GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Future changes in the garage

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I thought it might be interesting to share what cars might replace or stand besides MK7 in the garage in a couple of years. I have listed below my options with reasons.

Options:
1. Volvo XC60 for technology and space.
2. BMW 3series wagon (if BMW launches G20 wagon in US) for space and handling.

Replacement / Addition:
The new car might or might not replace GTI and it will be based on MK7's resale value at that time.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
328d M Sport Touring :eek:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I wish BMW hadn't lost their way. They are making too damn many models of cars these days, and their designs are meh IMO.

The wife and I are thinking in the future of getting her an AllTrack or some other wagon perhaps, but overall we're both very pleased with our MK7s and plan to keep them for some time.

slide13

Ready to race!
Pretty happy with my GTI these days and have no plans to sell it unless a much cooler GTI comes out in the future.

Someday I would like to add a Cayman though for a true sports car while keeping the GTi as my daily. Likely not in the cards for a while, if ever, haha.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I wish BMW hadn't lost their way. They are making too damn many models of cars these days, and their designs are meh IMO.

Their business model has transformed from being an enthusiastic car brand to mass produced premium car brand. Many a people wish they bring back the magic their old models.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Volvos are terrible terrible cars. For the love of god please don't buy one. They suck to work on, they always break, and they drive like shit. I work on 5 a week so I'm super jaded. I would so much rather work on a BMW, MBZ, VW, Audi, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Subaru, Infinity, Kia, Mazda, Ford, Chevy.... so basically every other vehicle I work on, then work on a fucking POS Volvo.

P.S I've been working on a terrible hunk of junk 02 XC70 (or V70 XC vin 58) that keeps fucking breaking. Everytime I fix one thing, another thing breaks. FUUUUUUUUCK ME.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I have a Volvo S80 in my office fleet with 195,000 trouble free miles. I think Volvo has come a long way from their good old days. It will be interesting to see how the newly launched Volvos ages with all of those advanced technologies.

VentoGT

Ready to race!

The wife and I are thinking in the future of getting her an AllTrack or some other wagon perhaps, but overall we're both very pleased with our MK7s and plan to keep them for some time.

e34 M5 Touring? If I was not in a snow state I'd do it...I have been blessed to own many cool cars, the e34 M5 [non touring, just US sedan] was my favorite but not in Massachusetts...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I have a Volvo S80 in my office fleet with 195,000 trouble free miles. I think Volvo has come a long way from their good old days. It will be interesting to see how the newly launched Volvos ages with all of those advanced technologies.

Is the S60 a I6 or I5T? Certain volvo engines are trash. I've had just as many issues with new V8 and I5/6T's. Up to 2014 anyway. The NA volvo engines except for the V8 are pretty darn bullet proof. Volvo is now a Chinese owned company so I would expect quality to drop. As of now by 2020? 2019? They will only be making hybrid or electric cars, so by that aspect it's possible that reliability will rise, even though I feel certain aspects of quality will drop with the new ownership. Not trying to hate on the Chinese or anything, but they often try to make things as cheap as possible, certainly when it comes to plastics.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Is the S60 a I6 or I5T? Certain volvo engines are trash. I've had just as many issues with new V8 and I5/6T's. Up to 2014 anyway. The NA volvo engines except for the V8 are pretty darn bullet proof. Volvo is now a Chinese owned company so I would expect quality to drop. As of now by 2020? 2019? They will only be making hybrid or electric cars, so by that aspect it's possible that reliability will rise, even though I feel certain aspects of quality will drop with the new ownership. Not trying to hate on the Chinese or anything, but they often try to make things as cheap as possible, certainly when it comes to plastics.

Its a S80 with a T6 engine and i think its a 2009 MY vehicle. Other than the regular maintenance, it did not ask for anything else and you can very well understand how fleet cars are driven around. And from what i have read so far, the Chinese owner has given full freedom to the management and has not interrupted much with Volvos basics. You can very well see this with the newly launched XC60 and XC80.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Its a S80 with a T6 engine and i think its a 2009 MY vehicle. Other than the regular maintenance, it did not ask for anything else and you can very well understand how fleet cars are driven around. And from what i have read so far, the Chinese owner has given full freedom to the management and has not interrupted much with Volvos basics. You can very well see this with the newly launched XC60 and XC80.

I was just giving you a mechanics perspective. If you don't plan on working on the car then don't worry about it. But I would suggest asking this question in a bmw and again in a volvo forum where you would get better answers.

Edit: Just realized the new T6 is not the same as the old T6 and is one of the better engines volvo has made recently. So you are correct, newer volvos are better then older volvos. Still heavy boats though.

Also in all honesty, no point asking this question until you are ready to pull the trigger. In a couple years you might not be able to buy a gas car any more. Obviously we all hope not, but that's the way things are heading.

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
And from what i have read so far, the Chinese owner has given full freedom to the management and has not interrupted much with Volvos basics.

This is correct and well documented so is not just a rumor, they spend a ton of money on the new breed of Volvos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I will take a Ranger Raptor.
But a base 4x4 will do. Minus the black thing attached to the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Also in all honesty, no point asking this question until you are ready to pull the trigger. In a couple years you might not be able to buy a gas car any more. Obviously we all hope not, but that's the way things are heading.

2 years is a long time and lot of changes might happen in the due time. Yeah Volvo is going to adapt hybrid technology on all of their cars and i would consider buying one before that.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Volvos are terrible terrible cars. For the love of god please don't buy one. They suck to work on, they always break, and they drive like shit. I work on 5 a week so I'm super jaded. I would so much rather work on a BMW, MBZ, VW, Audi, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Subaru, Infinity, Kia, Mazda, Ford, Chevy.... so basically every other vehicle I work on, then work on a fucking POS Volvo.

P.S I've been working on a terrible hunk of junk 02 XC70 (or V70 XC vin 58) that keeps fucking breaking. Everytime I fix one thing, another thing breaks. FUUUUUUUUCK ME.

Drove a rented V40 in Italy. Loved it was great racing around the Gran Sasso trying to keep up with the locals ?