GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Turbo Blankets Worth the Time and $?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've been reading about turbo blankets lately. I run a stage 2 ECU tune, stock GTI turbo (IS20), and live in a hot climate. I would like to know if such a blanket is worth the money and the hassle of installing it.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Guess I'm gonna find out.
Las Vegas.

Yes I saw Forge is $55-65 but you only get one install per turbo. They mold to it after they heat up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Install is easy. Ran one on my St3 WRX. Does wonders for heat in the bay

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Could it make the turbo too hot? Yes I know it’s water/oil cooled, but still.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Could it make the turbo too hot? Yes I know it’s water/oil cooled, but still.

The thing is this: the turbo is engineered to push heat out the exhaust. Heatsoaking the engine bay is arguably harder on the turbo, allowing the heat to enter the engine again and reenter the hotside of the turbo eventually.

Hot side stays a little hotter (which is where they're engineered to take heat) cold side stays lot colder. Engine bay stays cooler. Timing improves. IATs improve. Turbo's ability to turn air into power improves.

Even if it's only a slight benefit, less than a hundred bucks, it's definitely worth a go.

That said, don't get oil on it, otherwise you're making a lantern wick. Don't turn the car off routinely immediately after a balls out run, either (even though the coolant system still runs through the turbo, I think you're probably still better to not do things to aggravate that).

At 13 bucks, if you can do the install, it's almost stupid not to try it. That's crazy cheap. That's definitely on the list of mods over the winter.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This might satisfy some folks curiosities:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1DKgBxqE0JEME5wQ1pIc1N5dU0/edit?pli=1

TL;DR: Increases exhaust temp, reduces spool time, negligible increases in oil temps at the turbo.

This was a test done on a big ass diesel engine, with a lean to determine the blankets value for EGR and aftertreatment method efficiencies (which are helped by higher EGTs) as well, but it's still valid.

Also this: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7452545-Mxrider9239-Mk7-Golf-R-Build/page3

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
$100 to the person who proves that it improves spool up or lowers IATs on the GTI.

Stipulations: Proof IS NOT "I installed the blanket and saw my IATs drop", nor is it "my turbo spools faster now, I know my car and I can tell if there is a change, it's faster now." Proof IS multiple data logs taken before and after the blanket install under the same conditions where a distinct, consistent, change is observed in the data.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
$100 to the person who proves that it improves spool up or lowers IATs on the GTI.

Stipulations: Proof IS NOT "I installed the blanket and saw my IATs drop", nor is it "my turbo spools faster now, I know my car and I can tell if there is a change, it's faster now." Proof IS multiple data logs taken before and after the blanket install under the same conditions where a distinct, consistent, change is observed in the data.
I drive around with my JB4 connected and IAT on display. My IATs definitely climbed slower when coming to a stop. IATs returned to normal temps faster because they didn't get as hot as they usually did. No testing, just my eyes. I definitely don't believe there is noticable spool. The under hood temps are for sure cooler with the blanket on.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

You really need to chill. Like your IATs would be with a turbo blanket installed!

Did you look at the link I posted from UoT Austin? That should have enough data to keep you happy for a bit, even though it's not in a GTI.