GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Ya its been alot easier since a few people have been banned. There are still a few who are borderline sometimes, but all in all smooth sailing.

Some of those lighting threads got a bit dicey, but it seems to have worked itself out.

khng

I can get a pretty good deal on a parted-out MK4 20th anniversary GTI calipers, worth upgrading my 1.8T brakes with these? I honestly don't know much about brakes, but I just know my Golf could do with bigger brakes!

swansong

2015 GTI S, so manual HVAC. With the direction knob set to defrost, is the AC compressor always on, or only when the A/C light is illuminated? I like cars that have the option to turn the compressor off, but still direct air toward the windshield. Helps save a smidge of MPG that way.

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
2015 GTI S, so manual HVAC. With the direction knob set to defrost, is the AC compressor always on, or only when the A/C light is illuminated? I like cars that have the option to turn the compressor off, but still direct air toward the windshield. Helps save a smidge of MPG that way.

The AC will turn on with the defroster by default but you can turn it off by pressing the AC button. That being said, in my experience with a 2016 S, the defroster alone doesn't work well without the AC running.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

You can just click your dial back a notch towards foot/defrost and you can turn the compressor off and still get most of the flow towards the windshield.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The AC will turn on with the defroster by default but you can turn it off by pressing the AC button. That being said, in my experience with a 2016 S, the defroster alone doesn't work well without the AC running.

No scientist here, but i think if the window frozen, and u put blazing heat on it, maybe there is a chance it cracks? Or maybe its just better at defrost... cold on cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
No scientist here, but i think if the window frozen, and u put blazing heat on it, maybe there is a chance it cracks? Or maybe its just better at defrost... cold on cold

If the glass was the kind of glass used in beer bottles, sure. But with automotive glass designed not to kill occupants in a crash, and withstand temperatures from the negatives to 110+, this is not a concern

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
ac coming on is for de-humidification....car heat ain't gonna crack windshield. boiling h20 to redneck melt it can.

swansong

You can just click your dial back a notch towards foot/defrost and you can turn the compressor off and still get most of the flow towards the windshield.

Cool, sounds like it operates how I expect. The AC is definitely necessary to clear the ice/fog on startup (and works well!) but I like having the option to direct warm, non-conditioned air to the windshield when just cruising around afterwards.

I've had the car for about two weeks now, and I see there's a reason people love them. Everything just works as you'd expect, and is easy to find/operate.

suprsoldier

This should qualify as a stupid question I'd think...

18' SE so 8" infotainment non-Fender...should Amazon Music (or similar) sound much, much better and be capable of producing much higher volume output playing via Bluetooth Audio vs playing via USB/Lightning and Apple CarPlay? If not, any idea what I could possibly be doing wrong? I've used both XS Max and XR with same results (Bluetooth audio >>>Apple CarPlay by miles)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This should qualify as a stupid question I'd think...

18' SE so 8" infotainment non-Fender...should Amazon Music (or similar) sound much, much better and be capable of producing much higher volume output playing via Bluetooth Audio vs playing via USB/Lightning and Apple CarPlay? If not, any idea what I could possibly be doing wrong? I've used both XS Max and XR with same results (Bluetooth audio >>>Apple CarPlay by miles)

This is not the first I've heard of this. Doesn't sound like a stupid question. Sounds like some kind of fidelity loss caused by the Carplay interface.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
here is my ?

back in the day leaving your car in the run position w/o it running I was told was bad. What about today? Thinking of when I mess with OBD11. Car needs to be in run position to program it. Is it OK to press start button w/o depressing clutch and have the car in run mode w/o it running? I can spend 20-30 minutes playing with OBD11 and would rather not idle for that time but if it's the lesser of two evils.....

Mud

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Might belong in wheel section, but will 215 45 17 fit if I’m lowered on ED springs? Planning to run 17x7 et44 wheels for winter setup