GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone recognize this steering wheel?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Any issues getting these steering wheels (with OEM cores) installed into the vehicle? I'm too scared to do it myself, so have been calling around, and some service depts. quote over $200 and others around $70 to do the switch-out. Some say they need to do re-coding, others not. In your experience, does the switch-out require coding, or is it plug & play?

I actually used Royal Steering Wheels btw, will post a pic once installed.

How can it require coding. Think about it.. It's an identical part (from the cars POV).

In my head it's not more than an hours work: take off airbag, take off old wheel, move over trim and controls, install new wheel, install airbag. Test that it's straight.

Only thing im not sure of is if you can reuse the bolt or if you have to buy a new one.

I'm going with royal, i find bak too expensive and was going to go with TAW leather one, but royal is >$300 cheaper so that's the deciding factor for me.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
How can it require coding. Think about it.. It's an identical part (from the cars POV).

In my head it's not more than an hours work: take off airbag, take off old wheel, move over trim and controls, install new wheel, install airbag. Test that it's straight.

Only thing im not sure of is if you can reuse the bolt or if you have to buy a new one.

The new steering wheel actually comes with the trim and controls, so it’s not like they even have to move that over, but for piece of mind I may just ask that they move over my current controls to the new wheel. In my mind it makes complete sense that there would be no need for coding, but the fine folks at OpenRoad VW in Manhattan and Huntington VW insist that coding is required, and quoted me $350 and $210 respectively. Hence the question. I’m going to head out to Three Counties VW in NJ instead who quoted me $60 max.

I actually did purchase a new bolt based on some research - just in case.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
The new steering wheel actually comes with the trim and controls, so it’s not like they even have to move that over, but for piece of mind I may just ask that they move over my current controls to the new wheel. In my mind it makes complete sense that there would be no need for coding, but the fine folks at OpenRoad VW in Manhattan and Huntington VW insist that coding is required, and quoted me $350 and $210 respectively. Hence the question. I’m going to head out to Three Counties VW in NJ instead who quoted me $60 max.

I actually did purchase a new bolt based on some research - just in case.

Coding is not required. Just a straight transfer. If your controls are different than the ones you receive that maybe the only issue. Example DAP and non dap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
BAK is showing nearly $2k as the "new" price and $949 as the "old" price. What gives?

I just went on their site, where are you seeing that?

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Maybe if you had the brains to click on anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow no need to be a dick dude

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Maybe if you had the brains to click on anything.

I just checked with Jeremy it’s a glitch and it will be fixed. Next time try not to be such a jerk, as some of us are here to help and don’t need the attitude.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Sorry dude the forums have been saltier than the salt flats today so it's getting to me

I completely understand. Just here to help and was asking an honest question. The folks there are personal friends of mine. So happy to help where I can. Thanks for apologizing. I must have been posting the same time you were. Sorry about that

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I completely understand. Just here to help and was asking an honest question. The folks there are personal friends of mine. So happy to help where I can. Thanks for apologizing. I must have been posting the same time you were. Sorry about that

Get them to lower their prices then. I would rather buy from Royal or TAW (since they local) and save $200+

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Get them to lower their prices then. I would rather buy from Royal or TAW (since they local) and save $200+

I think they are supposed to be at $948 if I’m not mistaken. He’s putting in the change request so hopefully it will be rectified soon. At the end of the day you work hard for your money, if they are local and cheaper can’t say I would argue that one. I know BAKs product well as I used to own the business before handing it over to them. All of the wheels are oem which might be the difference in price. Some of the other wheels I noted weren’t. It’s just a variable but one to consider. Happy shopping man!!!

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
IMG_2644.jpg

Went for an OEM+ look. Got mine from a group buy last year for less than $600 new and shipped. Also uses oem core.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I think they are supposed to be at $948 if I’m not mistaken. He’s putting in the change request so hopefully it will be rectified soon. At the end of the day you work hard for your money, if they are local and cheaper can’t say I would argue that one. I know BAKs product well as I used to own the business before handing it over to them. All of the wheels are oem which might be the difference in price. Some of the other wheels I noted weren’t. It’s just a variable but one to consider. Happy shopping man!!!

TAW uses OEM cores and $750 plus Chicago is an hour drive so.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
TAW uses OEM cores and $750 plus Chicago is an hour drive so.

Cool, I’ve found a lot of them use Chinese cores. I used to source them.