GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about unplugging the Soundaktor

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I pulled the passenger-side windshield cowl and unplugged the two-wire connection to the soundaktor itself (car is a 7.5 R). This was much easier than unplugging the multi-wire connector below the soundaktor that is the target of most videos. I assume the multi-wire connector is to the amp/controller below the soundaktor and what I effectively did was kill the final connection to the "speaker" or "active-element" that vibrates the windshield.

Anyone see any real issue with this? Is there any reason for me to pull the multi-wire connector instead? Thank you.

Edit to add: I just found a thread on another forum where several people had done the same with no ill effects. I think it should be fine.

Last edited:

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you unplugged the 'lock door' chime. The multi wire connector is to the soundaktor. If the car doesn't chirp at you on a double lock press (fob or door handle), you got the wrong connector.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
I pulled the passenger-side windshield cowl and unplugged the two-wire connection to the soundaktor itself (car is a 7.5 R). This was much easier than unplugging the multi-wire connector below the soundaktor that is the target of most videos. I assume the multi-wire connector is to the amp/controller below the soundaktor and what I effectively did was kill the final connection to the "speaker" or "active-element" that vibrates the windshield.

Anyone see any real issue with this? Is there any reason for me to pull the multi-wire connector instead? Thank you.

Edit to add: I just found a thread on another forum where several people had done the same with no ill effects. I think it should be fine.

I'm sorry, but what? Vibrates the windshield? This is real? Can someone educate me on this engine sound and exactly what going on with the windsheild please? I know the soundakator pumps in fake exhaust noise. I ask because my dash cam has started to vibrate after setting the exhaust to "race". Why the hell would they vibrate the windshield? Can you post a pic of the plug you disconnected please?

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s hot out there and I don’t want to pull it open just for a picture, sorry. Use google to search for “soundaktor removal” and watch the video posted by LastHumansGarage. He pulls the same plug I did. Hopefully that helps.

Edit to add: He pulls the whole speaker out eventually. I just unplugged it. He also removes the wiper arms and both sides of the cowl. I just removed the passenger side, which gave plenty of access without much effort. If it is vibrating in race mode only, that could be the soundaktor. Once removed, all the modes are quiet like eco mode except for the extra sound from the open exhaust valves in race mode.

Last edited:

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the sound of the car inside the cabin at 50% soundaktor output.

I think I’m going to try that. The default is way too much noise for me. Running with it unplugged is probably a bit too little. I’ll probably hook it back up and go the OBD route to set the volume so it is subtle.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm sorry, but what? Vibrates the windshield? This is real? Can someone educate me on this engine sound and exactly what going on with the windsheild please? I know the soundakator pumps in fake exhaust noise. I ask because my dash cam has started to vibrate after setting the exhaust to "race". Why the hell would they vibrate the windshield? Can you post a pic of the plug you disconnected please?

The Soundaktor is essentially a piezoelectric transducer that uses your windshield and/or cars body as a speaker to play the sound of your cars engine.
It's not pumping in fake exhaust noise.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
The Soundaktor is essentially a piezoelectric transducer that uses your windshield and/or cars body as a speaker to play the sound of your cars engine.
It's not pumping in fake exhaust noise.

Appreciate that info. Looks like I'm going to unplug this thing. I can't see vibrating the front windshield as a good thing over time, just introduces added harmonic stress and weakens seals.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Appreciate that info. Looks like I'm going to unplug this thing. I can't see vibrating the front windshield as a good thing over time, just introduces added harmonic stress and weakens seals.

You're welcome.