GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NQBBK on Golf R?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I’ve run AMP with stock pads and track pads, and heat dissipation is indeed an issue. I never ran out of brakes with the track pads, but got enough heat to get my brakes smoking and raise my tire pressure to 55 psi. No way would I consider a setup with smaller rotors.
Did you also run with brake ducts?

Check out the thread I posted a bit ago if you haven't :cool:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41323

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
No, but I’ll certainly look into it. The R is only my “backup” track car, so I’m not looking to go with a BBK on it, but that seems like an easy mod.

This was from my last visit to AMP. I can’t take my M3 due to noise restrictions.

https://youtu.be/Fun5fMw5ujk

There are a few things you can do to manage heat in the stock system. LCA-mounted air deflectors from either the 8J TTRS or 8V RS3 are one. Another are ti pad shims from a Russian guy: Yperion. I think my Ferodo pads were disintegrating from all the heat in the system, so a more heat tolerant pad like a Pagid yellow should last longer. Going with a rotor with more venting would likely help as well. Stoptech premium rotors are identical to the OEM rotors so they are a pointless switch. Girodisc rotors would probably be worth looking into, but only if they offer a larger volume between the friction surfaces for venting. They're not cheap though.

My advanced student at the April Spring Mountain school, a very late-braker, was running Pagid RSL29 pads, ti shims, high temp fluid, and some sort of air deflectors on his stage 2 car and his brakes were solid through the weekend. Spring Mountain is not particularly hard on brakes.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone! I guess i will just invest in set of track dedicated pads and rotors, and asses further after the track day.