GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lighter and smaller battery! Anyone?

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Excuse my ignorance but does a lighter battery really make a difference and in what way?

It’s a 30ish pound weight reduction. It’s not a giant difference, but when combined with removing the rear seats, lightweight wheels, lightweight BBK, lightweight racing seats up front, etc. it helps. Just how much? I can’t say, but the internet is full of calculations for weight reduction to quarter mile trap increases.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Auto start/stop is tough on the smaller batteries. I have a G30 in my manual R that didn’t work so well in my PDK Cayman with start/stop.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It’s a 30ish pound weight reduction. It’s not a giant difference, but when combined with removing the rear seats, lightweight wheels, lightweight BBK, lightweight racing seats up front, etc. it helps. Just how much? I can’t say, but the internet is full of calculations for weight reduction to quarter mile trap increases.

Shit, at that rate, mine as well just gut the whole inside and just leave the driver seat and replace the whole exterior with carbon fiber.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Correctomundo! VCDS or OBDEleven.
Also, I followed TecklenburgVW’s first post of that thread for coding, not Mursepaolo’s on the second page. The only thing I did differently is coding the Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Adapted; Teck used 39ah (stating that was the lowest that the system would recognize), however I was able to successfully set the capacity to 13ah (which the Braille G30 is) AFTER changing the battery type to Lithium Ion.

Thanks. So I did 39, no problem.
THen moved to lithium ion. no problem.
Go to change it from JBA to Braille and fails "out of range"
Braille, BRA, Braille Battery. None work.
Went to serial and that didn't work. Out of range. Maybe it needs to be same # of digits and I need to add zeros out front?

I know my vcds is out of date so will download newest but not sure why that would matter. Will go back in and try 13ah too.
Does battery MFG and and serial # really matter?

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Are you guys not going through batteries every 12-16 months? I’d have a hard time justifying saving a few pounds over spending a couple hundred dollars on a battery every year.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Braille has a 10 year warranty. I’ve also had mine for 3 years with 0 issues in a Cayman and now my 19 R

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Shit, at that rate, mine as well just gut the whole inside and just leave the driver seat and replace the whole exterior with carbon fiber.

I love coming across old threads and seeing shit like this.

Sorry to necro

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Drove it to work today. All good.
Still all good? Thinking about this.

Any quirks beyond not sitting in the car while the engine is off?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I run the G30 in my TDI. It shares daily duty with my 2006 Corolla 🤣. But short trips almost exclusively, my commute is less than 2 miles. And I've gone 3 weeks without driving it, started right up.

i will say that if you (against all logic) try to update your AID in the car (8+ hours), even with the charger connected... the battery will get low enough that ODIS loses connection, and you will be on the verge of a panic attack when you go out to the garage to find a dark car and potentially bricked dash.

Other than that, the battery has been great!