GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just installed Curt Trailer Hitch(2015 GTI)

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Hey Folks,

Thought I would post up here and show the Curt hitch installed on my 2015 GTI. So far I really like it. Clean look and not too obtrusive. It was also EXTREMELY easy to install. Just make sure you have a torque wrench so you can torque bolts down to spec. Don't want it coming loose on you.

I installed mine so I could pull my classic mini behind the GTI for auto shows since long drives in the mini on the highway aren't exactly...fun.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Would this work for a bike mount ?

I don't see why not! It's the smaller receiver(1.25?) But yes thats the reason most people install these hitches.

Forget the GTI, more info required on the Mini! (fellow mini owner) Looks like a Mk 1/2?

Hahaha! It's a 1960 Morris with a 1293cc motor(and some bits inside that make it a little bit of a "hot motor" :D) I have had it about 3 years and daily drive it. I am located in Charlotte, NC. Are you going to go to Classic Minis United in Cherokee this year? http://www.classicminis.org/mini56.htm If you are in Charlotte or nearby I will be at cars and coffee tomorrow.

Sweet Mini. The first car I ever purchased (in 1965) was a 1961 Austin Mini Cooper 997cc. It was in our family for 12 years.

Even though mechanically they are so temperamental they are such wonderful cars. So much personality and it really becomes part of the family. You should get another! They aren't wildly expensive (5k for a running one).

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
Hahaha! It's a 1960 Morris with a 1293cc motor(and some bits inside that make it a little bit of a "hot motor" :D) I have had it about 3 years and daily drive it. I am located in Charlotte, NC. Are you going to go to Classic Minis United in Cherokee this year? http://www.classicminis.org/mini56.htm If you are in Charlotte or nearby I will be at cars and coffee tomorrow.

Awesome, but I'm the wrong side of the pond to go. Mini's are getting pretty rare sight on the roads here now, you must be one of very few over there.

I've done 5 years of having a mini as a daily but that was quite a while ago. I wouldn't want to do it anymore.

I'm on my 3rd mini now, it's a '93 Italian Job special edition, I've tweaked the suspension but the engine and gearbox are standard 1275. Sadly it's a bit worse for wear at the moment and is currently parked in the garage awaiting some restoration. New wings, a panels and scuttle are required.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Awesome, but I'm the wrong side of the pond to go. Mini's are getting pretty rare sight on the roads here now, you must be one of very few over there.

I've done 5 years of having a mini as a daily but that was quite a while ago. I wouldn't want to do it anymore.

I'm on my 3rd mini now, it's a '93 Italian Job special edition, I've tweaked the suspension but the engine and gearbox are standard 1275. Sadly it's a bit worse for wear at the moment and is currently parked in the garage awaiting some restoration. New wings, a panels and scuttle are required.

Man I know what you mean regarding driving it every day. It does take a lot of energy to drive. Nice to have the VW as a fallback when I want my creature comforts. Body work is always the hardest to get started for me. Welding and messing up paint before fixing it. I can always dive into the mechanical stuff quick and easy.

blimey1

Who knew we had classic mini owners lurking about. Here are my two.Both owned 26 years. 63 Countryman and 67 Cooper S.

Prepping the Cooper S for the Cherokee event as we speak. See ya there!

Last edited:

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
What kind of electrics did you fit with the hitch? Was it a universal or a VW one?

I haven't done any electrics yet but all I can find are universal ones. I am not sure VW offers an OEM solution for the GTI that I can find in the US. Are you aware of any?

Who knew we had classic mini owners lurking about. Here are my two.Both owned 26 years. 63 Countryman and 67 Cooper S.

Prepping the Cooper S for the Cherokee event as we speak. See ya there!

I love them!! Can't wait to see them in person. Where you coming in from?

I can only seem to find the universal ones, I have one but it needs a brake light connection along with turn signals and side lights but on my Golf there is only one wire to both brake and side light it just goes from 6V to 12V so am thinking the universal ones won't work. Have looked at the light fitting and there is only one bulb for both operations. My trailer does not have any modern fancy stuff and I only need tail lights, turn signals and brake to work.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I too have the Curt Class 1 model 11355 which I use for my bikes. Agree it is an easy install, looks good, works well.

The Mini info in this thread is fantastic.[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

I can only seem to find the universal ones, I have one but it needs a brake light connection along with turn signals and side lights but on my Golf there is only one wire to both brake and side light it just goes from 6V to 12V so am thinking the universal ones won't work. Have looked at the light fitting and there is only one bulb for both operations. My trailer does not have any modern fancy stuff and I only need tail lights, turn signals and brake to work.

You will need a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) converter that is for the STT (Stop, Turn, Tail). I used the CURT Tail Light Converter #56201