GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Backtrack2015

Drives: 2019 R 6MT
Question Question about unplugging the Soundaktor

I pulled the passenger-side windshield cowl and unplugged the two-wire connection to the soundaktor itself (car is a 7.5 R). This was much easier than unplugging the multi-wire connector below the soundaktor that is the target of most videos. I assume the multi-wire connector is to the amp/controller below the soundaktor and what I effectively did was kill the final connection to the "speaker" or "active-element" that vibrates the windshield.

Anyone see any real issue with this? Is there any reason for me to pull the multi-wire connector instead? Thank you.

Edit to add: I just found a thread on another forum where several people had done the same with no ill effects. I think it should be fine.

Last edited by Backtrack2015; 08-29-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: More info.
Backtrack2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
THEREALVRT

Drives: 2016 R
why not vagcom or obd 11 it off?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Backtrack2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALVRT View Post
why not vagcom or obd 11 it off?
The usual reason... I havenít yet purchased the required toys and this is really the only thing I would want to do at this point.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
veedubfreak

Drives: 2016 Golf R, might one day finish his 58 ragtop
Mine has been unplugged for 4 years and no issues.
veedubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
18Autobahn

Drives: 2019 R 6mt, 2018 GTI Autobahn
I think you unplugged the 'lock door' chime. The multi wire connector is to the soundaktor. If the car doesn't chirp at you on a double lock press (fob or door handle), you got the wrong connector.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
nomgaw

Drives: Golf MK7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Autobahn View Post
I think you unplugged the 'lock door' chime. The multi wire connector is to the soundaktor. If the car doesn't chirp at you on a double lock press (fob or door handle), you got the wrong connector.
I agree!
nomgaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
Backtrack2015

The car chirps when locked. Just the soundaktor “speaker” is dead.

Last edited by Backtrack2015; 09-01-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
olds350

Drives: 2019 golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtrack2015 View Post
I pulled the passenger-side windshield cowl and unplugged the two-wire connection to the soundaktor itself (car is a 7.5 R). This was much easier than unplugging the multi-wire connector below the soundaktor that is the target of most videos. I assume the multi-wire connector is to the amp/controller below the soundaktor and what I effectively did was kill the final connection to the "speaker" or "active-element" that vibrates the windshield.

Anyone see any real issue with this? Is there any reason for me to pull the multi-wire connector instead? Thank you.

Edit to add: I just found a thread on another forum where several people had done the same with no ill effects. I think it should be fine.

I'm sorry, but what? Vibrates the windshield? This is real? Can someone educate me on this engine sound and exactly what going on with the windsheild please? I know the soundakator pumps in fake exhaust noise. I ask because my dash cam has started to vibrate after setting the exhaust to "race". Why the hell would they vibrate the windshield? Can you post a pic of the plug you disconnected please?
olds350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Backtrack2015

It’s hot out there and I don’t want to pull it open just for a picture, sorry. Use google to search for “soundaktor removal” and watch the video posted by LastHumansGarage. He pulls the same plug I did. Hopefully that helps.

Edit to add: He pulls the whole speaker out eventually. I just unplugged it. He also removes the wiper arms and both sides of the cowl. I just removed the passenger side, which gave plenty of access without much effort. If it is vibrating in race mode only, that could be the soundaktor. Once removed, all the modes are quiet like eco mode except for the extra sound from the open exhaust valves in race mode.

Last edited by Backtrack2015; 09-03-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #10
Golfs everyday

Drives: 17 Golf-R
I like the sound of the car inside the cabin at 50% soundaktor output.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #11
Backtrack2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfs everyday View Post
I like the sound of the car inside the cabin at 50% soundaktor output.
I think Iím going to try that. The default is way too much noise for me. Running with it unplugged is probably a bit too little. Iíll probably hook it back up and go the OBD route to set the volume so it is subtle.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
I'm sorry, but what? Vibrates the windshield? This is real? Can someone educate me on this engine sound and exactly what going on with the windsheild please? I know the soundakator pumps in fake exhaust noise. I ask because my dash cam has started to vibrate after setting the exhaust to "race". Why the hell would they vibrate the windshield? Can you post a pic of the plug you disconnected please?
The Soundaktor is essentially a piezoelectric transducer that uses your windshield and/or cars body as a speaker to play the sound of your cars engine.
It's not pumping in fake exhaust noise.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
olds350

Drives: 2019 golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
The Soundaktor is essentially a piezoelectric transducer that uses your windshield and/or cars body as a speaker to play the sound of your cars engine.
It's not pumping in fake exhaust noise.

Appreciate that info. Looks like I'm going to unplug this thing. I can't see vibrating the front windshield as a good thing over time, just introduces added harmonic stress and weakens seals.
olds350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #14
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
Appreciate that info. Looks like I'm going to unplug this thing. I can't see vibrating the front windshield as a good thing over time, just introduces added harmonic stress and weakens seals.
You're welcome.

Tags
golf r, soundaktor, unplug