GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R at Road Atlanta

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Nice work. Mind if I ask how you mounted your camera? and what camera are you using?

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Nice! I know it's important to keep your revs high while tracking and such, but how hard is that on the engine? Looks like people are keeping the revs north of 4000 - 5000 a lot. This motor can handle that just fine, right?

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! I know it's important to keep your revs high while tracking and such, but how hard is that on the engine? Looks like people are keeping the revs north of 4000 - 5000 a lot. This motor can handle that just fine, right?
I assume so. I monitor the oil temps and try not to bump against the red line and change the oil twice a year (regardless of mileage). The Golf engines have always been tough from my experience.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

I've got 50 HPDE days on my car and I periodically send a sample in to Blackstone with the last one done in February of this year. According to Blackstone the tests have not revealed any issues. I change my oil every 6 track days. The biggest impact seems to be the heat shearing the viscosity enhancers in the oil causing the high temp viscosity to drop from the original 40W to a value of bit over 30W by the time I change the oil.

edit: To the OP, looks like fun. That C7 was definitely in over their head, especially if that was an instructor group. I wonder if the Peachtree chapter is like my local chapter where they mix together the advanced, intermediate, and instructors into one run group? I avoid doing events with the local BMW chapter because traffic in that group is a hot mess.

Last edited:

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got 50 HPDE days on my car and I periodically send a sample in to Blackstone with the last one done in February of this year. According to Blackstone the tests have not revealed any issues. I change my oil every 6 track days. The biggest impact seems to be the heat shearing the viscosity enhancers in the oil causing the high temp viscosity to drop from the original 40W to a value of bit over 30W by the time I change the oil.

edit: To the OP, looks like fun. That C7 was definitely in over their head, especially if that was an instructor group. I wonder if the Peachtree chapter is like my local chapter where they mix together the advanced, intermediate, and instructors into one run group? I avoid doing events with the local BMW chapter because traffic in that group is a hot mess.
Appreciate the info on the oil analysis. I do have a burning question that I would like to get your thoughts on. My 2015 has only 19000 miles over 4 years. What are your thoughts on doing the DSG service early? Thank you...

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Appreciate the info on the oil analysis. I do have a burning question that I would like to get your thoughts on. My 2015 has only 19000 miles over 4 years. What are your thoughts on doing the DSG service early? Thank you...

Since I track my car so much, I accelerate all the fluid replacements to half the interval specified by VW. My DSG gets serviced every 2 years (and the bevel box will get a fluid service next week while the transmission is out of the car to install a Wavetrac diff).

GolfGTI2014

Passed Driver's Ed
Since I track my car so much, I accelerate all the fluid replacements to half the interval specified by VW. My DSG gets serviced every 2 years (and the bevel box will get a fluid service next week while the transmission is out of the car to install a Wavetrac diff).
Thanks Cliff, that's all I needed to hear. I will be servicing mine soon. Do you have a harness/bars or seats in your R? You may have noticed in the video that I keep tugging on my belt to keep myself in the chair! Appreciate it...