GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 turbo running stage 1?

Atj89

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering if there's anyone that is running a stage 1 tune on the IS38 turbo instead of stage 2 or beyond. I am looking for the most stock like reliability I can get and don't really trust all that power even with a turbo upgrade. The golf R uses the IS38 turbo and has a lower power output than a stage 1 GTI. I feel like getting a turbo upgrade and then pushing it way to far is just as risky as pushing the stock GTI turbo past it's limits. Hence, I'm wondering if the IS38 will work with stage 1. Only reason I ask is because no one talks about doing it. I'm not interested in running any stage 1 tune on the stock turbo and blowing it up when I least expect it.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Tick tick boom, which is why no one talks about doing it. Running this turbo without the proper tune is trouble waiting to happen.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you'll still need to run the correct tune just because it's more than boost its changing. You could still run an IS38 with proper tune and just use your right foot to control boost lol. or possibly get a custom tune and just ask to run it at XX psi on the tune

Bawlti

Ready to race!
I think APR may have a IS38 tune without a DP. Not sure, but they have the hp/tq numbers on their website. I wouldn't run it without a proper tune. Yes, it's a oem turbo, but GTI and R power curves are different.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Has anyone actually blown an is38 mounted on a GTI? If I remember correctly, it's generally more reliable than the IS20, even with the high power tunes.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
There have been a couple I believe but it tends to be pretty rare. That could be due to them not being as common or due to better reliability.. who knows for sure

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Diggs has an excellent point. It's also important to note that forums tend to be more about bad things and problems, then good things and non issues. Nature of the beast.

Nobody starts threads to say...hey my GTI worked flawlessly today! and it was awesome!