is awful. Try double clutching down the line when you're more comfortable.

enthusiast1

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question I have driven over 1000 miles and driving smooth know. Kind of embarrassing to ask this question but what is the right way to take a speed bump in a manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Quick question I have driven over 1000 miles and driving smooth know. Kind of embarrassing to ask this question but what is the right way to take a speed bump in a manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just roll right over it slowly in 2nd if you're going quick enough to not stall, or go into 1st and drive over it with a little momentum. If you're already right at the speed bump, it's kind of like starting on a hill in a way.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Wow everybody complains about heel-toe in Mk7...seems everybody is a racecar driver. I guess I never cared for that specific technique.