GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Ravi,

Did you do this fusion canbus connection between ACC (J428) and Camera (J242)? I read it is required to have full feature of lane assist and TJA. Even not connecting between the two may not get LA working. If you do connect, do we need twisted pair cables? Thank you

I dont know what "fusion canbus" technically means. , but yes the camera and acc is connected together using a canbus. I just used 2 yellow/brown 18 guage automotive wires twisted it together and ran it from camera to the radar on the front. the harness did not have this, so had to include it.

2egolf

Thanks for posting this. I am in exactly same boat and would like to try this mod. I have a few questions. I would appreciate your help!

1. I read that buying a camera (3q0) from Aliexpress is a no-no because it comes new without any parameters. Is that true? If so, I would need to get a used camera from eBay or something, right?

2. Does anyone have an STL file for mounting 3q0 lens on the mirror? I think Reaper had shared an STL file but that was for 5q0?

3. bsalih planned on using this mirror + cover (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998091231.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.14bb3c00PxHNay&mp=1). How would this fit in the original windshield since there is no mounting bracket on the windshield?

bsalih, did you already finish your mod? If so, do you mind sharing the details? I have the exact same car as yours.

Thanks again.

Hi guys,

I just recently got an e-Golf SE (US model) with driver assist package (it is ACC only) and I saw your retrofit work. It is very impressive. I am also on board with retrofitting lane assist camera without replacing the windshield. I will definitely appreciate all the help while doing this.

Here is what I have. I have ACC, blind spots and rain sensor. The windshield I have has electric wiring sandwiched between glasses. So this is a good thing for the camera I guess, but I hate the distortions for the view. I have the manual dimming mirror which I would like to upgrade also. I was thinking of getting the one with homelink buttons but price is little higher and I do not need homelink at the moment. Any link to a good deal is appreciated. Probably, I will get a regular auto-dimming without homelink buttons.

Below is the link to a mirror which also comes with lane assist camera cover. This way I can hide the brains of the camera inside the cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...6.0&pvid=782fb6d8-1006-4998-884c-cb6012f64b7c

I purchased a 3q0 camera already.

Reaper, I would like to do your way of installing the camera behind the mirror. I am thinking of doing the bracket out of metal plates rather than 3D plastic prints. This way I hopefully won't have any concerns about hot weather melting/warping the plastic. I will probably share what I have when it is working condition.

gc9n,
I see that I need to physically connect 3q0 camera with ACC based on your experience. Can you share the steps and schematics of these connections. What harness do you recommend? I see you guys have already mentioned that I need to get a pair of can bus cables for physical connection since any harness they sell does not come with these cables.

Also,
Pio's DIY links (the polish website) is not accessible and I cannot see his DIY. I would appreciate if you guys can share a link to what he had done. Also additional info is appreciated.

I am very excited to do this since I was in between getting SE and SEL model (SEL model comes with lane assist camera and other features that I do not have any interest, but costs $6K extra) and lane assist was the only feature that I wanted on my car that is missing and couldn't see a reason to pay additional $6K just for that feature.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for posting this. I am in exactly same boat and would like to try this mod. I have a few questions. I would appreciate your help!

1. I read that buying a camera (3q0) from Aliexpress is a no-no because it comes new without any parameters. Is that true? If so, I would need to get a used camera from eBay or something, right?

2. Does anyone have an STL file for mounting 3q0 lens on the mirror? I think Reaper had shared an STL file but that was for 5q0?

3. bsalih planned on using this mirror + cover (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998091231.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.14bb3c00PxHNay&mp=1). How would this fit in the original windshield since there is no mounting bracket on the windshield?

bsalih, did you already finish your mod? If so, do you mind sharing the details? I have the exact same car as yours.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the group.

1. That is not necessarily true. I heard from ravi that he also bought one from alibaba/aliexpress and he was able to make it work with plug in and calibrations done. I think he had a region issue that traffic sign was misreading the us signs as european/chinese traffic signs. It might need coding but not parameter flashing. I have bought 3q0 with G variant. I havent tested yet since I am waiting on the gateway cables.

3. I was thinking to attach the camera module board to the cover instead of the windshield. You can 3M stick it to either windshield or to the cover. In addition to 20cm extension cable I also bought a 40cm one to test if long cable will work even though many people said it wont work. If 40cm works then i can put it inside the ceiling, so no need of larger cover and cleaner look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
I spoke to my coder, he told me can help me code my lane assist camera without using calibration board. I shall wait next few weeks after i change my windshield.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I spoke to my coder, he told me can help me code my lane assist camera without using calibration board. I shall wait next few weeks after i change my windshield.

Its very interesting and scary. If it was me, i would not take this route of not calibrating the camera or using some default/random calibration values. And trust it to work. Why ?

1. Because this is a SAFETY DEVICE., which takes over the steering in an
emergency.
2. The values of the 4 wheel heights, center point and the values the camera reads from the calibration board is for your vehicle and has to be precise to few millimeters. So it can make precise turns and adjustments.

If your coding guy is unable to do this, please have him work on other VCDS coding and have your vehicle calibrated professionally or do it yourself like i did.

Its for your safety my friend :)

2egolf

Thanks for the info. I just purchased a VAS 5054A with Oki chip. Do you have a link to the camera module you bought?

I also meant to thank Reaper for starting this thread, providing valuable information, and guiding others through this modding journey, and to everyone involved for their discussions. This would be my first car mod, and I am learning a bunch from everyone. Thanks!!!

Welcome to the group.

1. That is not necessarily true. I heard from ravi that he also bought one from alibaba/aliexpress and he was able to make it work with plug in and calibrations done. I think he had a region issue that traffic sign was misreading the us signs as european/chinese traffic signs. It might need coding but not parameter flashing. I have bought 3q0 with G variant. I havent tested yet since I am waiting on the gateway cables.

3. I was thinking to attach the camera module board to the cover instead of the windshield. You can 3M stick it to either windshield or to the cover. In addition to 20cm extension cable I also bought a 40cm one to test if long cable will work even though many people said it wont work. If 40cm works then i can put it inside the ceiling, so no need of larger cover and cleaner look.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info. I just purchased a VAS 5054A with Oki chip. Do you have a link to the camera module you bought?

I also meant to thank Reaper for starting this thread, providing valuable information, and guiding others through this modding journey, and to everyone involved for their discussions. This would be my first car mod, and I am learning a bunch from everyone. Thanks!!!

Below is the one I have got.

US $56.06 | Control Unit Front Camera Fit For GOLF 7 MK 7 3Q0 980 654 G 3q0980654 G

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NTyKTOBO

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Today I was checking the firewall outlet from cabin to engine bay but I couldnt anything obvious. Maybe e-golfs are different? Photos are not great, but I tried everwhere, nothing looks like rubber port. Do we need to take the battery out?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Any way to update the 3Q0 camera using VCP Pro software to enable - Pedestrian Warning, Traffic/Road Sign recognition (for North Americas) and Traffic Jam Assist feature ?

If someone has done this, please share the details on this ? I am familiar with VCDS/ODIS but never tried the firmware updates using VCP Cable/software.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Any way to update the 3Q0 camera using VCP Pro software to enable - Pedestrian Warning, Traffic/Road Sign recognition (for North Americas) and Traffic Jam Assist feature ?

If someone has done this, please share the details on this ? I am familiar with VCDS/ODIS but never tried the firmware updates using VCP Cable/software.

I have learnt that you can do flashing and parameter update using odis engineering. Those features you mentioned must come with the paremeter file you are installing as far as I understand.

If you have original VCP, then you can access to those parameter files from VCP.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

VCP Is the tool for you then, usually cameras come with the newest software( at least in my case, i couldnt find a newer version for all the stuff i retrofitted)

If you have Original VCP it will be so easy to do it.

If not, you will need to buy another 3Q0 camera with Pedesteian warning.

Try asking sellers on ebay if the camera they are selling has that feature.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys!
Finally some real progress for me!

All the parts have arrived now, so yesterday I tackled running the cable from the ACC radar through to the tiul point. That was more difficult than it should have been tbh. For whatever reason the foam and access to the rubber grommet through the firewall was almost inaccessible for me. The foam in my car looked different to the photos online and was much tougher with a strong back layer. Through some trial and error, I was able to get a piece of wire from the engine bay into the cabin through the grommet and use that to fish the cable back through. I run the canbus pair through some thin plastic piping and tied it down around the edge of the engine bay. Then access to the radar, I managed by removing the part of the grill with the VW badge on, then could reach down between the radiator and bumper to get to the 8 pin connector. I then crimped and connected the new canbus pair into pins 5 and 6.

Today I continued and put the main wiring loom in, from the camera point, down to the tiul, taping the additional canbus pair to that as I went. This wasn't too bad, as I've done this cable route before for a dashcam, just have to be careful and make sure you go behind the airbags etc. I connected the ground above the reading lights and left the connector for the camera and heater tucked up in there for now.

All was going well until I tried to connect the extended canbus lines at the tiul point. The crimps on the cable aren't the correct ones. It has the special loop through kind of connector on it, I guess the idea being I take the current extended canbus lines out and put them into this connector, then the loop cables into the tiul. Leaving everything connector and removable. However once I had taken the pins out of the tiul, I noticed they are wrong for the supplied connector, so I can't do it this way now.

So can anyone recommend a nice small tap style connector or share how they tapped the canbus lines? (I'd like to do neatly and ideally able to disconnect them). I have various crimps and cable taps, but nothing suitable for thin cable like these really.

I'm going to book in the windscreen replacement this week and then I'm good to go :)

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
So, time for another update.

I purchased some better t-tap connectors to tap into the extended canbus and finished the connections tonight, adding power etc. I quickly plugged the camera in (hanging loose) to check it showed up in obd11 as a module - which it did :D I had plenty of databus errors, but in other modules too, that will be because I had the battery disconnected whilst I was finishing off the wiring.

Tomorrow I will be getting my windscreen replaced and then I can mount it on the windscreen, ready for calibration. I haven't coded everything either yet (but I've taken a note of the list of adaptations that Reaper posted earlier in this thread).

The only issue I have is that I have a new laptop since I set ODIS up a few months ago and ODIS isn't working properly. I installed a Windows 7 VM in virtualbox and passed the USB through, it shows in device manager fine, but when I open ODIS I can't pull any data from the car. I checked in the VAS driver tool and it shows as USB connected, but then says 'device not accessible' if I try to open the settings. Seems I have a passthrough issue, or maybe its x64 windows causing the problem?