GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 install

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
So i broke down and purchased the JB4. Ive done a ton of reading online, a ton of threads, and it seems to be the best thing going to save the warranty. I have an 18 gti se mt. Anyone have any simple advice to make this process easier, tricks of any sort, or maybe knowing i need something else before i install?
Any help is appreciated. Doesnt seem too hard but i just want to make sure im not missing anything.

Thank you guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Yes!

Watch the videos. You'll need ramps to put it on. The biggest piece of advice is that the one that goes on underneath the car, try to plug the male and female sides together. Then practice detaching. This will help when you can't see what your hands are doing.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
It's really as simple as it seems. I would link to a how to on YouTube, but there are plenty, just watch a few. JB4 install will pull up a bunch.

Don't overthink it.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Thanks all, my dad has had a body shop for over 30 years so the clips dont scare me, but like the one guy said, id like to know about what kind they are beforehand so i dont break them because I'm sure there will be atleast one or so that i wont be able to see as well as id like.

Sharpen

Passed Driver's Ed
Super Easy.. You tube is a great help...I spent more time getting the Giant battery out than I did putting the Jb4 in.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Super Easy.. You tube is a great help...I spent more time getting the Giant battery out than I did putting the Jb4 in.
That's def good to hear then! Lol i was hoping for these reactions.

Are all of your results as positive as the ones i read online?

dsgvw

Ready to race!
Hardest part is fishing the cable through the fire wall grommet. The rest is easy and they bottom plug is just a bitch, but not impossible.

Installed mine within 50 miles of owning mine. Love it. Had tuned GTIs the last 12 years but wanted to keep warranty in tact and this fits the bill.

Enjoy!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Hardest part is fishing the cable through the fire wall grommet. The rest is easy and they bottom plug is just a bitch, but not impossible.

Installed mine within 50 miles of owning mine. Love it. Had tuned GTIs the last 12 years but wanted to keep warranty in tact and this fits the bill.

Enjoy!

Only a bitch if done from the top. Once you are underneath it, its easy.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I had to punch through the firewall grommet to run my vacuum line for my boost gauge. Most tedious part it taking out the battery. Piece O cake once the battery is out.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI

Enjoy!
Thats good to hear man. 6 year 72,000 miles us tough to break. Hoping this holds me over for awhile haha

dsgvw

Ready to race!
Question for those running the OBD cable. The video I watched had me remove the plastic piece down by the OBD port to reveal a small rubber grommet which I poked through and used. I have heard others just using the rubber cover where a clutch pedal would have been (for us DSG people). Which one did you all use?

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Here are some tips.. Push the connectors in together before trying to disconnect them. Makes them easier to come apart. I accidently snapped the retaining clip on one of mine cos i tried using the ECS schwaben connector disconnect tool from above. DONT just use your fingers and in from underneath for a better feel. i ended up buying a new connector and re-pinning it. This was on the boost pipe, so it was only four wires. I could have just used a cable tie between the wires to hold em both in, but the car had to go in for warranty and i wanted to put everything back to stock, without raising an eyebrow.

Practice on the JB4 itself, so you're familiar on how the latching system works on each of the connectors.

You'll get the hand of it after one or two disconnects. during your 6yr bumper to bumper warranty ownership, the gti will most likely go in for a warranty repair at some stage.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Question for those running the OBD cable. The video I watched had me remove the plastic piece down by the OBD port to reveal a small rubber grommet which I poked through and used. I have heard others just using the rubber cover where a clutch pedal would have been (for us DSG people). Which one did you all use?

The gti just has a rubber grommet to get through the firewall and into the engine bay.. I took out the battery and came in through the interior, using a coat hanger and the connector tapped up. it comes out around where the battery tray is.. then just pull it through !

tknj99

Ready to race!
You can and should use at least 3 zip ties to secure in strategic spots to take out extra slack and ensure no wires flop around at hit the fan in the future