GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Turbo Blankets Worth the Time and $?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
But what if they're made of real actual stick on carbon fiber? Can't argue with the weight savings there.

lol...funtion over form any day. Do they glow at night? Now that would be cool...

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
A Forge turbo blanket will net more benefit for $50 than some folks paying $150+ for paddle extensions.

just sayin' ....

Paddle extensions(S2T) are my absolute favorite mod on my (nearly) FBO car! I'd trade my tune to keep them, any day!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Paddle extensions(S2T) are my absolute favorite mod on my (nearly) FBO car! I'd trade my tune to keep them, any day!

daaaaaaaang. I wouldn't give my tune for anything.....except a protune. I'll be grabbing a turbo blanket down the road.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Is nobody else concerned about the guy installing a $13 turbo blanket from the second post? I don't know the material costs of these things, but I feel like the correct (read: fire resistant, heat resistant) materials can't be manufactured for so little, even in the magical land of China, where plastic mirror caps with perfect fit cost a mere $30.
At what temperature does fiberglass burn sir?

Trick question it doesn't

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Probably made of radioactive metal thats cheaper to get rid of being sold at that price but whatever. As much as I like having 10 fingers, 11 would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

:)

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_122157_01.gif
    IMG_20190918_122157_01.gif
    425.9 KB · Views: 339

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
20 bucks from Aliexpress complete replacements ftw baby!

Probably made of radioactive metal thats cheaper to get rid of being sold at that price but whatever. As much as I like having 10 fingers, 11 would be cool.

Not to derail this thread too much, but how long have you had them and has the red started to fade at all?

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
ya but it melts at 2075 F clearly thats the bigger concern
Whose turbo is operating above 1500*F ?

Brass melts at 1800*
Aluminum alloy at 1900*
Cast Iron at 2100*

Really your concern would be melting fiberglass?

Turbo was engineered for 1796*F
I wouldn't expect to see that temperature, the car would probably EPC and dump fuel and boost

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Whose turbo is operating above 1500*F ?

Brass melts at 1800*
Aluminum alloy at 1900*
Cast Iron at 2100*

Really your concern would be melting fiberglass?

Turbo was engineered for 1796*F
I wouldn't expect to see that temperature, the car would probably EPC and dump fuel and boost

lol i was kidding i thought that was clear

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Is the 12 dollarnone legit? Lol

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Not to derail this thread too much, but how long have you had them and has the red started to fade at all?
2 years and not at all.

Is the 12 dollarnone legit? Lol

The way it works is often like this: company farms their product to be manufactured by a Chinese 3rd party. Company provides 750 genuine "Disney" hologram labels or whatever motorsports labels, and enough material for 750 good ones plus oh, 250 bad ones. Chinese company makes 0 that don't pass qc, but "all 250 failures that we were allotted for happened" they produce "forged motorsports" on the same line, using the same material on the same machines with the same employees.

That's not always what happens, but that is what sometimes happens. Other times, if the company is sent materials that don't pass the qc, they'll make a separate knockoff run using the lower spec stuff. It's a crapshoot.

The $700 Eyeess thirty eight could be a ok. Or... not.
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
lol i was kidding i thought that was clear
Yes I forgot to read your sarcasm in the font [emoji846]