GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 vs 2018 4motion sportwagen buying advice

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey
We have a 2015 GTI autobahn manual with pretty high mileage which we love but I'm getting worried about racking up a bunch more miles (no thanks to this forum...) and my wife and I have been discussing getting into an AWD. We both love the manual in the GTI and I was excited about the manual 4motion option available on the 2018 wagon models but for some reason (probably being new and cold) it just didn't feel quite as nice. Looking at the comfortline (mid-level) trim and the back up camera can't be had without all the other driver nannies which I don't want and doesn't come with the dual zone automatic climate control. It can be had with the LED lighting package though which I quite like.

The dealership had a few 2017 4motion left in the same trim level which did have the dual zone climate control as well as back up camera and blind spot monitoring but without the rest of the nannies. Obviously it was a dsg and, having never driven one, it was rather nice and we didn't mind it at all. The infotainment is still an upgrade over the 2015 which doesn't have android or apple car play. Is the new one much improved beyond just asthetics? The 2017s just have the regular halogen headlights and are also all black, which I swore I would never own again after my last black truck...

Pretty confident we are going to pull the trigger on one of these 4motion wagons, just not sure which year to go for. Dealership hinted they are more motivated to make a deal on the 2017 but never discussed amount of discount, just $1000 factory incentive for cash sale...

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Very few differences except a restyled front and rear bumper [which to my eyes is uglier on the 2018 but purely subjective, especially the fake exhaust chrome cutouts on the rear], as well as upgraded headlights and LED tails.

Get the 2017, especially since you are in Canada and don't get the benefit of the ridiculous 2018 US warranty. You'll save money and they will give you a way better deal to move a last year model off the floor.

You'll love the 4Motion--GET THE MANUAL THOUGH :) DSG is a fine transmission, but come on, AWD Wagon manual? Also, I upgraded my shit halogens with Ed's Lights and it is a world of difference for about $1000 including install.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Black. Just ceramic coat it and you'll be good for a few years. Save $$ where you can, and the DSG is awesome if it's the same one as the GTI.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
Sucks that we don't get the same crazy warranty extension here. Unless I'm mistaken the 2017 was dsg only so if we want a manual it will be 2018. The combination of black paint and halogen headlights I will probably pass on. Another dealer has a few 2017 highlines (top trim) available in different colors with actual leather, Fender audio and upgraded headlights so we will go see what kind of deal we can get on one of those. Elsewise probably looking at a 2018 comfortline manual with lighting package.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
Ha
So 2 local dealers were only able to reduce price on the 2017s by $2000 to clear them out. I got $1500 off our GTI the first week the mk7s landed in our showrooms...
Needless to say we walked. Going to keep our GTI until the 4motion wagons start appearing on the used market.