GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear seat fold lever

ollierob

Does anyone know how the plastic part with the lever to fold the rear seats, fits into the seat. While packing some boxes in the car with the seats folded down something caught the edge of the part and it got pushed out slightly.
I don't know whether I need to take it out fully or I can force it back in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432325807.307509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432325825.475904.jpg

This is how it looks compared to the normal one
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432326130.236163.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432326142.308308.jpg

Is this a trip to the dealers?

ridgers84

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've had the exact same thing happen to mine (but carrying a small chest of draws). Did you ever get this problem sorted?

Thanks in advance...

AMSND

EXACTLY the same here.

I'm hoping if I take it to VW they will miraculously snap it back in to place!

Have you had any luck?

EDIT: They did not snap it back into place but quoted my £542 (!!!) to repair.

Have therefore done a little digging in the repair manuals. The plastic cover is attached to the main lock mechanism with 2 plastic tabs, one on each side (see picture), which can be released by pulling them outwards with a hooked tool. The cover could then removed and re-positioned. However I am reluctant to attempt this as I am not sure how to create a gap between the seat upholstery and the locking mechanism and then get all the upholstery back undamaged.

Attachments

• Seat Lock Cover.PNG
    Seat Lock Cover.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,602
Last edited:

Michaelpdobson

Did anyone notice another clip on the back edge near the red lease indicator? That is what i have noticed. I can't push it back down as that is blocked by something below it?

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I'd suggest using a blunt flat bit (or a kitchen knife). Wedge it (from the back) in the gap between the plastic piece and rest if the seat against the release button - it should pop right out (seems like it got misaligned and and is not centered in the hole, the whole plastic piece looks like it was lifted a bit because of this).

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, anyone found out how to remove the plastic cover and fix in correctly again?
I am also having the same issue in my estate.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Going by the diagram I would try pushing it back into place first, making sure the carpet is under the cover. If that doesn't work pull and try to remove it, because it looks like the cover is too high for the tabs to be snapped onto the mechanism anyway. If that doesn't work I figure either the tab or tabs are broken or it's just hard to align the tabs because you can't see what you're doing. But without examining the cover's tabs you'll never know. For that many pounds it seems they want to replace the entire assembly. You might want to call the parts department to see if the cover is available separately if case you find a broken tab.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Happened to me today. Has anyone takin it apart yet?

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Not sure if this will help anyone but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel like the top pops off, but nobody, including me wants to try because we aren't sure if that if it breaks while trying, we can get another one easily w/o having to buy the whole assembly.

mk7covert

I ended up just pulling the plastic piece off and popping it back in. It did not break and I had to pull really hard for it to come out.