GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Methanol Nozzle placement for maximum cooling

Henrythelam

I am a newbie to w/m Injection, please forgive me if I am wrong.

I just want to cool down the IAT only, not considering remap at this moment. I am APR stage 2

What I have been told by the shop is that, for maximum cooling, the nozzle should be placed before the IC in order to give it longest time for cooling down the charged air.

I did not doubt his expertise and let the shop do the installation. The nozzle was placed as shown in the photo.

Nevertheless, after browsing the web I found that most of the tech install the nozzle at the throttle pipe, or near the exit of IC, with a smaller 250cc nozzle too.

The question is, is it worthy to make the effort to relocate the nozzle, change a smaller one too maybe, to the throttle pipe? (provided that I will buy a new throttle pipe with wm opening)

20190903_115738.jpg

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9750 發送

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
thats a really bad choice for the location, and the size of the injector is overkill.

I'm currently using a 504cc injector, installed at the outlet of my IE intercooler.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/content/20-where-to-locate-your-alcohol-water-injection-nozzle

"Pre-intercooler seems like a sensible nozzle location but, the thing to remember about this is: if the air entering the intercooler is pre-cooled, the ability of the intercooler is reduced because the temp difference is lesser. It is also possible for the fine water/alcohol mist to collect in the bottom of your intercooler core. We don't recommend this location either. The other problem is that there's a possibility that the hot air from the turbo might unnecessarily vaporize the water and take up some of the volume built up by the turbo that was supposed to be for the charge. Pre-intercooler does work for some track cars such as road racing that operate at a more constant higher RPM. For the daily driver, weekend racer, the pre-intercooler location should not be considered. "

Hoon

Autocross Champion
1000cc is too much for an IS38 car. You're likely beyond what the ECU can compensate for and running excessively rich at WOT, and if that's 50/50 that amount of water is probably costing you power.

Something like a 500cc at the outlet will be much better.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
After IC, before TB. Ideally at 6” or further from TB. Pick most convenient spot. Cooling only 250cc should be fine, but 500 would prob work fine too.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Only time I'd consider pre-intercooler is if it was pre-turbo as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I would relocate and definitely downsize nozzle, give your stated goal. A single 250/275 may be all you need which is reach zero timing retard and much lower IATs.

That 1000cc jet will be like a fire hose and will be way more than you need and you will end up with wm pooling in the bottom of your intercooler. All bad things and the wm is corrosive so you really don't want that.

My recommendation:

1. Buy a plug for that bung, no need to buy a new pipe.
2. Buy a new bung for the intercooler exit hose.
3. Buy a range of jets from 175 ish to about 350ish

When setting up your system, start with small nozzle, do a couple of 4th gear runs and log timing.

Your goal is to get zero retard throughout the pull but no more wm than it takes to get there. Too much and you will be lowering power "quench".

You move up jet sizes and make adjustments to the controller as the logs dictate until you get it dialed in. Also, I generally start out with a 50/50 mix but if you need to you can add more alky as yet another control point to reach your goal of zero timing retard.

So small jets will do a better job of atomizing which helps you achieve you goal of max evaporation so you get max cooling. If I had to go past 275 I would probably opt for two smaller nozzles rather than one large one because you only are interested in cooling.

Have fun WM when setup works like magic for those of us living in hot weather climates.

My experience makes me think that a single 275cc nozzle will probably be sufficient. I ran 2 of them when I was running a 100oct race file on my K04 setup which was around 340whp and temps in my area are often over 100F