GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

simplify the is38 for me

ashiun

Ready to race!
Latest rev is H. I'd say 80% chance you're going to be fine up at 415chp

Running stacks, custom tunes or pushing on E is gonna drop that percentage to probably around 60%.

You may get lucky. You may not. I've had both oem turbos pushed to the brim. My is38 still kicking and it's latest gen. Buy latest rev used

H is not the latest, it was superseded multiple times including but not limited to the S rev, T rev, 874 F and G revs.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have a real question, because, let's be honest, if one person says something on this forum, it's gospel.... How many people have really blown is38's on the latest revision? Or are people just concerned based on previous versions? And was it on stock software, only tuned cars, and was it specific to certain tunes vs others? I'd honestly be shocked if all of these tuning companies, including APR who I consider a company that doesn't bend on pricing for quality, would continue to sell a solution that would lead to a "common" issue. With the latest revision, are the issues still persistent? Or was it just a couple guys who didn't know what they were doing and beat the crap out of their cars or tuned them on their own and didn't know what they were doing...and now it's wildfire on the forums.

We had several pro-tune guys blow them to bits all within about a month of each other.

Railroader, Bronx Bomber, Ramon and myself were all around 400whp on IS38s. All 3 of them blew up, I sold mine and went to a unit that could safely achieve the power level I'm looking for.

ashiun

Ready to race!
We had several pro-tune guys blow them to bits all within about a month of each other.

Railroader, Bronx Bomber, Ramon and myself were all around 400whp on IS38s. All 3 of them blew up, I sold mine and went to a unit that could safely achieve the power level I'm looking for.

At ~400whp, weren't all of you pushing 29psi+? I mean I'm sure running at 27psi is fine.

If I recall, one of you ran it at something ridiculous like 25psi at redline too... and it still lasted 10k

railroader

Autocross Newbie
At ~400whp, weren't all of you pushing 29psi+? I mean I'm sure running at 27psi is fine.

If I recall, one of you ran it at something ridiculous like 25psi at redline too... and it still lasted 10k
28psi peak and 24-26 to redline on mine, 17° timing

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Revt is after the H now there is an F you can find

Hmm. My 2015 had a rev t, yet the 2016 has a 722H. I'm pretty sure the H came after the T on the R. The order on the turbo rev thread is not correct from OP.
Edit: Many saying H was latest late 16, way after rev T

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
I have been thinking about going to a stock Is38 for over a year now but Threads like these make me second guess it. Right now my ultimate goal is 350-360 wheel. Right now it’s Stage 2 APR 93 octane, with APR intercooler, downpipe etc. I feel like the power needs to be about a thousand rpm higher in the range and a little less peak torque. I know longevity is a crap shoot, but you guys think I would be okay at these levels?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Hmm. My 2015 had a rev t, yet the 2016 has a 722H. I'm pretty sure the H came after the T on the R. The order on the turbo rev thread is not correct from OP.

Here is a list of the revisions in order, there have since been a couple more

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I have been thinking about going to a stock Is38 for over a year now but Threads like these make me second guess it. Right now my ultimate goal is 350-360 wheel. Right now it’s Stage 2 APR 93 octane, with APR intercooler, downpipe etc. I feel like the power needs to be about a thousand rpm higher in the range and a little less peak torque. I know longevity is a crap shoot, but you guys think I would be okay at these levels?

Go w/Littcos IS38x... that is perfect for your power goals.

ashiun

Ready to race!

You had an IS38 Rev T out of your 2015 Golf R? Why do I get the feeling you are saying you had a 702 T is20 out of your 2015 GTI lol.

For reference I have a rev S from a 2017 UK S3, and some Canadian MK7.5 Rs have the rev S too.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
You had an IS38 Rev T out of your 2015 Golf R? Why do I get the feeling you are saying you had a 702 T is20 out of your 2015 GTI lol.

For reference I have a rev S from a 2017 UK S3, and some Canadian MK7.5 Rs have the rev S too.
My T came out of a 2017 audi

ashiun

Ready to race!
My T came out of a 2017 audi

I was referring to Twist's rev T that purportedly came out of his 2015 GTI... That one has to be an IS20 or something

Also, you were running your IS38 like a dog eh, I'd imagine 28-22 with <10deg timing on 94 octane would be a fair bit more reliable lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I was referring to Twist's rev T that purportedly came out of his 2015 GTI... That one has to be an IS20 or something

Also, you were running your IS38 like a dog eh, I'd imagine 28-22 with <10deg timing on 94 octane would be a fair bit more reliable lol
Ya I know, ya I ran mine on the ragged edge for a year till it went byby