GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is this 2018 GTI SE under priced?

Grey Ghost

Ready to race!
It’s just mislabeled. I bought mine from Carvana in Dec; it was listed as an S or SE but soon as I looked at the pics it was obviously an AB. 25k miles, $21,900, 2016 Autobahn w/ DCC. They mislabel trim levels often, grab it!!

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Well my current Golf is black and the paint is in terrible shape from the previous owner. Unless it's been thru some disasters in the 16 months it was owned I will probably be able to live with some flaws. I will definitely be reporting any undisclosed ones like deep scratches I can't buff out myself. This is also pretty much the only way I can get my payments where I want them to be unless I go older with little to no warranty left.

Yeah, have to expect some things with a used car. Between having the dealer inspection, warranty and living with it for a week, you’ll still have a better chance of spotting/addressing anything serious than the traditional way of buying cars. Hope it all checks out and you get to enjoy the car.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Yeah, have to expect some things with a used car. Between having the dealer inspection, warranty and living with it for a week, you’ll still have a better chance of spotting/addressing anything serious than the traditional way of buying cars. Hope it all checks out and you get to enjoy the car.

Thanks the GTI is basically my dream car of any that I'll likely ever be able to afford.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Yes it is meant to arrive Monday, I only wrote "may have bought" in my first post because I am really nervous and almost canceled at one point. Carvana is also paying way more for my trade than any local dealership would. I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often. I learned with my current Golf that low mileage on a used car isn't necessary a good thing.

I am pretty sure they are going for a big growth phase at the moment. They will likely be going through massive cash burn to build market share. Paying more for trades and selling for a bit less.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often.

That might not be hard. I bought mine last July, so I've had it 13.3 months, and I'm just short of 17K. I commute ~28 miles each way, and other than local errands, the car has made 2 trips totaling less than 500 miles. If the PO bought early in the model year, that car could be ~8 months older than mine. In 8 months, I'll have 28K.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Is that what I will learn from the diagnostic VW will be doing? I told them I want it scanned to make sure it wasn't tuned. They are charging me $95.

I'm not sure if this is possible. I thought the TD1 flag has to be grabbed by the homeland from an ECU dump, and the the dealer can't do that. It's usually done as part of a major warranty claim i.e. blown motor. I may be mistaken though. I'd ask specifically if they can tell you about TD1. Even if they can't though, $95 for a code scan is worthwhile, so that anything simple can be fixed before you pick up the car.

I'm one of the ones that bought a very low mileage mislabeled vehicle (marked as an SE). I chose to bring it to their attention so that the paperwork was correct. It was worth the risk.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Is that what I will learn from the diagnostic VW will be doing? I told them I want it scanned to make sure it wasn't tuned. They are charging me $95.

Yes for me anyway, if I drive 8K a year which would be my max unless I move far away from my work which I don't plan to so I'll have the full 4.5 years left.

Well my current Golf is black and the paint is in terrible shape from the previous owner. Unless it's been thru some disasters in the 16 months it was owned I will probably be able to live with some flaws. I will definitely be reporting any undisclosed ones like deep scratches I can't buff out myself. This is also pretty much the only way I can get my payments where I want them to be unless I go older with little to no warranty left.

PPI = pre purchase inspection. They go over the car like they would for a CPO and give you a list of issues.

Check for warranty flags. If the previous owner did something that voided all or part of the warranty, it’ll show up in VW’s system under the VIN. Might need to call VWoA directly if the dealer can’t say for sure.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'm not sure if this is possible. I thought the TD1 flag has to be grabbed by the homeland from an ECU dump, and the the dealer can't do that. It's usually done as part of a major warranty claim i.e. blown motor. I may be mistaken though. I'd ask specifically if they can tell you about TD1. Even if they can't though, $95 for a code scan is worthwhile, so that anything simple can be fixed before you pick up the car.

Hmm I specifically said the reason I wanted it scanned was to check for a tune that would void the warranty.

PPI = pre purchase inspection. They go over the car like they would for a CPO and give you a list of issues.

Check for warranty flags. If the previous owner did something that voided all or part of the warranty, it’ll show up in VW’s system under the VIN. Might need to call VWoA directly if the dealer can’t say for sure.

I gave them the VIN and they said it isn't flagged in their system. Would a PPI include a diagnostic scan and how much should I expect to pay for one?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Give your local dealer a call.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I just took delivery of my car this afternoon. It drives great, the interior is pretty much flawless, it has very light window tint which I did not realize and should make do until I feel like paying for a full retint. On the downside it has several fairly large scratches (superficial from what I can tell) and a small ding near a fender. The repair team emailed me before the delivery guy had even left and offered me $100. I think that is far too low for multiple issues that were not disclosed on their site. I am going to take some new pics of the problem areas tomorrow after I wash the car and hope I can convince them into giving me more. I am taking it to the VW dealer here Wed for them to run a scan and look for any obvious problem areas. Assuming I keep it I can't wait to ditch the stock wheels and tires for a lightweight setup.

Do you think I should trust whatever oil they put in there or change it right away? Also $100 says it has a full tank of 87 gas lol.

relive

Ready to race!
Do you think I should trust whatever oil they put in there or change it right away? Also $100 says it has a full tank of 87 gas lol.

CarFax shows that the last oil change was in February 2019 for the 20k service. Unless Carvana serviced the car, the 30k service is due anyway.

Unless premium is required for a car, it's always going to be delivered with a tank of 87. My dealer straight up told me that when I went to pick up my car. Put what you want in it after the first tank, but 87 is not going to hurt the car.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
CarFax shows that the last oil change was in February 2019 for the 20k service. Unless Carvana serviced the car, the 30k service is due anyway.

Unless premium is required for a car, it's always going to be delivered with a tank of 87. My dealer straight up told me that when I went to pick up my car. Put what you want in it after the first tank, but 87 is not going to hurt the car.

Carvana changes the oil for every car they sell (supposedly) but it doesn't show up on a CarFax. I have one of those stickers on the window with the date it was done but not what oil was used and I don't think they will let you know any of that sort of information. The 30K service is pretty inexpensive from what I remember with my Golf. Maybe I will get that done soon just to be on the safe side. I am curious to find out anything the VW scan will reveal of note.

Edit: I think I can probably buff out the scratches myself but do you need to be more careful than usual on Deep Black Pearl? My Golf was flat black.

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sounds like a great deal! Enjoy your new ride.

I kept an eye on Carvana when in the market the last few months and never saw anything that was interesting.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Sounds like a great deal! Enjoy your new ride.

I kept an eye on Carvana when in the market the last few months and never saw anything that was interesting.

Yeah as far as GTIs go they don't seem to have much selection and any good deals sell within hours, sometimes minutes of them being listed. I am curious to see what price they list my Golf at assuming they don't auction it off.