GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on motor/transmission mounts?

Hey all, do any of you have experience with aftermarket motor and transmission mounts for our cars?

Mounts will be my next mod, but I'm not sure which way to go. I have tended to go VWR with just about everything on my car, but there mounts are VERY expensive, and all metal. I am concerned about noise and vibration as well as bang for the increased bucks.

Alternately, I am looking at 034 Motorsports and Superpro. I have heard good things from my shop about the 034 units. Apparently very close to stock in sound and vibration, but with significant benefits. Superpro's design looks very similar (both look like stronger versions of OEM). I have other Superpro suspension parts and have been happy, so theres that. But looking for thoughts. Doesn't seem to be much on here as far as reviews.

Any worthwhile manufacturers I'm missing?

Thanks folks!

JIM

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Due to me daily driving my car, i decided to stick to OEM mounts and suffer the consequences. They plain took away all of the comfort of a quiet and tame car for me. i went back to OEM. Vibrations, engine noise was transferred to the cabin and i just could not handle it. Maybe it would have gotten better with time, but I just didn't wait. For now i just have the Dogbone and it seems to be just enough for me.

BTW i had the stage 1 mounts.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
There also seem to be some that have experienced “fake” knock, ending up in reduced power. Some say that you have to let the car idle for a while and this should take care of that issue so it can “learn” others have just gone back to oem mounts.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Seconded!

Third. BFI on my last two cars and couldn't be happier with them. Engine mount, trans insert, & dog bone insert. I've only had stage 2 density and the NVH doesn't bother me. Under most conditions you'd never even know it's not stock. Only cold start, first and reverse really show the downsides but even then it's not bad

I've had negative experiences with BFI and would rather not go back to them.

TMW2442, do you have the 034 mounts? If so, can you talk about what you've experienced?

Ramon, did you have the BFI mounts, or another brand?

Thanks guys!

SRoads

Ready to race!
It all really depends on how sensitive your are to NVH. In my experience in riding in cars with the BFI mounts or other poly based mounts and having the 034s in my mk6; you don't increase your NVH nearly as much with the 034s (just slightly with the AC on). If I didn't tell my wife or passengers that I had them, they wouldn't notice. I have a set 034s ready to go on my R the next couple month when I can find the time.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I personally have the 034 engine and transmission mounts installed on my car. They are fantastic. I paired them with the HPA dogbone mount. Together they really helped to reduce wheel hop and shift feel.

NVH is stock like. I certainly don't mind the very minor increase in idle NVH. That helps me to prevent stalling the car.

My full review for the 034 & HPA mounts:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=504035&postcount=6

If you want to go a bit stiffer the superpro mounts look like a great option.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Definitely go with rubber mounts, 034, CTS, or SuperPro. Poly is not good if you wanna keep NVH levels low. The whole purpose/reasoning behind using poly is because it doesn't flex/give like rubber. And that is awesome in the right application but not in engine mounts.

SuperPro's entire business is making poly everything and even they don't make poly mounts. That should tell you something.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I'd have to say the combo of BFI stage 1 motor/trans w/ 034 dogbone insert is damn near perfect. There's little to no increase in vibration or harshness. There is a little more engine noise transmitted to the cabin but its not a huge increase by any means. I did try and go for the trifecta at one point with BFI's dogbone insert and that was where the vibration and harshness were introduced for me. It wasn't long before I went back to the 034 dogbone and I've been happy ever since. Everyone's different and I feel this is a very subjective topic and I've heard DSG vs manual can make a difference as well. Best advice to the OP is see if you can ride in a car with upgraded mounts to see what they're really like. As always YMMV.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
I've had negative experiences with BFI and would rather not go back to them.

TMW2442, do you have the 034 mounts? If so, can you talk about what you've experienced?

Ramon, did you have the BFI mounts, or another brand?

Thanks guys!

I had the Torque Solutions mounts, which are basically replicas. :)

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
I have the BFI stage 1 engine and transmission mounts and a cts aluminum torque arm insert. Hardly any nvh compared to a insert alone. After a CPL hundred miles it all times down even more. You do get more engine and transmission noise but I think it sounds awesome and mean. Personally anyone who says the bfi poly mounts are too much either don't let them break in or just not used to having a connected feel to the car, definitely not bad at all.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
im running the ecs engine and BFI stage 2 tranny. Def increase in NVH or whatever. However its awesome. Changed up the tone of the car too. Much less open and airy sounding. Much more of a rumble and toned down engine noise. It is louder in the cabin for sure but my gf never noticed. If you enjoy quite and peacful riding. don't do what i did. you want to have fun and feel the power. dooooo it