GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R at Road Atlanta

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Thanks Cliff, that's all I needed to hear. I will be servicing mine soon. Do you have a harness/bars or seats in your R? You may have noticed in the video that I keep tugging on my belt to keep myself in the chair! Appreciate it...

No. One of the things Griffin will be doing next week is machining a bit of the shoulder of the front seat belt bolts down to a 12mm diameter and then install the tails for the Schroth quickfit harnesses that I have. A guy over on vortex did that with his car recently, and this approach didn't occur to me when I tried to install these harnesses 4 years ago when the car was new. The Schroth tails fit over a 12mm bolt, but the front bolts have a 14mm unthreaded shoulder over which the seatbelt end slides. Griffin will remove enough of that to accommodate the tails while still allowing the bolts to be tightened all the way down. The rear bolts don't have this issue.

Attachments

• Golf Seatbelts-4260002-20150426.jpg
    Golf Seatbelts-4260002-20150426.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 395

FRDRICE

Nice. The one lap I timed when you didn't get any traffic was a around a 1:44 which is pretty good around there. What tires and suspension are you running?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
No. One of the things Griffin will be doing next week is machining a bit of the shoulder of the front seat belt bolts down to a 12mm diameter and then install the tails for the Schroth quickfit harnesses that I have. A guy over on vortex did that with his car recently, and this approach didn't occur to me when I tried to install these harnesses 4 years ago when the car was new. The Schroth tails fit over a 12mm bolt, but the front bolts have a 14mm unthreaded shoulder over which the seatbelt end slides. Griffin will remove enough of that to accommodate the tails while still allowing the bolts to be tightened all the way down. The rear bolts don't have this issue.

Hey Cliff,

Forgive me if I am off here or out of the loop or something, but the pic you posted with the desired machining at the smooth part near the head, why would you remove material there and not open the hole up where that bolt goes into? My concern is if you get in an accident and that smooth part (where material is already removed from the interior to accommodate the tripple square) the lack of remaining material will just shear the bolt off if the impact is bad enough. Your safety seems to be more at risk with machining the bolt? No?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Hey Cliff,

Forgive me if I am off here or out of the loop or something, but the pic you posted with the desired machining at the smooth part near the head, why would you remove material there and not open the hole up where that bolt goes into? My concern is if you get in an accident and that smooth part (where material is already removed from the interior to accommodate the tripple square) the lack of remaining material will just shear the bolt off if the impact is bad enough. Your safety seems to be more at risk with machining the bolt? No?

The Schroth tails will go inside the seatbelt, so we will reduce in diameter to 12mm a section approximately 4.5-5mm wide of the shoulder next to the threaded section. Since the threaded section is 12mm in diameter, as are the rear seat belt bolts, VW must have determined that 12mm of steel bolt is enough to anchor the seatbelts.

Navi

Autocross Champion

This is interesting. Schroth was telling me about this fitment issue with their harnesses and the MK7. I didn't know what they meant but now I understand from what you mentioned. I ended up getting my harness to fit a different way, but that looks like a good idea also. I went with ARP bolts.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I went with ARP bolts.

Can you expand on that? (not that I have time to react - the car is going in to Griffin on Monday)

And I didn't really respond to the OP's question as fully as it deserved. I am in the camp that says you either work with the factory safety systems, or you completely replace them. Schroth's quickfit products offer a nice integration with factory safety systems while adding improved driver restraint, and support for FHR devices that aren't Simpson Hybrid S devices if you opt for the quickfit pro harnesses.

Going with a harness bar and separate harness leaves all the factory safety equipment in place, but removes key sensor inputs the factory safety equipment would use to protect the driver in a crash. So the airbags and other safety equipment may deploy in a crash. Or maybe not. That doesn't strike me as a great approach.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Griffin is good for that race stuff.. harnesses/seats etc. I'm sure they'll come up with a good option. I'll have to take pics of my set up. I'm running a harness bar and I replaced that lower screw with a ARP 7/16-20 1 inch bolt to hold the lower bracket more solidly. Then I used an ARP 3/8-16 2.25 inch to bolt the harness bar support bar and lower oem seat belt to the bracket to retain use of oem seatbelt. I can actually use the oem seatbelt even when it is not mounted to the lower bracket, but it would be lacking the pivot point.

Easier to explain with pictures. I'll take some when I get a chance. Might be a bit though, bc I'm getting the bar powder coated.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Griffin is good for that race stuff.. harnesses/seats etc. I'm sure they'll come up with a good option. I'll have to take pics of my set up. I'm running a harness bar and I replaced that lower screw with a ARP 7/16-20 1 inch bolt to hold the lower bracket more solidly. Then I used an ARP 3/8-16 2.25 inch to bolt the harness bar support bar and lower oem seat belt to the bracket to retain use of oem seatbelt. I can actually use the oem seatbelt even when it is not mounted to the lower bracket, but it would be lacking the pivot point.

Easier to explain with pictures. I'll take some when I get a chance. Might be a bit though, bc I'm getting the bar powder coated.

No worries, I scanned your build thread and it looks like you're using Tyrolsport's harness bar. Love the seats (Griffin is a Recaro dealer and apparently offers discounts, but not this year...I'll be giving them more than 10 bills next week and that's enough damage for now).