GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is why we can't have nice things

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
She has insurance I would assume?

I dunno, I guess maybe it's not worth the hassle but how bad was the door damaged?

It was a small dent and a scratch. I can't imagine going through the hassle of trying to ask for her insurance. She hit me with a door, as an enthusiast it sucks, but it's also a matter of perspective. Based on her car and appearance, she would have probably just driven off if I pushed the issue. Police would have laughed if I asked them to come out for a door ding in a parking lot.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
No worries. It’s one of those shitty things you can’t realistically do anything about. Punching people in the throat tends to be frowned upon :rolleyes:

But contemplating it without actually doing it may provide some (probably illegal) satisfaction. ;)

I always try to park away from everyone and frequently come back to my car to find some crappy old dunger parked next to me. I still can't figure out why, I guess it must be because nice cars have a magnetic attraction or something ?

My worst ever car park experience was to hear an announcement over the shopping centre PA asking me to return to my car. Some [ insert several expletives here ! ] incompetent had managed to mistake the accelerator for the brake and drove up on top (yes, literally on top) of the car in front of them, then slid off that car and dinged the front mudguard (wing ?) of my near-new Skoda Octavia vRS (like a Golf GTI wagon). And of course her insurer wouldn't pay the total cost of repairs as it was done "too expensively". All in all a most unpleasant experience.

drshark

Ready to race!
This summer my mother-in-law dinged my driver's door at their house. Not much you can say in that situation...

:rolleyes:

Shawn

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The other day I came out of the grocery store to actually catch someone who had parked right next to me.

I just casually said

"Had to park right next to me eh?"

The lady just laughed but she obviously had no idea what I was talking about. She didn't even realize she parked right next to the car furthest from the store. She just lemming parked right next to the first car in the lane without even bothering to notice the parking lot was empty.

Lots of zombies out there.

Famous saying called Hanlon's Razor

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Some of the shit with people parking their crap car next to a nice one is obviously intentional (usually teen-agers) but a lot of this stuff is just people being totally oblivious.

That in-law drive-way story is brutal though :p

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The other day I came out of the grocery store to actually catch someone who had parked right next to me.

I just casually said

"Had to park right next to me eh?"

The lady just laughed but she obviously had no idea what I was talking about. She didn't even realize she parked right next to the car furthest from the store. She just lemming parked right next to the first car in the lane without even bothering to notice the parking lot was empty.

Lots of zombies out there.

Famous saying called Hanlon's Razor

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Some of the shit with people parking their crap car next to a nice one is obviously intentional (usually teen-agers) but a lot of this stuff is just people being totally oblivious.

Oh, my God - that drives me nuts!
The herding instinct.

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!

My neighbor trying to guard one of the open spots (unassigned). They over did it.

They need the turtle.

Last edited:

flogR

Ready to race!
Only today, as it happens, I noticed a "lesser" or maybe older Golf with 1.6 on the back had wide black rubbery protector strips on the sides. They looked like official O.E. and did not ruin the looks.
Does anyone know if they are just stuck on rather than attached thru holes in the doors?
I might try to get some from a wreck.

On a previous car I had a black-with-chrome-insert strip professionally fitted all the way round. Judging by the multiple damages to it when I sold it 20 years later it paid off in spades.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Are you referring to door moldings? Those things are pretty much useless as the door hitting your car must be at that exact height and angle to land on that little strip of plastic.

My mk5 Golf had (as did all mk5 Golfs, I think) those bodyside moulding protectors on the doors. They didn’t stop a 4x4 truck putting a nice ding in one of my doors.

As you say, unless the widest part of the door on all other makes of car correspond to the position of those ‘protectors’ on your own car, they’re pretty pointless, and IMO they spoil the looks of the car.

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Not advocating, as I don't think there is anything that can be done that is better than parking way out there and using passenger mirror dip to back into an end spot. But if you can get over the hideous...

Ding Bats....

Door Shox...

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not advocating, as I don't think there is anything that can be done that is better than parking way out there and using passenger mirror dip to back into an end spot. But if you can get over the hideous...

Hideous indeed! And only good for protecting the areas in the immediate proximity of where you attach them. Still plenty of scope for someone to inflict a parking ding in the rear quarter panel or front wing/fender on the Porsche in the picture you posted.