GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At my wit's end with windshield wipers

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Hah, I love how this is now a 50/50 battle. One end is against the damnable rain-x and the other against the wiper arms and glass itself..

I'm pretty goddamn sure it has to do with everything listed in one way or another. I purchased some ceranium powder to polish the glass with and I'll see how things go after that, I don't have the best expectations but I'll try it. If it still chatters, I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up. But again, either way I'm going to apply rain-x as I'd rather have the hydrophobic properties with some inconsistent stuttering vs not being able to see shit with any kind of rain and a slightly reduced chatter..

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad I guess. But enough of this technical bs back and forth, unless someone has actual proof of something that has been linked directly to the wiper chatter, just save it!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Hah, I love how this is now a 50/50 battle. One end is against the damnable rain-x and the other against the wiper arms and glass itself..

I'm pretty goddamn sure it has to do with everything listed in one way or another. I purchased some ceranium powder to polish the glass with and I'll see how things go after that, I don't have the best expectations but I'll try it. If it still chatters, I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up. But again, either way I'm going to apply rain-x as I'd rather have the hydrophobic properties with some inconsistent stuttering vs not being able to see shit with any kind of rain and a slightly reduced chatter..

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad I guess. But enough of this technical bs back and forth, unless someone has actual proof of something that has been linked directly to the wiper chatter, just save it!
We can all only speak from our own experiences, which are facts. I doubt you will ever get the technical data you seek on this. Until wiper chatter starts causing sales to drop lol.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
We can all only speak from our own experiences, which are facts. I doubt you will ever get the technical data you seek on this. Until wiper chatter starts causing sales to drop lol.

Exactly….especially when like me you do a stage by stage process to get to the bottom of the problem...as the root cause is exacerbated by other factors...:cool:

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
So I postponed polishing it because I wanted to try again another application of RainX after a full detail and clay bar on the windows. It didn't do shit. Next day on pouring rain, first few wipes were great, then it started stuttering again.

I just can't imagine needing to polish a windshield that's only 4k miles old. But I guess I can try.

Question for everyone... I used to wipe my blades clean using Stoners on my Civic and they worked fine. I did this on my GTI on the old blades and stopped after the dealership told me to stop doing that on these types of blades as it would ruin them. Any validity to that?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
TL;DR. Did you try detergent washer fluid like KristallKlar?

I’ve been using Splash purple washer fluid which contains a lubricant. My 1 year old wipers, serving duty on their second New England winter, are still wiping like new, and without chatter. I don’t do anything with my windshield or wipers.

I’m also trying out adding KristallKlar to the Splash just because I hear great things about it.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
To be honest, again, correct wiper action should not be anywhere near this complicated. Polishing the glass every year, using fancy ass washer fluid, etc. is all bullshit. I know this has something to do with the motor arm action and compression of the blades against the glass. You guys can keep going nuts on your blades but I'm not wasting my time, if mine chattered off n on from day 1 of new ownership I know this to be true, and no it's not some mysterious clear film the factory applied to the glass.. cmon..

For those who this just doesn't happen too, you're just the luck of the draw. And who knows, maybe crazy shit like higher or lower altitude may affect the arm speeds or the pressure against the glass, I don't know

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
TL;DR. Did you try detergent washer fluid like KristallKlar?

I’ve been using Splash purple washer fluid which contains a lubricant. My 1 year old wipers, serving duty on their second New England winter, are still wiping like new, and without chatter. I don’t do anything with my windshield or wipers.

I’m also trying out adding KristallKlar to the Splash just because I hear great things about it.
That's actually exactly what I'm using it. The wiper does perform perfectly when I use the wiper fluid. It's in the rain that's awful.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
That's actually exactly what I'm using it. The wiper does perform perfectly when I use the wiper fluid. It's in the rain that's awful.

Which basically proves nothing other than when you splash a load of wiper fluid all over the windshield, the wipers wipe, and the fluid obviously has some sort of lubricant to it as most would to encourage quick cleaning and less streaks. Point is I can't hold down the fluid stalk anytime it's raining..

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Out of all the things I find annoying about the car, this isn't in my top three. But when the rear wiper does it the noise is quite annoying. But I agree that it shouldn't be this complicated to get great wiper performance. The 4oz washer fluid reservoir is more annoying this time of year. Then the car reminding me it's low every few minutes is equally annoying.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
It's curious as I've never had an issue with the rear wiper chattering. I don't use it much anyways and never have it on consistently, but when I do use it it's as smooth as butter

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Alright everyone, my issue is finally resolved. Polishing the glass is what did it for me.

I cleaned the glass with Stoners, then clay bar'd it, then went at it with a DA polisher and Wolfgang's Glass Polish (and a glass polishing pad). I essentially followed AMMO NYC/Drive's video of glass polishing.

As a side note, it was my first time using a DA polisher and holy shit, I am fucking weak. I see videos of people using that thing and they make it look easy! That thing is heavy and difficult to keep steady!

I haven't applied RainX yet so while no stutter, it was a bit squeaky at times. Very funny how you don't know how your glass isn't perfect until you polish it. It is mega clean now.