GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Track Day at VIR!!

one0

Car(s)
GTI S
So pumped I finally did it and stopped talking about it. I signed up for a day with Hooked On Driving and it was awesome. I learned so much about my car and how it really drives at speed.

I can't wait to do it again. I was dealing with the damn EPC light the whole time though. Turned out to be a blessing since it essentially detuned my car to make it safely slower for me to learn and not get overconfident into a wall. That happened to a CTS-V on out last session and it wasn't pretty.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So pumped I finally did it and stopped talking about it. I signed up for a day with Hooked On Driving and it was awesome. I learned so much about my car and how it really drives at speed.

I can't wait to do it again. I was dealing with the damn EPC light the whole time though. Turned out to be a blessing since it essentially detuned my car to make it safely slower for me to learn and not get overconfident into a wall. That happened to a CTS-V on out last session and it wasn't pretty.

Awesome!

Your car sounds scary from a mod list standpoint though, I’m glad you stayed safe and enjoyed it without major issues.

Brake, tire, and suspension upgrades should be high on the priority list to help wrestle all that power down.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
VIR is a great track. Glad that you had fun.

I agree with Jake on working on handling and brakes to wrangle all the HP.

one0

Car(s)
GTI S
Yeah it was definitely my weak point. The first lap, everything was golden. Starting the second lap braking into turn 1, I thought I was gonna shoot off the track!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
LSD would make a big difference too.

one0

Car(s)
GTI S
LSD would make a big difference too.
You're right! I just had my Wavetrac installed over the weekend, so I'm excited to see how it improves the car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You're right! I just had my Wavetrac installed over the weekend, so I'm excited to see how it improves the car.

If you still have xds active, then the LSD is going to significantly reduce you brake temps too.

Also, if you just upgraded to the front PP brake and have the stock rears, your loss of tossability may be due to a change in brake bias towards the front.

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
If you still have xds active, then the LSD is going to significantly reduce you brake temps too.

Also, if you just upgraded to the front PP brake and have the stock rears, your loss of tossability may be due to a change in brake bias towards the front.

Not in my experience - with Wavetrac, i ran with XDS active and roasted a set of pads in about 1/4 the time i expected.

I later upgraded to PP in front, and noted reduced tossability - but it isn't due to brake bias, it's due to the 10+ pound increase in unsprung weight in each front corner.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
surprised you survived using the red stuff pads :p, had total brake fail with mine. My red stuff pads were basically cooked/cracked after about 2 laps on my local track, coming down the straight, brake pedal all the way to the floor, i basically just held on for dear life :ROFLMAO: