GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is this 2018 GTI SE under priced?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I may have bought this GTI from Carvana. Despite the high mileage over such a short period of ownership it appears to be in good shape. If you view the details like the window sticker or interior pics it is obviously an SE not an S like in the title. Would this account for the low price or are they hiding something nasty? I only drive 6-8K miles a year so will get the 4 1/2 years left on the bumper to bumper warranty. I already made an appointment at my local dealer to have it checked during the 7 day return period for a tune or any error codes. To put the price into perspective my local dealer is charging about the same for a 2016 SE also with 29K miles. All of the other 2018 GTI SEs on Carvana are thousands more although they do have much lower mileage. Any ideas and what should I look out for?

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1252445

dsgvw

Ready to race!
I may have bought this GTI from Carvana. Despite the high mileage over such a short period of ownership it appears to be in good shape. If you view the details like the window sticker or interior pics it is obviously an SE not an S like in the title. Would this account for the low price or are they hiding something nasty? I only drive 6-8K miles a year so will get the 4 1/2 years left on the bumper to bumper warranty. I already made an appointment at my local dealer to have it checked during the 7 day return period for a tune or any error codes. To put the price into perspective my local dealer is charging about the same for a 2016 SE also with 29K miles. All of the other 2018 GTI SEs on Carvana are thousands more although they do have much lower mileage. Any ideas and what should I look out for?

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1252445

The window sticker is straight from the VIN and confirms SE. they probably just listed it incorrectly. Grab it before they figure that out. Can’t go wrong with their 7 day return policy, test it out, have it checked out and enjoy it. Probably just a legit steal - I’m a bit jealous!

relive

Ready to race!
It's clearly mislabeled, as it was concluded in your other thread. 2018 was the only year that cloth seats were an option on anything except for an S/Sport/Rabbit, so someone saw cloth seats and just assumed S.

Fair retail value on a 2018 S with 30k miles is $20,200, while an SE is $24,500, according to Edmunds. At $21,500, it's more than they paid for it, and it's more than fair value for an S, which they believe that it is.

Trim mistakes happen all the time at non-brand dealers. Someone else recently scored a leather 2018 SE with 1,500 miles for under $23k:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54180

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I was watching that one also. Great job if you grabbed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is meant to arrive Monday, I only wrote "may have bought" in my first post because I am really nervous and almost canceled at one point. Carvana is also paying way more for my trade than any local dealership would. I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often. I learned with my current Golf that low mileage on a used car isn't necessary a good thing.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
It's clearly mislabeled, as it was concluded in your other thread. 2018 was the only year that cloth seats were an option on anything except for an S/Sport/Rabbit, so someone saw cloth seats and just assumed S.

Fair retail value on a 2018 S with 30k miles is $20,200, while an SE is $24,500, according to Edmunds. At $21,500, it's more than they paid for it, and it's more than fair value for an S, which they believe that it is.

Trim mistakes happen all the time at non-brand dealers. Someone else recently scored a leather 2018 SE with 1,500 miles for under $23k:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54180

Yes is seems like they mislabel many cars in the title though but the prices are still often accurate. I guess I am just sweating in anticipation.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Looks like a great deal. Maybe I’ll see it in Waukesha? :)

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Glad to hear you got it.

Get a PPI and have it checked to ensure the warranty isn’t flagged.

PPI checks out, and maintains warranty... enjoy your steal!

PhonzGTI

Yes it is meant to arrive Monday, I only wrote "may have bought" in my first post because I am really nervous and almost canceled at one point. Carvana is also paying way more for my trade than any local dealership would. I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often. I learned with my current Golf that low mileage on a used car isn't necessary a good thing.

It’s a 2018 so you have 5 years or 60k less the mileage (24 or so k if I recall). I am targeting 2018 to avoid stalling and get the people’s warranty

PhonzGTI

It’s a 2018 so you have 5 years or 60k less the mileage (24 or so k if I recall). I am targeting 2018 to avoid stalling and get the people’s warranty

Make that 72 k and 29k, still a lot.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Brother in law bought M2 and I bought my A3 from Carvana. Saw a couple of S3 listed as A3 but not at A3 prices. My car was much lower priced than other older or higher mileage cars. Turns out the paint was in much worse shape than they noted. Plastic belly pan was beat up too (I bought a new one). Also, had two bad wheel bearings but luckily has plenty of warranty left so got replaced by Audi. Found out it has Audi Care too. Anyway, in my experience, you’ll likely find car was priced about right. Just depends based on inspection and driving for a week if the issues/flaws are ones you can live with or is covered under warranty. Still feel like I got a good deal compared to what was available in my market. Just not the steal it appeared to be.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Glad to hear you got it.

Get a PPI and have it checked to ensure the warranty isn’t flagged.

PPI checks out, and maintains warranty... enjoy your steal!

Is that what I will learn from the diagnostic VW will be doing? I told them I want it scanned to make sure it wasn't tuned. They are charging me $95.

Make that 72 k and 29k, still a lot.

Yes for me anyway, if I drive 8K a year which would be my max unless I move far away from my work which I don't plan to so I'll have the full 4.5 years left.

Brother in law bought M2 and I bought my A3 from Carvana. Saw a couple of S3 listed as A3 but not at A3 prices. My car was much lower priced than other older or higher mileage cars. Turns out the paint was in much worse shape than they noted. Plastic belly pan was beat up too (I bought a new one). Also, had two bad wheel bearings but luckily has plenty of warranty left so got replaced by Audi. Found out it has Audi Care too. Anyway, in my experience, you’ll likely find car was priced about right. Just depends based on inspection and driving for a week if the issues/flaws are ones you can live with or is covered under warranty. Still feel like I got a good deal compared to what was available in my market. Just not the steal it appeared to be.

Well my current Golf is black and the paint is in terrible shape from the previous owner. Unless it's been thru some disasters in the 16 months it was owned I will probably be able to live with some flaws. I will definitely be reporting any undisclosed ones like deep scratches I can't buff out myself. This is also pretty much the only way I can get my payments where I want them to be unless I go older with little to no warranty left.