GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden loss of power in 2018 Golf R

HeliDriver

Passed Driver's Ed
Inherent to the DSG 7 Spd. Shifting is 8ms during normal upshifting and downshifting but when you ask it to do something it was not anticipating like cruising along then go to WOT, it will take a bit longer...1100ms actually. No one has got an answer why the 7 Spd does this while the 6 Spd does not. Just need to anticipate what gear you want for those spirited moments so it doesn't fall on it's face when you need it to go. Been a lot of us who have gone to VW about it in hopes that they get a fix or at least an answer. Until then I'm just downshifting to get the revs up when I need it. I do find it smoother overall and a bit quicker out of the hole to 60 than the 6spd dsg though.

gebrajake

I’ve had this happen more than a few times on me. Going to turn right and pull in front of on coming traffic, hit the pedal and my face goes towards the steering wheel, no power and then all the sudden it takes off. I think it’s the DSG thinking I’m slowing down and then I don’t. Very scary when it happens though, every time I think I broke the car.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealer says it is normal, but not sure they had it happen on their test drive as it is almost always after gassing up. One time per tank and only happening every 4th or 5th tankful. Now I am just putting the DSG into manual mode for a few minutes after filling the tank and it doesn't seem to happen.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I had this problem with my 2018 R as well. Like you I initially thought I was having issues with fuel starvation because that’s what it feels like. Took it to the dealer and the foreman tried to sell me in the idea that it was normal. The short of the long is I now drive a 2017 Golf R with the DSG6, and FED, no it doesn’t do the same thing as the DSG7. My DSG6 is quite happy to drop three gears without a hint of hesitation.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
TCU in the dsg7speed is orogrammed to disconnect the transmission from the engine when it detects a high clutch wear situation because VW was observing early clutch pack wear in the dryclutch 7speed vs the wet clutch 6 speed . Case closed.

DamageDone

VW noticed the 7speed DSG was suffering from excessive clutch pack wear so their solution was to program the mechatronic to disconnect the engine from the transmission whenever it detects a "high clutch wear situation".

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
VW noticed the 7speed DSG was suffering from excessive clutch pack wear so their solution was to program the mechatronic to disconnect the engine from the transmission whenever it detects a "high clutch wear situation".

Wow. So like when passing a car and realizing the on coming traffic is closer then you thought and you mash the pedal for WOT response? That’s precisely when I want my engine to disconnect from the transmission. Glad I found a left over 2017 to trade my 2018 in on. Way to go VW.

Yes I experienced this in my 2018. More often then not. Complete power loss when demanding WOT response, even in 3rd gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
I've experienced this 2x now... Once after a gas fill and accelerating away at 20% throttle. Another was pulling out of a driveway, again light throttle from a stop. I'll ask the dealer to check it out.