GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Incentives 1/9/19-2/28/19

MissedShifting

Passed Driver's Ed
I am a huge VW fanboi, have had 6 GTIs in 23 years.

However Accord and Civic are more fun to drive than the Passat and Jetta.

After having three Acura Integras and a few Honda motorcycles you could say I'm a big fan of their engines and their reliability. And the new Accord with the MT is nice. My girlfriend has one and I drive it often (yes guys, read it and weep, I have a g-friend who will only buy cars with MTs). But that said, the Accord is HUGE. At 192" it is literally as longer than my new 4Runner. Two full feet longer than a GTI. The Civic would be a non-starter for me as it is damn ugly.

mbonness

For anyone interested in weighing-in, with Shane having now shared the Jan-Feb dealer incentives, and the stock of 2018s -- particularly SEs -- dwindling, I've concluded that I'm not gonna score a 2018 GTI SE DSG within my OTD budget of no more than $27,500.

For those of you who don't do OTD, I'm a Maryland resident (6% sales tax and about $300 in state fees), so that works out to a sale price, inclusive of destination and processing/doc fees, of no more than about $25,700.

Best offer I received on a 2018 SE DSG (cloth seats), on the last day of the sales year, January 2nd (right?), was $29,000 OTD (i.e., a sale price, inclusive of destination and doc fees, of $27,075). In retrospect, a good price. But still richer than I've budgeted.

A must-have feature for me is the Front Assist automatic braking, previously available only on the 2018 SE and Autobahn. (Stop-and-start commute on DC's beltway.) That's why I was only looking at the SE trim for 2018. But, for 2019, Front Assist is now available on the S trim with the Driver Assistance Package. So I'm turning to the 2019 S DSG with the Driver Assistance Package.

There's plenty of stock, of course, so there should be better competition on price, unlike with the 2018 SE. Anyone want to weigh-in on whether it's possible to get one (soon) for less than $26,500 OTD, i.e., a sale price of about $24,700, inclusive of destination and processing/doc fees?

Last edited:

wantone

Ready to race!
There's plenty of stock, of course, so there should be better competition on price, unlike with the 2018 SE. Anyone want to weigh-in on whether it's possible to get one (soon) for less than $26,500 OTD, i.e., a sale price of about $24,700, inclusive of destination and processing/doc fees?

Wow those S model MSRP prices have skyrocketed. Though fully loaded with the DSG and drivers assistance package. You're looking at $30,400 with the options you desire. In the DMV area, more specifically with N. Virginia dealers, you'll need a $7400 discount. $30,400-$5700=$24,700. (Your target price including Delivery and Doc fees) $24,700-$799(VA doc)-$895 (delivery)=$23,006. $30,400-$7400=$23,000. That's a steep discount and probably won't be available for quite a while. Lindsey has $5k already for 2019 S models but I think it's missing drivers assist package: https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/n...iption[]=7-Speed+DSG+Automatic+with+Tiptronic

mbonness

That's a steep discount and probably won't be available for quite a while. Lindsey has $5k already for 2019 S models but I think it's missing drivers assist package: https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/n...iption[]=7-Speed+DSG+Automatic+with+Tiptronic
Yeah, the S prices really have jumped up. I mean, for 2019, VW has added 8 hp, the R brakes, and the VAQ diff to the S trim. All great things you would have had to paid for an SE to get last year. But I'm beginning to think you're right about my target price.

And, yes, most of the S stock I've found, so far, does not seem to have the Driver Assistance Package. Many of these vehicles include "Brake Assist," but that's just ABS, not the "Front Assist" automatic braking feature, yes?

Jparr007

Best offer I received on a 2018 SE DSG (cloth seats), on the last day of the sales year, January 2nd (right?), was $29,000 OTD (i.e., a sale price, inclusive of destination and doc fees, of $27,075). In retrospect, a good price. But still richer than I've budgeted

Man, if I get that OTD price I would pull the trigger. I want the gti in white and only two 2018s in my area, one Autobahn and one SE with cloth, both DSG. I offered $34.5k otd for the Autobahn, dealer wouldn’t go below $35.5k. Offered $30k for the SE and dealer didn’t want to budge from $31.5k. Doesn’t make great economic sense for me to buy right now which is why I was willing to try for a 2018 in hopes of getting a good deal. But feels like the dealers just gave me these basic deals, and nothing to write home about. For reference, this is in Florida.

15S3

Ready to race!
For anyone interested in weighing-in, with Shane having now shared the Jan-Feb dealer incentives, and the stock of 2018s -- particularly SEs -- dwindling, I've concluded that I'm not gonna score a 2018 GTI SE DSG within my OTD budget of no more than $27,500.

For those of you who don't do OTD, I'm a Maryland resident (6% sales tax and about $300 in state fees), so that works out to a sale price, inclusive of destination and processing/doc fees, of no more than about $25,700.

Best offer I received on a 2018 SE DSG (cloth seats), on the last day of the sales year, January 2nd (right?), was $29,000 OTD (i.e., a sale price, inclusive of destination and doc fees, of $27,075). In retrospect, a good price. But still richer than I've budgeted.

A must-have feature for me is the Front Assist automatic braking, previously available only on the 2018 SE and Autobahn. (Stop-and-start commute on DC's beltway.) That's why I was only looking at the SE trim for 2018. But, for 2019, Front Assist is now available on the S trim with the Driver Assistance Package. So I'm turning to the 2019 S DSG with the Driver Assistance Package.

Bought a 2018 SE DSG cloth at Sheehy for 29250 OTD, including MD 6% tax and approx 300 tags/title, on 29Dec. It's also green, which was worth at least a few hundred more to me. Also, in order to get that price they required me to finance all of it through VW credit saying I could pay it off after 3 months. I asked to see that in writing and they couldn't come up with anything. I took the deal and called VW credit and they told me I can pay it off anytime I want. Only glitch is that after 2 weeks I haven't been able to pay it off because its still not in their system even thought its accruing interest.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

I bought a 2018 SE 6MT w/ leather back September 2018. MSRP close to 32K. I offered $25.5K and we settled on 26K including destination (excluding taxes / fees etc).

Check out the discounts on the left-over 2018 Autobahns. This one's nearly 8K off (prior to negotiation):

https://www.volkswagenofbethesda.co...Golf+GTI-44d47d3a0a0e0a17289b71c7f6a05913.htm

mbonness

Check out the discounts on the left-over 2018 Autobahns. This one's nearly 8K off (prior to negotiation):

Having watched the stock closely since November, I think you’re right: the 2018 Autobahns are where the real deals are (or are going to be soon). There are a lot of them still out there. Seems like the SE trim represented the best value to most buyers for MY 2018, and there aren’t many left now.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Having watched the stock closely since November, I think you’re right: the 2018 Autobahns are where the real deals are (or are going to be soon). There are a lot of them still out there. Seems like the SE trim represented the best value to most buyers for MY 2018, and there aren’t many left now.

Yes, especially the autobahn 6MTs.

Too bad you'll miss out on the MY 2019's 8-9 extra HP. : )

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 GTI:

Dealer Cash: $2000 (VCI STD APR, bank/CU financing, cash purchase)

Special APR: 1.9%/60mo 2.9%/72mo 3.4%/75mo + $1000 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 1st Choice: +1% to Special APR, $1500 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 2nd Choice: +2% to Special APR, $2000 APR Dealer Bonus
Special Lease: 0.00041/36mo 49% RV 0.00091/48mo 42% RV

2019 GTI:

Dealer Cash: $1000 (VCI STD APR, bank/CU financing, cash purchase)

Special APR: 1.9%/60mo 3.4%/72mo 3.9%/75mo + $500 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 1st Choice: +1% to Special APR, $1000 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 2nd Choice: +2% to Special APR, $1500 APR Dealer Bonus
Special Lease: 0.00090/36mo 53% RV 0.00140/48mo 46% RV

Surprised to see incentives on 2019 GTI this month, but there you go. As usual, PM me if you want info on any other VW models, because I don't always get to check here as often as I'd like.

Question -- Is the "Dealer Cash" different from the "Dealer 1st Choice" and "2nd Choice"? Does this mean that VW gives dealer $2K for any sale and another Bonus of $500 to $1500 depending on financing? So up to $3500 to dealer?

Thanks (and thanks for being a source of good info!)

cb1111

Question -- Is the "Dealer Cash" different from the "Dealer 1st Choice" and "2nd Choice"? Does this mean that VW gives dealer $2K for any sale and another Bonus of $500 to $1500 depending on financing? So up to $3500 to dealer?

Thanks (and thanks for being a source of good info!)

Special APR: 1.9%/60mo 3.4%/72mo 3.9%/75mo + $500 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 1st Choice: +1% to Special APR, $1000 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 2nd Choice: +2% to Special APR, $1500 APR Dealer Bonus

No.

If you buy the car using standard VW financing, pay cash or get your own financing, the the the dealer gets $1000 that he should pass to you.

I you buy the car using the special APR (1.9%/60) then the dealer gets $500 (again to pass to you)

If your credit isn't stellar but you qualify for (and buy) using 1st choice (so 2.9%/60) then the dealer gets $1000

If your credit isn't great (but still good) and you qualify for 2nd choice (3.9%/60), then there is $1500 in it for the dealer (or you if the dealer passes it on.

Those don't stack.

On a $30k purchase (for 60 months), each 1% is about $1000 in interest.

Last year, the incentives were .9% and $1000 dealer cash, so it was basically 0% interest.

This year, the 1.9% is about $2000 in interest. Minus the $500 is about $1500 in interest or 1,5%

1st choice is 2.9% so about $3000 in interest. Subtracting dealer cash is $2000 interest which works out to about 2% in interest.

2nd choice is 3.9%, so $4000 in interest, minus the $1500 is $2500 in interest for an effective interest rate of about 2.5%

Depending on the interest rate you can get from your bank (or if you intend to pay cash), then it may make sense to take the 2nd choice, get the $1500 in dealer cash and then refinance or pay it off in a month.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If your credit isn't stellar but you qualify for (and buy) using 1st choice (so 2.9%/60) then the dealer gets $1000

If your credit isn't great (but still good) and you qualify for 2nd choice (3.9%/60), then there is $1500 in it for the dealer (or you if the dealer passes it on.
The Dealer Choice programs have the same credit requirements as the special APR. Keep in mind that the APR cash that goes with them isn't advertised, so it's VCI incentivizing the dealers to sell the higher rate, meaning they could theoretically sell someone the DC1 rate, take $1000 off the price, and still make an additional $500. Customers who do not qualify for the Tier 1-2 get increased rates, regardless of which VCI program is used for financing.

cb1111

Thanks for the correction. That's for tier 1 and 2 credit.

Tier 3 credit (680-699) adds 1.25% (for up to 60 months)
Tier 4 credit (660-679) adds 3%
Tier 5 credit (640-659) adds 4.5%
Tier 6 credit (620-639) adds 7.5%
Tier 7 credit (600-619) adds 10.5%
Tier 8 credit (below 599) adds 13.5%