GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another MK7 GTi blown engine post..

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Wild speculation here regarding detection of a piggy-back.

I truly believe VW can detect that a vehicle has *likely* been piggy-backed. If only for the simple fact that acceleration rates would be very strong, which I am sure these metrics are recorded in the ECU/PCM.

However, it wouldn't be slam-dunk for VW to defend against this kind of "speculative" or "circumstantial" evidence. It is very easy to deny TD1 because it is provable by VW that their ECU/PCM was modified.

If they wanted to say it seems to have been piggy-backed, people could claim they always have a tail-wind, were going slightly downhill every time WOT, or they had removed 400 pounds of crap from their car thereby causing it to accelerate faster.

When I had JB1 on my GTI, the power at mid-RPMs was far stronger than stock, there's no way it doesn't get recorded in some way that something is going on. Just tough to prove exactly what is up, I guess:confused:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The only "logs" a car takes is Freeze Frame data when a fault occurs... There is no "deep scan"... It is simply scanned, and that data is compared to the data kept in the cloud... who's name I just learned from GolfDave the other week but can't remember right now. If the ECU/TCU have additional flash counters that were not reported to VW by ODIS, boom it gets flagged TD-1 or whatever. Pretty simple. Over boost and other such parameters would have to be compared by a human as well as the car would have to be looked over to possibly identify anything caused by a piggy back.

Edit: Remember guys I actually use ODIS a few times a week and have training in using it.

Last edited:

cb1111

Pretty sure I've heard several times on multiple forums that the JB4 is indeed detectable.

You've heard people claim it, but yet no evidence exists. Should be easily obtainable.

Yeah there are several of them that has been denied after flashing back to stock.

There has never been a case of a warranty denial because of JB4, that anyone is aware of.

Wild speculation here regarding detection of a piggy-back.

I truly believe VW can detect that a vehicle has *likely* been piggy-backed. If only for the simple fact that acceleration rates would be very strong, which I am sure these metrics are recorded in the ECU/PCM.

However, it wouldn't be slam-dunk for VW to defend against this kind of "speculative" or "circumstantial" evidence. It is very easy to deny TD1 because it is provable by VW that their ECU/PCM was modified.

If they wanted to say it seems to have been piggy-backed, people could claim they always have a tail-wind, were going slightly downhill every time WOT, or they had removed 400 pounds of crap from their car thereby causing it to accelerate faster.

When I had JB1 on my GTI, the power at mid-RPMs was far stronger than stock, there's no way it doesn't get recorded in some way that something is going on. Just tough to prove exactly what is up, I guess:confused:

There probably isn't currently a way for VW to electronically detect a piggyback - but - there will be several other indicators that a motivated shop can use to deny warranty service on a failure.

• It is unlikely that the piggyback is the only mod
  • There will be tool marks and holes in the firewall
  • The failure is indicative of a "tune"

The thing that most people overlook is if the dealer (and VW) denies warranty service then your only recourse is to take them to court.

I've seen BMW deny warranty service with far less "evidence"

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
The thing that most people overlook is if the dealer (and VW) denies warranty service then your only recourse is to take them to court.

With no guarantee you're going to win, meanwhile your car is going to either sit unfixed or you're going to have to front the cost of the repair while hoping you win the case and can recover.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
There probably isn't currently a way for VW to electronically detect a piggyback - but - there will be several other indicators that a motivated shop can use to deny warranty service on a failure.

• It is unlikely that the piggyback is the only mod
  • There will be tool marks and holes in the firewall
  • The failure is indicative of a "tune"

I've seen BMW deny warranty service with far less "evidence"

The fact of the matter is, no JB4 removed vehicle has been denied warranty. So your thought process and analysis of situational potential is absolutely pointless.

VW would have to prove any of your stated points caused the part of failure. Just saying "oh look there is a hole in the firewall, must have been JB4'ed is not enough evidence to void anything.

Ive seen personally warranty work done on flashed cars also FYI lol.

Last edited:

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
The fact of the matter is, no JB4 removed vehcile has been denied warranty. So your thought process and analysis of situational potential is absolutely pointless.

VW would have to prove any of you stated points caused the part of failure. Just saying "oh look there is a hole in the firewall, must have been JB4'ed is not enough evidence to void anything.

Ive seen personally warranty work done on flashed cars also FYI lol.

Yeah, last time I saw someone claim piggybacks were denied a number of times - the "evidence" they posted were mostly from BMW forums which doesn't work the same way as on the VWs and the one VAG car that did get denied was because the person left the piggyback plugged in still.

And there was someone posting on this forum not long ago that got a new engine under warranty even though they were tuned (Cobb? can't remember which one for sure).

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It's really dealership specific and how much they want to help you out during the process....a reason I drive an hour to get any work done on my car, as my local VW shop sucks ass

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
As far as I'm aware BMW is the only manufacturer able to detect JB4, as there are boost sensors located within the turbo itself that read and store the actual pressure going through it. Fortunately VW hasn't implemented such a system on the EA888, so any data from the ECU would have to be circumstantial if they wanted to deny warranty.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
As far as I'm aware BMW is the only manufacturer able to detect JB4, as there are boost sensors located within the turbo itself the read and store the actual pressure going through it. Fortunately VW hasn't implemented such a system on the EA888, so any data from the ECU would have to be circumstantial if they wanted to deny warranty.

My man, at least some one gets it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Didn't know that, but I love and have supported BG products here. I use the MOA and the 44k (fuel additive). My shop uses these BG products when we do "tune ups" for cars. Mainly when we replace the air filter and spark plugs (and distibuter cap / rotor and spark plug wires for older cars).

emanon

Ready to race!
No they wont.. .stop talking out of your ass.

If you understand how the JB4 works, the PCM doesnt record parameters changed. There is a reason the JB4 is labeled "Undetectable".
Um yeah, it does, fuel trim is definitely datalogged. Ask the guys at JB4 if they will guarantee it is undetectable and won't void your warranty, they 100% won't.