GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking points/Axle stands

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Congrats, that's pretty quick and fairly priced. Good luck and be safe above all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
nicholam77, on 21 Feb you said and I responded :

"nicholam77, "It wasn't quite resting on it in that pic, but only because I hadn't lowered the jack yet." Got it. Very clear now. I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks."

I've been running this through my mind over the last few days and realised that it may be not as clear to me as I first thought.

When the jack is eventually lowered, does that "pinch weld" seam touch the axle stand _first_ and rest in the channel in the axle jack taking the full weight from the jack?
If it doesn't, does it matter if the "horns" or sides of the axle stand touch the body work of the car and take the weight? That's why you taped them, right?

Sorry to go on about this, but I'd like to get it right, if you can bear it.

Leopold.

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
golfdave, in his 21/02/17 post nicholam77 said " .... As far as the Audi jack pads, they can be installed in the front and the rear. I have both, but you could probably get away with just the fronts and use the "box" in the back without the pad."
I think I'll just fit the fronts.
You listed the parts needed on your "How to"
I can't figure out which are the front parts I need.
Would you mind giving them to me please?
Thanks.

Leopold

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave, in his 21/02/17 post nicholam77 said " .... As far as the Audi jack pads, they can be installed in the front and the rear. I have both, but you could probably get away with just the fronts and use the "box" in the back without the pad."
I think I'll just fit the fronts.
You listed the parts needed on your "How to"
I can't figure out which are the front parts I need.
Would you mind giving them to me please?
Thanks.

Leopold

Front parts two big covers, two small pads & two insertion bungs for the pads

Item No. 17:- 8V0 825 271, Large outer trim cover left side, £3.60
Item No. 17:- 8V0 825 272, Large outer trim cover right side, £3.60
Item No. 20:- 8V0 804 631, Base plate for jack socket (Rubber bungs), £6.73 (x2)
Item No. 21:- 8V0 802 845, Jack socket left side, £6.73
Item No. 21:- 8V0 802 846, Jack socket right side, £6.73

Rear parts two wedges

Item No. 22:- 8V0 802 847 A, Jack socket rear (wedge pads), £7.74 (x2)

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie

Item No. 20:- 8V0 804 631, Base plate for jack socket (Rubber bungs), £6.73 (x2)

Rear parts two wedges

Can you take some pics of them under your car like the jack socket part and explain which go wear seems like this is a lot cheaper than ECS put together jack pad adapter kit. And where do the wedge pads go never seen these before

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I've been running this through my mind over the last few days and realised that it may be not as clear to me as I first thought.

When the jack is eventually lowered, does that "pinch weld" seam touch the axle stand _first_ and rest in the channel in the axle jack taking the full weight from the jack?
If it doesn't, does it matter if the "horns" or sides of the axle stand touch the body work of the car and take the weight? That's why you taped them, right?

Sorry to go on about this, but I'd like to get it right, if you can bear it.

Leopold.

1. The jack is only used to raise or lower the car. At all other times the full weight of the car should be supported by the jack stands. The jack's purpose is not to sustain the weight of the vehicle over a period of time, but merely to lower or raise. That is the main reason jack stands are used, in addition to being able to support more than one location at a time.

2. So you've just raised the car with the jack, and now it's time to balance it on the jack stand. Typically you jack the car up a bit higher than the height you want to set the jack stand, then place the jack stand under the support point, and then lower the jack until the car is fully resting on the jack stand and the jack is no longer needed.

3. When using jack stands that have the "horns" and "trough", you can support the weight on whatever makes the most sense for the point on the car you are using. For example if you are supporting a flat area like the "box" with the grommets in the rear of the mk7, it can rest on the "horns". But if the thing you are supporting is thin or circular, like the pinch weld, it's safest to balance it in the trough or the middle.

Below i've added a pic of where you would want the pinch weld to be resting on your jack stand:

4. The only reason I taped the jack stands was to protect the car/paint. It is completely unnecessary.

Hope this is helpful.

-Nick

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016

Rear parts two wedges

golfdave, thanks very much, exactly what I wanted to know.
I'll go ahead and order the front parts (I might even go and order the rear wedges as well at the same time - not overly expensive especially considering the potential damage they could help avoid I think)

Leopold
BTW you and other UK folk probably know that this week's AutoExpress features a "buying a used S3 " piece (2nd generation I think?).

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
1. The jack is only used to raise or lower the car. At all other times the full weight of the car should be supported by the jack stands. The jack's purpose is not to sustain the weight of the vehicle over a period of time, but merely to lower or raise. That is the main reason jack stands are used, in addition to being able to support more than one location at a time.

2. So you've just raised the car with the jack, and now it's time to balance it on the jack stand. Typically you jack the car up a bit higher than the height you want to set the jack stand, then place the jack stand under the support point, and then lower the jack until the car is fully resting on the jack stand and the jack is no longer needed.

3. When using jack stands that have the "horns" and "trough", you can support the weight on whatever makes the most sense for the point on the car you are using. For example if you are supporting a flat area like the "box" with the grommets in the rear of the mk7, it can rest on the "horns". But if the thing you are supporting is thin or circular, like the pinch weld, it's safest to balance it in the trough or the middle.

Below i've added a pic of where you would want the pinch weld to be resting on your jack stand:

4. The only reason I taped the jack stands was to protect the car/paint. It is completely unnecessary.

Hope this is helpful.

-Nick

Nick, many thanks.

That picture of the jack stand was most helpful. Just like the ones I've recently purchased. Thanks for taking the time to produce the picture for us. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
So the edge of the pinch weld could (depending on the shape of the top/horns of the jack stand) actually be touching the bottom of the "v" in the jack stand, and therefore taking the full weight of that part of the car?

Leopold

RobC2017

Passed Driver's Ed
U-Jack

Thanks! The U-Jack isn't on sale anymore but it'll be perfect.

I have an older floor jack with a flat lifting plate. I'll have a look for a U shaped adapter for my old jack before buying a new jack.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Here is what i do. After having a close call with a jack i decided to spend some money

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk