GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Navi

Autocross Champion
I used to use radar detectors but if they are tagging you when it's "warning" you, then it's too late. Waze has been way better by itself. It is super reliable in my area. My wife always is surprised how it has been 100%. She always says "wow all you losers have time to report pot holes and police while you drive." LMAOOO... yes we do.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I used to use radar detectors but if they are tagging you when it's "warning" you, then it's too late. Waze has been way better by itself. It is super reliable in my area. My wife always is surprised how it has been 100%. She always says "wow all you losers have time to report pot holes and police while you drive." LMAOOO... yes we do.
Lol so I'm guessing it's an app

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I used to use radar detectors but if they are tagging you when it's "warning" you, then it's too late.

This is just flat out incorrect lol. I get warnings over twisty hills in the Seattle/Tacoma area about a mile in advance. Way further if it is a poacher with his radar on by the side of the road.

I've been using them for 15 years and have gotten 4 tickets in that time, and I am regularly 15mph+ over the limit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
This is just flat out incorrect lol. I get warnings over twisty hills in the Seattle/Tacoma area about a mile in advance. Way further if it is a poacher with his radar on by the side of the road.

I've been using them for 15 years and have gotten 4 tickets in that time, and I am regularly 15mph+ over the limit.

He is confusing radar with laser.....if you get a laser hit, most likely you are dead in the water as they are instantaneous read outs and highly accurate (also not super common).....radar on the other hand is not instant, and normally once you get a hit you have time to slow down enough to be ok.....also laser jammers are legal - but a good system is expensive *schools in session*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
He is confusing radar with laser.....if you get a laser hit, most likely you are dead in the water as they are instantaneous read outs and highly accurate (also not super common).....radar on the other hand is not instant, and normally once you get a hit you have time to slow down enough to be ok.....also laser jammers are legal - but a good system is expensive *schools in session*

He said radar, so I assumed he meant radar. But fuck me, right?

You're 100% on the money regarding laser. Very common on bike cops, but the vehicle cannot be moving when laser is active. Easy to spot down the road. Much less common in cars and SUVs.

Navi

Autocross Champion

yes this is what I meant. Sorry, I did confuse the two initially. I have given up on these devices years ago. Police in my area use radar band Ka 34.7 (if they are using radar) or laser/lidar. Both suffolk and nassau police use PL3 and prolite. Nassau uses K band sometimes. I almost never see radar being used though. So my point was by time the "radar detector" goes off, your speed has already been reported since most likely they used laser. Also, my understanding is that the highway patrol don't always have their radar on. They use their eyes to eyeball cars that look faster than most since the avg speed of vehicles is 75mph in a 55mph zone. So they are looking for a car that is passing every other vehicle like they are parked. I thought even if they hit this car with radar and their radar detector goes off, it is still too late since they are being cherry picked? Obviously this car is a car with an EQT turbo? (my feeble attempt to keep this thread on topic lmao) :D

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Yes, my car, psychonosspaz, and railroader all have the EQT.

You have a few seconds to slow down before radar registers. K band is the slowest but widest, Ka is faster, and laser is instant and very easy to pinpoint cars.

The benefit is that the detector picks up bounces off of other vehicles (even laser sometimes), or sniffs out radar well before you are actually targeted. Obviously driver awareness is still key... If you see the LEO pacing yourself or other drivers it is best to be unassuming lol.

The technology works, and works well, when used correctly.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I actually ran into a bit hiccup with a cop the other day. First cop since I got my Uniden R3 in late 2016 that claims I was going over the speed limit when I was pulled over. I come home from work at 2 in the morning, and I take a state route that goes through a little town, i've been pulled over 3 times never about speed. Small things.

The other night a cop from that town said I was going 62 in a 55, in the snow (which I may have been doing, but I slowed down the second I got any notification of radar, which was low) and then he wanted to search my car. I was like why not, and he didn't bother searching because I didn't have anything to hide. I just wonder if he really got that speed because my R3 hadn't been updated since march, updated it today to make sure I wasn't missing anything...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
He was bored at 2am, pulled you over to stir something up, hence the request to search.

Search my car?? Lol go fuck yourself.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Yeah, it's been a while since I've been pulled over, but never had a search request.

Would have been an automatic 'nah mate'

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Any R’s/A&S3’s have any 1/4 times with this turbo?

While i too am very interested in this, the gearing disadvantages the a3 faces over the r/s3, and especially the later dq381 cars makes for a really poor comparison. Our 3rd just sucks by contrast.