GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there something blipping the gas when the clutch grabs?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Just got my R last weekend and this is something I noticed a few days ago. Letting off the clutch, even in neutral (only sometimes?) the rpms will jump to just a little over 1k right about the time when it'd reach the grab point. Is there a way to turn this off? I feel like it's just getting in the way.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
This is normal behavior.

It blips the gas since if it doesn't take the sudden spinning mass added to the engine could stall the engine.

It does this in my car with a lighter single mass flywheel to a greater extent compared to stock.

VeloDub1

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 R, yep, mine does it too, normal.

I don't know of a way to code it off, but if you get the BMS clutch stop ($10)
The clutch won't go down far enough to activate the switch for that to function.
https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-short-throw-clutch-stop-2006-mini-cooper

I actually took one of the little rubber spacers off of the BMS stop so it would go down further and activate that function. My daughter is learning how to drive manual and thought that feature would help her get going in first.
I don't want her to stall my car ;)

Either way, the stop is a nice little simple upgrade for the price. A short throw shifter adapter is must in this car too, had one on my GTI as well ;-)

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
2019 R, yep, mine does it too, normal.

I don't know of a way to code it off, but if you get the BMS clutch stop ($10)
The clutch won't go down far enough to activate the switch for that to function.
https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-short-throw-clutch-stop-2006-mini-cooper

I actually took one of the little rubber spacers off of the BMS stop so it would go down further and activate that function. My daughter is learning how to drive manual and thought that feature would help her get going in first.

Either way, the stop is a nice little simple upgrade for the price. A short throw shifter adapter is must in this car too, had one on my GTI as well ;-)

That function happens regardless of the clutch stop... If the ECU sees a RPM drop when you let off of the clutch it will blip the RPMs up a tad.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My daughter is learning how to drive manual and thought that feature would help her get going in first.

It seems good for people that are learning, but for me I feel like it just gets in the way. I have to relearn how to take off smoothly in this thing.

It's not that bad...just not used to it. Turning it off would have been easy lol

Last edited:

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
If you have an early build 2018 (locked arm rest) there is coding that might change this effect. It's the starting vibration reduction. I had the setting and turned it off. It seemed to reduce the ECU throttle input during clutch operations. Later build 2018 and on, I think VW took that adaptation out. Lots of info if you search up starting vibration reduction.