GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R Tire Wear.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have only 1/32" difference front to rear after 5,000 miles. Even less since the tires on the passenger side always wear a little more. It's not worth it to rotate at my usual 6,000 miles since I always check balance whenever I do a rotation.

So if I rotate at 6,000 miles and again at 12,000 miles I spent enough to buy one tire, and I'm not gong to get 25% more wear by rotating. Goes to show how much traction the rear wheels provide.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Nice info. I don't usually rotate my tires on performance cars and just swap all 4 when it's time. I use to own several RWD cars and they were staggered so kind of from that tradition I suppose.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I typically rotate around 10k depending on driving, but I do it in my garage. Unless you remove wheel weights, balance shouldn’t change since the purpose is balancing the tire to the wheel regardless of the wheels location on a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have only 1/32" difference front to rear after 5,000 miles. Even less since the tires on the passenger side always wear a little more. It's not worth it to rotate at my usual 6,000 miles since I always check balance whenever I do a rotation.

So if I rotate at 6,000 miles and again at 12,000 miles I spent enough to buy one tire, and I'm not gong to get 25% more wear by rotating. Goes to show how much traction the rear wheels provide.

How much is MB charging for rotation?
Should not be a big job. Balance not needed every time.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My stock PZero's are wearing insanely well. I replaced a pair of them at 16k miles because of a shoulder puncture, and the other 2 are original. Now at 34k miles, the tread depth is still super deep, they don't look even half worn, and I can't tell which pair is the newer pair. Crazy-impressive for a summer compound performance tire.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My stock PZero's are wearing insanely well. I replaced a pair of them at 16k miles because of a shoulder puncture, and the other 2 are original. Now at 34k miles, the tread depth is still super deep, they don't look even half worn, and I can't tell which pair is the newer pair. Crazy-impressive for a summer compound performance tire.

Did you rotate them?

One thing about the PS4S is their shallower tread depth when new compared to other tires. Probably for better stability at the cost of tread life.

cb1111

Did you rotate them?

One thing about the PS4S is their shallower tread depth when new compared to other tires. Probably for better stability at the cost of tread life.
No need to balance at every rotation. You'll know when the tires need a balance by vibration.

Balance is different from alignment. A bad alignment may lead to premature tire wear well before you know you've got an alignment problem, but the same doesn't hold true for balancing.

A tire rotation shouldn't cost more than $20 in Florida (it is $20-$25 here in the DC area) so you couldn't get enough tire rotations to pay for a tire if you rotate every 6k miles or so.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Did you rotate them?

Yes, at 10k intervals.

9.5/32nds vs 10/32nds (comparing PS4S and PSS). Doesn't seem like that's gonna cost much tread life, pretty tiny difference. I now have PS4S's on my Z4MC, very interested to see how they last - on my last Z4MC, I blew through a pair of PSS's on the rear in 14k miles, without any alignment issues, track days, or other abuse. Michelin paid part of replacement cost, despite warranty being null & void due to staggered setup.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
9.5/32nds vs 10/32nds (comparing PS4S and PSS). Doesn't seem like that's gonna cost much tread life, pretty tiny difference. I now have PS4S's on my Z4MC, very interested to see how they last - on my last Z4MC, I blew through a pair of PSS's on the rear in 14k miles, without any alignment issues, track days, or other abuse. Michelin paid part of replacement cost, despite warranty being null & void due to staggered setup.

I'm at almost 18k on mine, front and rear are at 3/32 (probably closer to 2/32) left so I need to get on this.

Question for you, if mine are within warranty (rotated every service and not staggered) do they base it off their MSRP or Tire Rac'ks or something else? I got my PSS for $800 all in from Discounted Wheel Warehouse when TR was selling them for $1,100 at the time. It may not be worth it for me to go through the prorate if they take the difference off regular MSRP.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

PZEROs are great tires. Had 3 sets on my E91 3-series. They were the only tires that did not 'cup' (develop flat spots) and performed great from new until they were bald. Always got about 34-36K miles out of them (which was great for the performance category and the way I drove them).

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Question for you, if mine are within warranty (rotated every service and not staggered) do they base it off their MSRP or Tire Rac'ks or something else? I got my PSS for $800 all in from Discounted Wheel Warehouse when TR was selling them for $1,100 at the time. It may not be worth it for me to go through the prorate if they take the difference off regular MSRP.

Not sure, I'd reach out to Michelin and see what they'll do for you. My experience was weird. Previous tires were PS2's on that car, and they wore fine. PSS should have been similar, but for whatever reason, died a quick death.

Another interesting point about PSS vs PS 4S - the 4S's are 2 lbs heavier in the front on my Z4MC. That's a pretty huge difference in unsprung weight, just coming from a tire. I almost went PSS after discovering this, then ultimately went PS4S since the reviews were so overwhelmingly positive.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm at almost 18k on mine, front and rear are at 3/32 (probably closer to 2/32) left so I need to get on this.

I wouldn't go under 4/32. Too much increased risk for hydroplaning and punctures for me. The roads were a lot better when I moved here. Now everywhere you look they're either doing road or building construction.

cb1111

I wouldn't go under 4/32. Too much increased risk for hydroplaning and punctures for me. The roads were a lot better when I moved here. Now everywhere you look they're either doing road or building construction.
Wise decision. While 2/32nds is the legal limit, you lose all hydroplaning resistance at 4/32nds - making 4/32nds the new 2/32nds