First problem with my 18 GTI

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Went to turn on my car and no start.

‘No keyfob detected’

My spare key works

I swapped the battery and still doesnt work.

Called local vw and says keyfob is NOT covered under warranty.

Is this true? Anyone else have this issue and have a solution?

Out everything that can fail, my key goes first ?

Elwood

3-7-77
My dealer gives me free batteries. I would put a new battery in the fob that doesn't work, then get in the car with both fobs. If it still doesn't work, start the car with the spare fob. Let it run for a bit, then shut it off. Try the other fob. If it doesn't work, the dealer will have to help you.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Are you sure you changed the battery correctly.....(poles correct orientation)? Was the "new" battery purchased off amazon for a low price....and is really dead from sitting on a shelf for 5 years?

You should have gotten a "low key battery" msg for at least a few days to a week....did you or did it just die. You should (if you R T F M) be able to start the car by holding the key next to the steering column and pressing the start button....

The fact the hairless ape at the dealer didn't take 30 seconds of time to explain this to you....makes me want to kill a puppy and a kitten....

Last edited:

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
I never saw a boat battery light. It just stopped working today. I can try a new battery but I don’t think it will solve it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I never saw a boat battery light. It just stopped working today. I can try a new battery but I don’t think it will solve it

I don't think that it will work either since you swapped the one from your spare fob and you know it works. Hard to believe they don't cover the fob.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Something else is up....if you never got a warning from the car. You can try to do a capacitive discharge on the car and try the fob again with a known good battery.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
try upgrading to a 2032 battery (or is the 2025 the upgrade) mine was fussy about batteries recently...did you also try another fob and swapping batteries between them?

Mud

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Lol i put in a new 2025 battery and it worked. Surprised switching batteries between key fobs didnt work.

False alarm haha

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Judging by members posts on other VW forums (in particular, VWROC.com and golfgtiforum.co.uk), not all cars with keyless entry / keyless start have been displaying a warning when the key fob battery is getting low on power and needs changing. Seems to be the newer cars that don’t display the warning.

Really surprised if the key fob isn’t covered under warranty. In the UK, the terms and conditions in VW’s Warranty for New Cars exclude the key fob batteries but there’s no exclusion of the actual key fob itself.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Key fob did the same to me around 25k. It isn't covered by warranty, so VW had to order me a new one and reprogram it; I forgot how much it cost though. It was pricey that's all I remember, but when you own a VW everything is expensive!

cb1111

Key fob is covered, battery isn't.

Tell the dealer to show you where the fob isn't covered.

The fob is not a wear item and is a required part of operating the car.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Key fob is covered, battery isn't.

Tell the dealer to show you where the fob isn't covered.

The fob is not a wear item and is a required part of operating the car.

My thought too!

But it was the battery. I guess partially full batteries is not enough to power up these key fobs. You need a brand new one.