GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road noise which is puzzling!

Jc8887

Hello All!

So, reaching out to you all to see if someone can help with this....

Within the last month, I've found that i get excessive levels of road noise in my GTD. It's at its loudest between 15-20mph when I'm coasting and not under power; it's like a normal tyre rumble but just magnified!; as soon as I go above 20mph however it seems to fade which has now left me wondering what on earth it is!! Even coasting above 20mph seems fine...

Just to clarify;

I've checked my tires at the rear (where this seems to resonate from). one tyre has been studded with what seems to be a nail however this is in the tread and not caused any deflation.

I previously had my car serviced and I recall them saying I had serrated a tyre (which I couldn't understand how nor spot myself!...maybe I'm being blind).

I'm hoping it's not wheel bearing related ....Hoping not as it's not the same kind of noise and not constant at high speed (i've been in another car which HAS had bearing failure)..

Anybody experienced this or have any ideas?

Cheers All!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello All!

So, reaching out to you all to see if someone can help with this....

Within the last month, I've found that i get excessive levels of road noise in my GTD. It's at its loudest between 15-20mph when I'm coasting and not under power; it's like a normal tyre rumble but just magnified!; as soon as I go above 20mph however it seems to fade which has now left me wondering what on earth it is!! Even coasting above 20mph seems fine...

Just to clarify;

I've checked my tires at the rear (where this seems to resonate from). one tyre has been studded with what seems to be a nail however this is in the tread and not caused any deflation.

I previously had my car serviced and I recall them saying I had serrated a tyre (which I couldn't understand how nor spot myself!...maybe I'm being blind).

I'm hoping it's not wheel bearing related ....Hoping not as it's not the same kind of noise and not constant at high speed (i've been in another car which HAS had bearing failure)..

Anybody experienced this or have any ideas?

Cheers All!

What did they mean by a serrated tire. An edge that's worn unevenly?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
from memory, I think so....I didn't even give it that much thought at the time

If the tires are worn unevenly you will get noise from that. Go take a look and see if you have a choppy wear pattern.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
What did they mean by a serrated tire. An edge that's worn unevenly?

from memory, I think so....I didn't even give it that much thought at the time

If the tires are worn unevenly you will get noise from that. Go take a look and see if you have a choppy wear pattern.

You can often feel it by lightly running the palm of your hand over the tyres in both directions, one direction it will catch on the leading edges of the tread blocks.

I'd try swapping wheels front to back & vice versa. If the sound now comes from the front of the car it is those tyres that are making the noise.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yes, this is probably from a ‘serrated’ tyre, AKA saw toothing, when around 60-70% worn the tyres on the rear will wear/feather on the inner edge, VW’s are renowned for it! it’s caused by the chamber of the rear wheels and is most prominent on tyres with larger broken block tread patterns in that area, this is one of the reasons why tyre rotation is advised every few thousand miles, as mentioned above running your hand around the inner shoulder of the tyre will allow you to feel the wear, as the term suggests it’s rather like a saw tooth in the respect that there will be more resistance in one direction as apposed to the other, mk6’s were terrible for it, the amount of saw toothing you get will depend on tyre choice/tread pattern!

Jc8887

Couple of?

Does the frequency increase with speed?
The nail is still in your tire?

Mud

Its at it's loudest up to 20mph....If I even lift and slow from 70mph for example; i don't hear any problems at all. It'll become apparent between 15-20.

Yeah, still embedded but obviously not severe enough to cause it to deflate.

Jc8887

You can often feel it by lightly running the palm of your hand over the tyres in both directions, one direction it will catch on the leading edges of the tread blocks.

I'd try swapping wheels front to back & vice versa. If the sound now comes from the front of the car it is those tyres that are making the noise.

Very interesting suggestion...might try that and see what happens

Jc8887

Yes, this is probably from a ‘serrated’ tyre, AKA saw toothing, when around 60-70% worn the tyres on the rear will wear/feather on the inner edge, VW’s are renowned for it! it’s caused by the chamber of the rear wheels and is most prominent on tyres with larger broken block tread patterns in that area, this is one of the reasons why tyre rotation is advised every few thousand miles, as mentioned above running your hand around the inner shoulder of the tyre will allow you to feel the wear, as the term suggests it’s rather like a saw tooth in the respect that there will be more resistance in one direction as apposed to the other, mk6’s were terrible for it, the amount of saw toothing you get will depend on tyre choice/tread pattern!

Very interesting. I'll switch the tires around to see if this improves things. Last time the tyre were changed, i remember seeing quite uneven wear (which was very surprising). Seems as though Bridgestones are made of chewing gum! I've been worried that it's brake pad or even bearing related but will try switching them around first.

Thanks all!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
simple first...remove nail/plug. noise is still there at other times just drowned out by other road noises (and you'll get a nail out of your tire). rotating tires is good suggestion but 2 birds with one stone if you fix tire when rotating.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Very interesting. I'll switch the tires around to see if this improves things. Last time the tyre were changed, i remember seeing quite uneven wear (which was very surprising). Seems as though Bridgestones are made of chewing gum! I've been worried that it's brake pad or even bearing related but will try switching them around first.

Thanks all!

After you rotate the tires if the noise is gone I would get an alignment.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Tyre noise is dreadful when a tyre is even partially worn, sounds like wheel bearings are on the way out but they are not. It is just the nature of the beast with these Golfs.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Tyre noise is dreadful when a tyre is even partially worn, sounds like wheel bearings are on the way out but they are not. It is just the nature of the beast with these Golfs.

I agree, I had similar on my car (rear tyres on from new) loads of meat on them, but there was a hum like the wheel bearing but milder, two new rear tyres and the car is very quiet now.