GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI excessive wheel hop?

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hey Kindi, This happens to me a lot, not only on launches, but for example, when coming out of a turn (you know dubai roads), with traffic approaching, i need to be quick. When i floor it, this happens quite often. I floor it out the turn from standstill and when it needs to change from 1st to 2nd, theres a couple of seconds where nothing happens and then when it does change to second I get a massive wheel hop and a big jerk before it changes. I tried to launch for the first time yesterday and got a lot of wheel hop, my mk6 never ever had the issue when i used to launch, it was extremely smooth.

This really sucks as ive been trying to a get a 0-100 time and the wheel hop and the lag from first to second causes my acceleration times to be around 7.5 - 8.1 seconds .

I don't get the wheel hop that often, only when very slippery or wet. I use LC from time to time with no wheel hop these days.. Maybe because the tires are worn :D

Good results gtiw7 ... I told you without LC might be faster

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I don't get the wheel hop that often, only when very slippery or wet. I use LC from time to time with no wheel hop these days.. Maybe because the tires are worn :D

Good results gtiw7 ... I told you without LC might be faster

Yeah i've never launched the car before and i rarely floor it so not much wheelspin. I guess i need to wait for the tires to wear out a bit :p

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I agree, i got 6.73 without putting it into S mode and by using the manual mode! Shifting yourself seems to do the trick with the jumping and jerking too. Thanks GTIW7

anytime bro, glad to help :D you can get even better if you keep trying ;)

btw I got 14.24 @158.99km/h in the drag....seems like a good time for GTIs running our rubbish 91 octane fuel!

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Wheel hop is very common on a FWD platform. The movement of the engine under load causes movement in the drivetrain all the way to the wheels. So the tires are fighting traction and being wiggled by the engine at the same time.

Almost every company made a torque arm insert for the MK6 which fixed the issue for the most part. Keeps the engine from torquing back and forth. Engine mounts help as well. Im not aware of anyone making inserts for this platform yet.. But i guarantee they will!

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
Wheel hop is very common on a FWD platform. The movement of the engine under load causes movement in the drivetrain all the way to the wheels. So the tires are fighting traction and being wiggled by the engine at the same time.

Almost every company made a torque arm insert for the MK6 which fixed the issue for the most part. Keeps the engine from torquing back and forth. Engine mounts help as well. Im not aware of anyone making inserts for this platform yet.. But i guarantee they will!

THIS.

I ran hoosier slicks for drag racing and going to the car hangouts for a while. The complete fix for the wheel hop was a VFengineering pendulum mount, after I went through 2 inserts ofcourse... After that, the car never wheel hoped again, and felt alot tighter. You can also feel the improved throttle response and a deeper growl from the exhaust while on idle.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

Agree with this, it's common whisdom on the Mk.V/VI GTI and still present on the Mk.VII.
The GTI shares the same soft engine mounts as most (if not all) 1.8/2.0T transverse
engine VAG models (Passat etc.). Sadly VW does not fit stiffer parts to the sportier cars.
These mounts quickly detoriate if driven hard and wheel hop gets even worse with age.

Only cure: Get stiffer engine mounts. Best bets on the Mk.V/VI were THS and Vibratechnics.
Hope they'll make similar parts for the MQB platform soon. The pendulum mount insert does
not fix the issue completely, at least not long term.

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
How do you engage launch control on these? Is it just like the Mk6? I can't find it in the manual.

SM075180

Ready to race!
I have the 6 speed manual in my '17 and get wheel hop like crazy when letting the clutch out ~2-3000rpm in 1st

I would love if someone could educate me on mods that can tighten things up?
It scared me the first few times, thought it was or some engine component grinding to hell after dropping the clutch (relatively slowly)

Didn't know what it was until I watched the video's linked by Tyrant (Thanks btw)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Terrible wheel hop comes standard...it's the overly soft engine, trans, and dog bone mounts.

There's TONS of info on this around here. I personally suggest at least a BFI dog bone mount insert, but I run all three of their stage 2 mounts and love them

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I have the 6 speed manual in my '17 and get wheel hop like crazy when letting the clutch out ~2-3000rpm in 1st

I would love if someone could educate me on mods that can tighten things up?
It scared me the first few times, thought it was or some engine component grinding to hell after dropping the clutch (relatively slowly)

Didn't know what it was until I watched the video's linked by Tyrant (Thanks btw)

Holy thread resurrection batman.:D

Dogbone insert = no wheel hop. Simple cheap fix, had one on mine for over 2 years.

SM075180

Ready to race!
Haha thanks guys! I'm new on here so everything is new to me. Didn't even realize this was two years old until you mentioned the resurrection.

I'll check out the dog bone inserts. It's mostly a daily driver until I get the itch to remind myself I dumped a dodge dart for the GTI and now have some oomph under the hood.