GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Blind Spot Assist / Side Assist

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

So I'm currently looking at retrofitting side assist/blind spot assist to my car.
I've located the sensors (and brackets) and wiring in an Aliexpress kit as well as the mirror glass (from another seller as I need RHD glass).

I understand that I will need to remove my rear bumper to mount the sensors, run the cable harness through to the front of the car and then swap the mirror glass, which I believe will require removing the door cards to cable as well. And finally coding.

I have an overview of the install, but can't seem to find more specific details. For example, I'm guessing the harness will require tapping into the extended canbus and of course power, but I can't find more details on this.

Does anyone have any more info, links to guides or even better have fitted this themselves or know someone that has?

Thanks

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Hi,

So I'm currently looking at retrofitting side assist/blind spot assist to my car.
I've located the sensors (and brackets) and wiring in an Aliexpress kit as well as the mirror glass (from another seller as I need RHD glass).

I understand that I will need to remove my rear bumper to mount the sensors, run the cable harness through to the front of the car and then swap the mirror glass, which I believe will require removing the door cards to cable as well. And finally coding.

I have an overview of the install, but can't seem to find more specific details. For example, I'm guessing the harness will require tapping into the extended canbus and of course power, but I can't find more details on this.

Does anyone have any more info, links to guides or even better have fitted this themselves or know someone that has?

Thanks

Hi VW AC,

Checkout this link - https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...ds-VW-Golf-MKVII&p=71716&viewfull=1#post71716

it talks about the steps for coding.

I have Blind Spot Monitor factory installed on my car., i can get you the default coding and wiring information if you need.

Cheers,
Ravi.

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
I had both radars installed and brought wiring into car cabin. Will continue wiring to gateway, power supply and both doors tomorrow onwards. Like Ravi said, I am also thinking of installing LED within car itself which probably makes more sense in term of functionality and ease of installation. I do not know coding but will have someone to do it remotely. Will share the steps once all are done and worked.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi VW AC,

Checkout this link - https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...ds-VW-Golf-MKVII&p=71716&viewfull=1#post71716

it talks about the steps for coding.

I have Blind Spot Monitor factory installed on my car., i can get you the default coding and wiring information if you need.

Cheers,
Ravi.

Hey Ravi!

Thanks for the link, very useful :)

And thanks for the offer to assist with coding etc. Do you have access to a wiring diagram then of what needs connecting?

I'm looking at an Alixpress kit, the only thing that has made me pause is the ABS controller. I don't have the required one (mine starts 5Q0, but I thought I might me ok as I had park assist from factory, but apparently its not one of the few compatible 5Q0 units). I now need to look at getting this replaced too if I am to continue with the retrofit.

My only other question - do the rear sensors need any kind of calibration? As thats always the issue with buying these things on Aliexpress, as they aren't used, they aren't calibrated.

I also like the LED mod too ;) I will consider that, shame the door cards still have to come off to wire it though, otherwise I'd pop some LEDs in the pillar instead!

I had both radars installed and brought wiring into car cabin. Will continue wiring to gateway, power supply and both doors tomorrow onwards. Like Ravi said, I am also thinking of installing LED within car itself which probably makes more sense in term of functionality and ease of installation. I do not know coding but will have someone to do it remotely. Will share the steps once all are done and worked.

Nice! It's good to see another retrofit :)

Can I ask where you bought the stuff from, was it bought used or from aliexpress? And out of interest do you already have a compatible ABS controller?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If you don't already have mirror assemblies that support BSM (which you don't otherwise no need to retrofit), running the LED wires to each mirror will be a major PITA, especially to do it right. The factory harness for each mirror is not easy to retrofit with additional wires. Second, you will have to correctly pin the door harnesses. I don't know if everything needed for this is included with the kit harness or not.

Overall, not a trivial job at all.

Also, you have to make sure your gateway is supported-- low line gateways will need to get upgraded to mid-level at a minimum to work with BSM. Do you have a scan tool like VCDS or OBDeleven? Either will tell you which level your gateway is.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
If you don't already have mirror assemblies that support BSM (which you don't otherwise no need to retrofit), running the LED wires to each mirror will be a major PITA, especially to do it right. The factory harness for each mirror is not easy to retrofit with additional wires. Second, you will have to correctly pin the door harnesses. I don't know if everything needed for this is included with the kit harness or not.

Overall, not a trivial job at all.

Also, you have to make sure your gateway is supported-- low line gateways will need to get upgraded to mid-level at a minimum to work with BSM. Do you have a scan tool like VCDS or OBDeleven? Either will tell you which level your gateway is.

Hmm... My fear has always been the mirror/door wiring, that's why I disregarded this retrofit once before. Mounting the sensors and cabling to the TIUL point area, I don't mind, but the mirrors have been a concern.
The ABS controller/pump is also an issue, as the cost may be too much. I was really hoping for this to be compatible.

I have OBDeleven and ODIS :)
I have a High gateway already fitted from factory. I was lucky that my car is already well kit, with Park assist, ACC, heated seats, rear cam, MIB pro (now a MIB2 pro) and many more. The 2 main things missing were lane assist and blind spot assist. Both relatively difficult to retrofit...

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
Lane Assist is a piece of cake if you replace the windshield, but it's mandatory calibration at the dealer / glass center.

Blind Spot Assist is another piece of cake if you don't do the mirrors, but simple LEDs elsewhere, as already suggested. better to buy the radars used, because new they would not be parameterized. calibration does not apply to these units, they will self calibrate once you drive around a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Attached is the wiring diagram for the BSM.

Attachments

• BSM_Wiring_2.jpg
    BSM_Wiring_2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 3,267
  • BSM_Wiring_CANBUS.jpg
    BSM_Wiring_CANBUS.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,683

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
It took me an 2 hours to dismantle and run 1 new pair of wire through wing mirror assembly into door panel. Broke one holder (not major concern now) and need to adjust gasket that sit between door and mirror assembly.

Will need to do TTVL to link up TTIVL which will be a challenge without removing speaker, breaking the rivet holding it. Will find a way to do it without breaking it but still have to run through grommet for water tightness.

Circuitry for retrofit is easy but all panels and assemblies are tough to remove. Since now i got the left mirror done up, I feel good seeing it in the right position. It will take another half day to finish off everything. Last, to run new wiring through factory harness tubing or wraps is almost impossible! Hope nothing leaks.

Hmm... My fear has always been the mirror/door wiring, that's why I disregarded this retrofit once before. Mounting the sensors and cabling to the TIUL point area, I don't mind, but the mirrors have been a concern.
The ABS controller/pump is also an issue, as the cost may be too much. I was really hoping for this to be compatible.

I have OBDeleven and ODIS :)
I have a High gateway already fitted from factory. I was lucky that my car is already well kit, with Park assist, ACC, heated seats, rear cam, MIB pro (now a MIB2 pro) and many more. The 2 main things missing were lane assist and blind spot assist. Both relatively difficult to retrofit...

Last edited:

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, After long meddling with the car, finally retrofitted and got it "working". BUT.... there is always a but for me in the journey.

Firstly, mine is RHD. Bought the parts from LHD dealer and coded by their guys via 5054.
Finally, found out something weird today with RCTA.

Okay, let's start. Saw car approaching from rear LEFT but headunit showing rear RIGHT warning and vice-versa for sometimes with many cars approaching on either direction but always showing the opposite warning indicator on HU.

I should have suspected it earlier when mirror showing this error but thinking I probably wired wrongly so I swapped the pair of wiring.

Earlier, when I finished park assist, i experienced same error, left, left center showing right and right centre indicator on HU. Still, I thought wired wrongly, i swapped it too.

But this radar, i can't swap because bracket are fixed to pre-fixed bolt etc. Wiring socket to radar cannot be wrong as power supply to correct pin to make it working.

So conclusion is, does anyone know, could coding be unique to LHD and RHD? Or I need hardware change for RHD if there is in first place? Mine is golf 7.5 2018 model.
Can it be fixed with ODIS? haiz.... Thank you

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Guys, After long meddling with the car, finally retrofitted and got it "working". BUT.... there is always a but for me in the journey.

Firstly, mine is RHD. Bought the parts from LHD dealer and coded by their guys via 5054.
Finally, found out something weird today with RCTA.

Okay, let's start. Saw car approaching from rear LEFT but headunit showing rear RIGHT warning and vice-versa for sometimes with many cars approaching on either direction but always showing the opposite warning indicator on HU.

I should have suspected it earlier when mirror showing this error but thinking I probably wired wrongly so I swapped the pair of wiring.

Earlier, when I finished park assist, i experienced same error, left, left center showing right and right centre indicator on HU. Still, I thought wired wrongly, i swapped it too.

But this radar, i can't swap because bracket are fixed to pre-fixed bolt etc. Wiring socket to radar cannot be wrong as power supply to correct pin to make it working.

So conclusion is, does anyone know, could coding be unique to LHD and RHD? Or I need hardware change for RHD if there is in first place? Mine is golf 7.5 2018 model.
Can it be fixed with ODIS? haiz.... Thank you

I retrofitted BSM also few years ago and BSM works perfectly, but my car has the same issue with RTA, rear traffic assist, it indicates another vehicle is approaching from the opposite side than in reality, for example when another vehicle approaches from left side, RTA indicates right. I could never figure it out and have lived with it. RTA gives the audible warning so despite indicating wrong side, its still useful as I autocratically stomp the brakes when I hear the audible warning sound.

If anyone has any insight on how to correct this let me know as well.

I am in USA and my car is LHD

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Jonny,

So I am not alone. I had studied the wiring, signal to mirror LED K304/303 are correct because I did live measurement to confirm if J1086/1067 are detecting the correct side of approaching vehice for blindspot. My park pilot is also correct. Both initial wiring connection were wrong. The shop told me to change wiring side which I refused as J1086 and 1087 have pin 3 & 4 connected to extended can (1086) while output to mirror LED from 1087. If I swapped, i am put 12V connection to can gateway input pin 7 & 17 which I reckon it may just fry the gateway or worst, all extended can component such as ACC. This is an easy way to check wiring but they are not responsible to ask for it without looking at wiring diagram. I told them how do communicate to 686/685 module when wiring is wrong. I stand to be corrected.

So back to RTA, I am not sure what exactly had happened. May be coding. I am contemplating to change rear radar to new 686C/685C which will cost money of course. My current module is 686A/685A which i checked on ETKA, it is old hw version dated back to 2017. The C version can support traffic jam assist. Am I interpretating ETKA correctly?

I found one new pair with no parameter. Does anyone know what it means? The seller told me needs ODIS to dump to code in. Please advise.

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5
Hi. My name is Ricardo. I bought the kit by alliexpress. Please can you send me default coding for blind spot and lane traffic rear.

Thanks
Ricardo Soares

if possibile send me the whole codes by function Lane Change. Thanks so much.

Ricardo Soares