GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Preventative Maintenance Before/During Tune

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
All,

I'm looking to go from Stock to Stage 2 on my 40k mi 2015 GTI...What routine maintenance/mods are important for engine/car longevity and reliability? I understand all of the common mods and Owner's Manual Services (i.e. oil changes, brakes, etc..) already, but how about suspension/engine internals that should be upgraded to prevent problems down the line?

Mods so far: DP, Short shift kit, Injen Intake, Coilovers
Mods soon: Intercooler, Tires, Dogbone Mount insert
Mods eventually: Stage 2, Clutch

Note: I don't plan on taking it to the track. This is my daily that I enjoy driving aggressively from time to time. Appreciate any advice. Be easy on me, I'm not an engineer.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Change your intervals to the following:
Oil changes every 5k miles
Spark plugs every 10-15k miles

Brakes, tires will depend on how hard you drive, replace as needed. Same for suspension. Firmer suspension may help with launching and preventing the ass of your car from dipping.

Upgraded engine and dogbone mounts can help put power down to the ground. I'd say start with a dogbone (edit, which youre planning on) and go from there based on need.

Engine internals dont really need replacing for stage 2, unless something brakes.... which is rare. Stage 2 on a MT will require a clutch sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
Change your intervals to the following:
Oil changes every 5k miles
Spark plugs every 10-15k miles

Brakes, tires will depend on how hard you drive, replace as needed. Same for suspension. Firmer suspension may help with launching and preventing the ass of your car from dipping.

Upgraded engine and dogbone mounts can help put power down to the ground. I'd say start with a dogbone (edit, which youre planning on) and go from there based on need.

Engine internals dont really need replacing for stage 2, unless something brakes.... which is rare. Stage 2 on a MT will require a clutch sooner rather than later.
This is great advice thank you! Never would have guessed spark plugs needed to be replaced so frequently.
I would move a clutch to the top of your list.
Appreciate the advice. I was really hoping to get as much as I could out of the stock clutch. Maybe I could sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I wouldn’t expect much for the clutch if you are planning to sell it. The clutches that come stock in our cars are not very good. I am not saying you can’t sell it, just don’t have high expectations. When I upgraded my clutch I did not even bother listing it.

And regarding your original question I agree with everything listed above plus making sure you clean your air filter with every oil change especially since you have an open intake. Hope this helps!

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
I wouldn’t expect much for the clutch if you are planning to sell it. The clutches that come stock in our cars are not very good. I am not saying you can’t sell it, just don’t have high expectations. When I upgraded my clutch I did not even bother listing it.

And regarding your original question I agree with everything listed above plus making sure you clean your air filter with every oil change especially since you have an open intake. Hope this helps!
Very helpful thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk