GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Log Comparison Thread

Perry01

Ready to race!
While I will not knock any other tuner that has a tune that is more reserved.....

Kudos to you, bashing another tuner and calling them a ripoff is pretty lame.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Those using Cobb Traction Control, what have you found so far?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Those using Cobb Traction Control, what have you found so far?

Works as intended.
No use for me though. If I am on the street, I am tame. If I am at the track, I want full power without any intervention (slicks).

Venumous

Ready to race!
Does it only intervene when traction control is fully on? Do the numbers 1 - 8 mean anything?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Does it only intervene when traction control is fully on? Do the numbers 1 - 8 mean anything?

With ESC on, it seems the stock VW TC is in place. If set to ESC off, Cobb TC takes over. I'm not sure if Cobb TC takes over when set to ESC Sport, as I haven't really tested it on that setting, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

As for the multipliers, the scale is 1 = the least amount of slip allowed, 8 = the most amount of slip allowed. I had my tuner set the default to 3, which seems to work well.

I'd be curious what multiplier others are using, and what their thoughts are. I feel that 3 allows just enough wheelspin to get off the line well, but now and then I think it may cut timing a bit too much in 2nd gear. However, I think 4 might allow too much wheelspin in 1st gear.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
With ESC on, it seems the stock VW TC is in place. If set to ESC off, Cobb TC takes over. I'm not sure if Cobb TC takes over when set to ESC Sport, as I haven't really tested it on that setting, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

As for the multipliers, the scale is 1 = the least amount of slip allowed, 8 = the most amount of slip allowed. I had my tuner set the default to 3, which seems to work well.

I'd be curious what multiplier others are using, and what their thoughts are. I feel that 3 allows just enough wheelspin to get off the line well, but now and then I think it may cut timing a bit too much in 2nd gear. However, I think 4 might allow too much wheelspin in 1st gear.
I'm still playing around with the settings as well. I initially tried it at 5 and I still got a ton of spin in 1st gear. Unfortunately, I still have my crappy Hankook "ultra high performance all-season" (lol) tires on so that doesn't help. I'm gonna try it in 4th to see how that works out.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Works as intended.
No use for me though. If I am on the street, I am tame. If I am at the track, I want full power without any intervention (slicks).

Cobb's release notes for the ST and mustang when they came out with show drag slips that were quicker with their traction control system being used, as opposed to fully off.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
:D Yes, I already understand everything you mentioned.

My argument was that a properly tuned IS38 is harder on the internals (depending on curve) than an aggressive IS20 tune. The IS38 cars (knock on wood) are going strong. If knock values are non-existent (the voltages and subsequent IGN 1 changes, not the adaptation in cyl 1-4) and you respect the vehicle, you should get a long life out of it.

Most of the abuse and issues are going to come with torque in the lower RPM range. The IS38 moves the power band up, if anything I'd say it's less hard on the internals than the stock IS20.

Timing advance up top is going to be your biggest stressor on the engine, not the boost. With an IS38 you don't have to run as much timing to get the performance. The IS20 you're running lots of timing up top to account for the lack of power from the turbo. Once you're past the turbos efficiency island, no amount of increased boost is going to help, you're just blowing hot air.

geebob

Ready to race!
I have the ESC set for on/sport/off. I have tbd set to minimum. I don't care about 1st, have a road-racing perspective and the locking diff of the PP is pretty annoying when, say, exiting a corner in 3rd (it locks up and sends you into power understeer, which translates into a lurch to the outside of a few feet.) So my basic interest is daily driving, being able to hammer it in 2nd when necessary, and cornering, where it could work with the diff to smooth exits.

So, with the Cobb TS, you basically have a switch to turn it on and off with the factory button - it only works when the factory ASR is off, so the button becomes a toggle for the two systems.

My tuner apparently set it so it remembers my setting on a key cycle, so people could get with their tuner to see about that.

I'm running it in 1 at the moment, will experiment later, but 4 is too high for me, so it will be 1-3 somewhere. The problem with higher numbers, up to 4, is the more slip you allow, the more intervention you notice when it does. Past 4, it allow so much slip it's pointless (maybe drag racers could use it to tune for conditions, but not my thing.)

It works well and is far less lurchy than the stock system. Best thing is you can now run in ESC sport and still have traction control, best case for street driving me thinks.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Most of the abuse and issues are going to come with torque in the lower RPM range. The IS38 moves the power band up, if anything I'd say it's less hard on the internals than the stock IS20.

Timing advance up top is going to be your biggest stressor on the engine, not the boost. With an IS38 you don't have to run as much timing to get the performance. The IS20 you're running lots of timing up top to account for the lack of power from the turbo. Once you're past the turbos efficiency island, no amount of increased boost is going to help, you're just blowing hot air.

It's a very popular assumption that more boost=more power. You see it all over here.

Also everyone is talking about timing, but does anyone know how much timing it runs on the OEM tune? 14° may not be a lot, but from past experience with direct injection it more than likely is.

The last log everyone is referencing looks real good. I will say if that is a catted downpipe, the catalyst is going to hate it's life on serious highway runs/track days unless cat over temp protection is on. Which it probably is. One of the differences between the R engine and the GTI engine also is the exhaust valves are sodium filled on the R. Helps with cooling the valves when EGTs are high.

And back to the argument of is20 vs is38, there's no doubt in my mind that an is38 will aid in the longevity of a GTI engine over the is20. There's less of a likely hood of high load at low RPM because the is38 isn't a micro-turbo that is borderline too small for the engine. Also real done with OTS tunes that spike the shit out of the is20 to get the big torque numbers so they can brag about shit. Just got done ranting in another thread about not being able to do it ourselves.

I will say based off of the pic of the log, I would have 5150 tune my car in a heartbeat if I wasn't holding out to see if end-user tuning is ever going to become available.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Looking at my Cobb Stage 0 logs, which are Cobbs attempt to mimic the stock tune as closely as possible the ignition Timing Final from 5500-6000rpm 6.5 degrees.

Also as people keep pointing to that log snippet from 5150 posted earlier, that is a log on E30, not 93 octane fuel, which will allow for more timing.

5150 Racing

Ready to race!
Looking at my Cobb Stage 0 logs, which are Cobbs attempt to mimic the stock tune as closely as possible the ignition Timing Final from 5500-6000rpm 6.5 degrees.

Also as people keep pointing to that log snippet from 5150 posted earlier, that is a log on E30, not 93 octane fuel, which will allow for more timing.
our 93 tunes vary on 93 fuel quality

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

I run 12* at 6500 rpm on Jon's 93 tune. Can confirm this is accurate. Trust the numbers, they don't lie :)