GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you do it all over again?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Never owned a GTi s but speaking as MK5 Golf owner of 3 1/2 years, 2 Mk7 Golfs of 3 and 2 1/2 years, I initially only ended up in the MK5 as, ironically, at that time (2008ish) I needed a car asap (as in yesterday) and VW were able to supply quicker than anyone else in my area. Missed the Mk6 for reasons too long to explain here, but the only 'issues' I've had were the many irritating rattles & squeeks in my first Mk7, squirted a lot (as in A LOT) of glue into panel gaps to stop the eternal, infernal 'singing & tap dancing mice' racket :rolleyes:. But yeah, sitting in a Golf was a 'happy accident' and I'd do it all again no probs, in fact looking ahead I'm keeping tabs on the future Mk8.....

wbw

Ready to race!
I've only had mine since March and liking it quite a lot. No sunroof means no squeaks or leaks.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
I spent about a year researching my next car to replace my BMW 135i. Although everyone's needs are different, the GTI checked nearly every "box" for my needs and wants while staying within a reasonable price range. I read many different car forums like this one to get a good feeling for common issues, owners' likes/dislikes, etc. One thing I've learned: There's no perfect car and every car model has some issues.

I've had my '18 GTI for about a month now and I can honestly say that it's been just about everything I wanted and expected. Is it perfect? No. However, the likes (practicality/cargo capacity for its size, interior design and quality, technology, safety features, driving dynamics, fuel economy, size, great warranty etc. significantly outweigh the negatives (reliability?, front wheel drive, DSG manual mode is backwards on the shifter, etc.). If my GTI were suddenly stolen or destroyed, I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
My first GTI was a base model mk6 2011. I absolutely loved that car. I had some issues with it however...with modding the car I ended up getting a bent rod and had to buy a salvaged motor to replace it, ended up building that motor and sold it 2 years later (2017). I ended up buying a 2nd GTI in April 2015(my current mk7 GTI). Yes at one point I had two GTIs. I was planning on keeping the mk7 stock, but that lasted barely a year. Fast forward 2-3 years with my mk7 and I ended up getting a hole in my piston and needed to fix that and ended up building this motor as well. 20k later in building both cars not including the other mods done to them, I would say I would not do this all over again. Being young and stupid, first GTI I was 19 years old and now that I'm 27. I wish I could have taught my younger self patience. If I would have kept my 2008 Honda that I was driving before my first GTI, I could have easily bought my dream car now... the cost of both GTIs + built motors/mods I have probably spent~70k. I would love to own an m4/m3 competition package or an Audi rs3.

Don't get me wrong the GTIs are awesome cars. I would definitely recommend them to anyone, however going through what I have gone through and experiencing major repairs for both the cost of owning the cars and what I did with them is not worth the money.

So to answer your question I would have not done it again, instead I would have rather saved money and just bought a car that I have always wanted and is fast from the get go. I will no longer do performance mods as it's not worth the risk of cost of repair...cosmetic mods on the other hand I will try...never have owned a set of aftermarket rims/etc.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have owned 3 GTIs: 1 MK6, 2 MK7's (1 MT, 1 DSG).

Currently driving a DSG MK7. I would absolutely do it again, and plan to when I get the money together for either an Autobahn or a Golf R.

It's just the best all-around package available under 30K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk6-k

Ready to race!
I've owned an MK2, MK3(VR6), MK6 and now the MK7, the best GTI so far. Sadly, I won't buy again, not because of the car, I love it, but because they are not making 2 door GTI's anymore. I like 2 doors, so does my girlfriend. So next, possibly an Audi TT

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Still don't think anything could touch it for the money. I love my 16 S as much as my M4!

jevenator

I had a 2016 GTI and replaced it with a bigger suv for family needs. I am looking forward to add a GTI in the garage when time comes. Why? Because, no other vehicle have better fun to money ratio. Its a proven platform and minor mods (not talking about ECU and TCU tunes) transforms the whole experience. Its a great, fun to drive DD.

Was the GTI uncomfortable because of the size? I am asking because I plan on marrying soon and that means the possibility of children in the next years. Or what were the factors for you that made you get an SUV instead?

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Absolutely.

I wanted the most basic GTI I could get and that's what I got - a 2017 S model w/DSG for $20k. It was between this and a WRX. I didn't need AWD, I wanted an auto and the CVT is garbage in the WRX, and I couldn't get a WRX for anywhere near what I got my GTI for. The hatch vs sedan was a no-brainer as well. Easy decision.

12k miles in and I don't have any rattles yet, despite getting rear ended and repaired. The engine doesn't burn a drop of oil either. I'm very pleased so far.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Was the GTI uncomfortable because of the size? I am asking because I plan on marrying soon and that means the possibility of children in the next years. Or what were the factors for you that made you get an SUV instead?

In my case i would have kept the GTI had it had been just us (myself, wife and a kid). But with family visiting us often, having a small hatch as the only vehicle didn make any sense. Also I got a good price for my 2016 GTI as well. All these factors made us to replace it with a bigger suv and we will be holding onto to this vehicle for a very long time. When the need arises, i will be adding another GTI to the garage in the future.

DP03

Ready to race!
Still don't think anything could touch it for the money. I love my 16 S as much as my M4!

Wow, now I'm pretty sure I couldn't make that statement if I had an M4!:)

DubberMK7

I was curious to hear from you all. I’m currently looking into get into a mk7 GTI soon myself and have been reading the various discussions here. From the clutch dying too quickly with a apr tune to random rattles that seem to appear out of nowhere.

Current or former owners of a GTI: why did you want to get one and now that you have one, if you could return back to the day you bought it would you sign your name again for the deal? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW has been in my family for awhile. I had a 2007 Jetta being worked on for warranty work and test drove the MK7 GTI, that was all she wrote. I've actually had two, a 15' GTI MT (sold) and now a 16' DSG. Haven't had the rattles or any sunroof problems ( did have a wheel bearing replaced last weekend under warranty). Tuned both with APR and not a day goes by that I don't enjoy driving it ( as some have previously said the DSG stock clutch has no problems with the tune). It is an overall very versatile car that can be your daily and then dominate at the tail of the dragon or mountain roads on the weekends. And as far as do it again? Absolutely.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Had a mk4, mk5 and 2 mk7’s. In between I had a Benz and Audi cab. Also a CC. I know there’s better luxury autos out there but fun factor. As long as you’re in a MT. Nothing matches. Also for the record. Always tune and never had a clutch problem. And always WOT.

Just fun cars. Sticks to the road. Could see myself getting a mk8 when they come out. If it ain’t broke and all.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve owned 16 Volkswagen and I’m 27 years old. Bought three of them brand new, including my current mk7 gti 6MT S, which has 60,000 miles on it. Been tuned since before it’s first oil change and never had a single issue.

In fact last night I made 13 passes at our local drag strip and still averaged 27 mpg on that tank of fuel lol. You’re never gonna find a better all arounder, especially for the money. We haul our two kids around in it, I commute 60 miles per day, and still beat up on v8 cars on the weekends.

Have, and will do it again in a heartbeat.