GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Update: 6.04.2016
Mac interface capability added
Please download latest interface version from here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742

Updated: 29.03.2016

First available firmware update resolving idle issues some vehicles have had available here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34711
Please note when doing a firmware update JB unit must be connected to car and key in the on position.

This thread is specific to the Golf 1.8TSI US model.
The unit is called a stage 1 or JB1 as it is called on the forum because it is a simpler unit compared to the yet to be released JB4 and does not signify stage tuning as one is use to when it comes to flash tuning.

[FONT=&quot]These units are now available and a ready for order at http://burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group3_JB1_tuner.html
Retail price is $[FONT=&quot]37[FONT=&quot]9 plus $35 for the option[FONT=&quot]al Data Cable[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
The JB1 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains. It can be installed and removed in minutes.

Install instructions:

Install instructions can be found here: http://burgertuning.com/instructions...G_EA888_G3.pdf

The JB Stage 1 is suitable for the EA888 Gen 3 motors with Golf 1.8T.
The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.8psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and up. and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this setting are 35whp and 45ft lb. .

User interface software:
For users that have opted to purchase the optional BMS Data Cable you will need to download and install the user interface at this link http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/jb4_interface.zip .
A 3rd Party has developed Mac software to use that works well, it can be downloaded here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742

Directions on how to connect and change firmware:

Directions on installing the interface and connecting to your JB can be found here
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197021&postcount=1
Please note when doing a firmware update JB unit must be connected to car and key in the on position.
You will know you connected when you can see values in the user adjustment page. If these are 0 the unit is not connected to the laptop.

A video tutorial can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQjMWBVve4

Firmware is what runs the JB1 unit. As we release updates or new firmware version this can be uploaded to your unit free of charge.

Map selection:
In order to change the map in the picture below under the logging tab you can pick the required map. Under status the unit must show connected. This is done by clicking file and selecting connect.

Upon shipping the following maps are active:
Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB1 does nothing
Map 1: Tuned map, this supports 91 octane and up at the base boost setting as well as bolt ons. If higher octane is used the boost can be increased as well as with bolt ons. We have found cars running 3 handle up to 5.2psi boost safety add just fine.
Map 3: Methanol map to be used with our integrated meth system. Email for details.
Map 6: User adjustable boost profile (see below) Active on units that ship 30.09.2015 and after. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me george@burgertuning.com to receive a copy of the firmware.

Map 1 Boost settings
Below is a diagram of where the user adjustment is made for boost over stock. Add in the value and click save.

There is a new release of the interface so now the boost setting change is under Boost Safety as circled in red. Updating your existing one if previously downloaded is not required.

Map 6 boost selection:

Please see next post for instructions on where the extra plug gets connected. This is plug A in the install instructions. Map 6 is optional to use and there is a bit of skill required to connect the plug due to its location.

For map 6 you will need to connect to the unit and select map 6. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me george@burgertuning.com to receive a copy of the firmware. On units that ship from 30.09.2015 there is no need. If your unit has a exposed blue wire you will need to email.

Below is where you enter the values for map 6. It works similar to map 1 so the value is the additional boost over stock.

The unit can log boost on the two sensors, dme boost as well as the rail pressure. The balance of the engine parameters and settings in the picture are exclusive to the yet to be released JB4 but it gives you a idea of what is to come.

Guys with boost gauges that are working off the OBD signal will only see stock boost.
If you suspect you triggered a engine light by unplugging a sensor by not waiting for the car to go into sleep mode rather clear faults before a dealer visit.

Support queries can be posted on the BMS support forum http://www.n54tech.com under the VW group section or using email at george@burgertuning.com . Please include the model of the car, fuel used and hardware.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
JB1 revision 2 units sold from 25/08/2016 do not have this plug and map 6 is already active.

To open up map 6 on the unit follow install instructions for plug A and this is the location the plug goes in. If you feel overwhelmed by doing this its best to run the car at map 1 which is a optimized map.
Check the firmware on your unit, if you do not have 60/4/4 then download it from here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34711
or direct link to download http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40298&d=1446482809

Some map 6 was conducted by user toledospeed, below the dyno graph, it seems there is more benefit at the top with higher boost adding up to 10whp in some places.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Base settings to be used as a starting point for map 6.

91 Octane

1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 4.8
4500 4.8
5000 4.8
5500 4.8
6000 4.6
6500 4.5
7000 4.5

93 Octane

1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 5
4500 5
5000 5
5500 5
6000 4.8
6500 4.5
7000 4.5

As time passes users can post their findings. We have tested upper limits as well so if you unsure how high you can go boost wise rather email us george@burgertuning.com or post here.
We are going to be doing some dyno testing with figures up to 5.5 to see what the incremental gains are to see if there is value in going that high with the boost settings. Results may also vary according to fuel quality from area to area.

Last edited:

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious, would anyone happen to know which boost gauges do or do not work off of the OBD signal? I have only seen a handful of boost gauges for the mk7 golf tsi 1.8t on ECS tuning

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Awesome George, glad to see this up! Thanks again for the great support and coming through for the NA Golf 1.8T folks :) Got some more logs coming your way here soon. I think you will like what you see.

The picture quality isn't bad for a mobile phone. Seems like forever since I took this pic. I now have the blue wires in a black sheath. I believe I had an early JB1 unit that had those wires exposed. It seems like a tight area to work in at first, but easily doable if you are patient and take your time. Folks with smaller hands/fingers will have an easier time. IIRC, you can pull the grey slide on the OEM plug out a bit towards to right side of the car (the slide faces the front of the car). Then, press down to open the tab while pulling out the plug. Once you see how it opens, it isn't bad at all, just kind of a PITA to get to.

vnl

Passed Driver's Ed
What does Map 1 look? Just looking for a comparison between the starting point of Map 6

+1. Curious of this as well.

Just spent some time down in the underground parking with the hood up. Plug D is some damn hard to find! The thing is easier to reach with my arm than it is to actually see. B & C were a breeze to spot. Found Plug A no issues too, so my question is...

Is there any harm in connecting plug A if I only intend to run Map 1 for now?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
What does Map 1 look? Just looking for a comparison between the starting point of Map 6

+1. Curious of this as well.

Just spent some time down in the underground parking with the hood up. Plug D is some damn hard to find! The thing is easier to reach with my arm than it is to actually see. B & C were a breeze to spot. Found Plug A no issues too, so my question is...

Is there any harm in connecting plug A if I only intend to run Map 1 for now?

Map 1 works differently to map 6. It has algorithm that adds up to the boost safety value on spool up if the turbo can allow and from 4000rpm its at the boost safety level. The lower range would be mostly 4's but it may vary from car to car.

Slick99

Ready to race!
That great George, finally we got the official thread for 1.8t

vnl

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, got it all installed today. Had to buy lift ramps and get under the car to get Plug D - that thing was hard enough to get unclipped with the improved access from below.

Opted to not plug in Plug A. It was ****ing impossible to get at and I was worried if I did get it unplugged I wouldn't be able to get a grip on it to plug it into the harness.

There's definitely a noticeable power increase, though I did notice the car was pushing MUCH further into the red line than it used too, which concerned me slightly.

All in all, went smoothly. Maybe I'll retry for Plug A in the coming months.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
I'm confused, on the other 1.8 jb1 thread it mentions that for the golf we don't use plug A (something about just NA Golf 1.8T) and that there was going to be an adapted harness so that plug A can be used...??? So plug A is where the rpm signal is gotten I assume, that's why we need access to it for map6 (is that correct?)

Btw I posted on the other thread last night first, because though I searched jb1 + 1.8T nothing came up. It's weird the Tapatalk app on my phone does that when I search, almost never get results...anyway just didn't want to be so redundant [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I'm confused, on the other 1.8 jb1 thread it mentions that for the golf we don't use plug A (something about just NA Golf 1.8T) and that there was going to be an adapted harness so that plug A can be used...??? So plug A is where the rpm signal is gotten I assume, that's why we need access to it for map6 (is that correct?)

Btw I posted on the other thread last night first, because though I searched jb1 + 1.8T nothing came up. It's weird the Tapatalk app on my phone does that when I search, almost never get results...anyway just didn't want to be so redundant [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The site seems to have a issue with the search function.

Initially when the unit was released plug A was not used. Now its optional for map 6 use, the car will also drive smoother in both maps when its plugged in as it changes the operating mode of the unit. It is optional due to the difficulty of plugging it in. The add on harness attempt was to find a easier location for it that we did not succeed with.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Opted to not plug in Plug A. It was ****ing impossible to get at and I was worried if I did get it unplugged I wouldn't be able to get a grip on it to plug it into the harness.

It is a bit tight no doubt, but it is not too bad if you take your time. Just don't force anything. If you are not comfortable working in tight areas like this, I completely understand. Some things I did (that I did not mention above) may make it easier for folks.

1) I temporarily threaded an 8 inch cable tie through the wires on the OEM connector (on the right side on the on the part that pops out to the right). Once in place, that allowed me to use it as a "handle" to hold and guide the connector so it wouldn't slip down to an area that is hard to reach. Once you get the OEM connector disconnected (hardest part for me), reconnecting the JB connector wasn't too bad. When you are done with the cable tie (at some point it will get in the way), clip it off the OEM connector while being careful not to snip the wires.

2) Another thing you can do is move the hose over as well as loosen up and pop up some of the brackets that sit around the area above where you need to work. I loosened the bracket (with the star bit), but it really didn't give much more room to work. Perhaps it did help more than I realized, but it didn't seem like it!

As George stated, the car will run a bit better on map 1 after plug A is connected, Plus, you will have map 6 capability as well. I think the high end is definitely stronger on map 1 after it is able to use the algorithm using the RPM. Now that I am on map 6, I won't be going back to map 1 since I can run more boost up top while ramping up slower so I don't lose traction so often.